• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pronunciation

Rexedgar

Yo-Semite!
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
When i was a student there were two words that have now changed their pronunciation. Appalachian and Caribbean.

Appalachian is now spoken as though the second ‘a’ is spoken as ‘ahh.’ I was taught that the second ‘a’ was a ‘sharp’ a ( I can’t think of an example.)

Appilaechian?

Caribbean is the other one that comes to mind.

I was taught hat it was Caribian, and now it seems that the proper pronunciation is Caribeean, anyone old enough to help me ?

I don't know what the other pronunciation of Appalachian is. I say app-el-A-tion. Caribbean has always been pronounced two different ways. More people probably say it care-ah-BEE-en nowadays because that's how it's pronounced in Pirates of the Caribbean.

Caribbeean is totally this guy's fault.

Weird. I've never heard it pronounced like this with the short a in the 3rd syllable.

I've always been of the opinion that it's apple, as in apple and and achian and in nation.

Caribbean has always been carib be in.

Weird. I've never heard it pronounced like this with the short a in the 3rd syllable.

Josie, just because the people that live there say it that way doesn't mean they're right!

When i was a student there were two words that have now changed their pronunciation. Appalachian and Caribbean.

Appalachian is now spoken as though the second ‘a’ is spoken as ‘ahh.’ I was taught that the second ‘a’ was a ‘sharp’ a ( I can’t think of an example.)

Appilaechian?

I was taught hat it was Caribian, and now it seems that the proper pronunciation is Caribeean, anyone old enough to help me ?
I'm with you here, but I grew-up where everything is pronounced with hard 'A's!

In my state Ohio the southeastern part of the state is part of Appalachia territory and no one around here pronounces it the way your recording rendered.

It is not a short a but a long a in the 3rd syllable such as able, age, agent, acorn etc.

This what I hear now^^ I learned the long ‘a’.

Appilaechian?

I've always remembered both pronunciations for each word. I always go by what the people who live there call it. Which is almost always apple latch en.

Pronunciation is generally an interesting field.

Surely there are also other cases to discuss, where the Pronunciation is doubtful.

Surely there are also other cases to discuss, where the Pronunciation is doubtful.

Scheisse/Schiesse?

I have always pronounced it that way. May be because I live near the mountains and a lot of stuff growing up were named for them.

Norleans or New Orleans?
Pecawn or peecan?

Mauve.

This is actually a highly regional thing. And I have always been fascinated in watching this.

Creek. Is it "crik", or "cree-k"? There are a huge number of words that this can be observed in. And you can even spot sometimes where a person is from by how they pronounce a word.

Case in point, ask somebody who is from Idaho to pronounce their capitol city. They will all pronounce it the same way, and almost universally outsiders will get it wrong. ANd it is not even a complex word.

Boise.

We all pronounce it "Boy-see". Yet almost universally every single outsider for some god damned reason will pronounce it "Boy-zee". Why the Z sound, there is not even a Z in the word!

I was even spotted as a native when I was in the Middle East, as we were watching one of the 2010 bowl games in the chow hall, and BSU was playing. One of the guys I was sitting with mentioned he went to BSU, and asked me who I was rooting for.

I simply said "Why, Boise State of course". And he grinned, and told the guy sitting with him I was from Boise. He was actually from Georgia, but recognized how I said the name of the city and knew I was a local.

And the same can be found of the residents of Teaneck, New Jersey.

Me too. Either, I believe, is correct.

There's another one: either. Is it 'long e' or 'silent-e, long-i'? Ha!

Another regional favorite is the City of Norfolk (Virginia). National media always butcher it. It's supposed to sound more like Naw-F*ck.

And I'll add the capital of North Carolina. Natives say "Rolly." Everyone else goes with Rah-Lee.

And I'll add the capital of North Carolina. Natives say "Rolly." Everyone else goes with Rah-Lee.

Those sound the same to me. R-short o-lee. I think some people say the "a" as a short a.

Appilaechian?

What weirdo teacher did you have that taught a lesson in how to pronounce those words? :lol:

Appilaechian?

I don't know what the other pronunciation of Appalachian is. I say app-el-A-tion. Caribbean has always been pronounced two different ways. More people probably say it care-ah-BEE-en nowadays because that's how it's pronounced in Pirates of the Caribbean.

Caribbeean is totally this guy's fault.

I've always been of the opinion that it's apple, as in apple and and achian and in nation.

Caribbean has always been carib be in.

Josie, just because the people that live there say it that way doesn't mean they're right!

I'm with you here, but I grew-up where everything is pronounced with hard 'A's!

In my state Ohio the southeastern part of the state is part of Appalachia territory and no one around here pronounces it the way your recording rendered.

It is not a short a but a long a in the 3rd syllable such as able, age, agent, acorn etc.

I can't help but picture you all siting around drunk talking about this... :lol:

I can't help but picture you all siting around drunk talking about this... :lol:
Under an alcohol haze, we'd never understand each others' regional dialects! :2razz:

What weirdo teacher did you have that taught a lesson in how to pronounce those words? :lol:

Where did any of my posts give you this impression?

Weirdo teacher? Self projection?

Where did any of my posts give you this impression?

Weirdo teacher? Self projection?

You said that when you were in school you were taught how to pronounce those words. Generally, in school, the one teaching you is a teacher. So... no, no self-projecting at all.

You said that when you were in school you were taught how to pronounce those words. Generally, in school, the one teaching you is a teacher. So... no, no self-projecting at all.

“When i was a student there were two words that have now changed their pronunciation. Appalachian and Caribbean.”

C’mon, Bodi, slow afternoon?

Back
Top Bottom