• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pro-Palestinian valedictorian will no longer give graduation speech over 'alarming' discussion

j brown's body

"A Soros-backed animal"
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
The University of Southern California said its valedictorian will no longer deliver a graduation speech this year, citing "substantial risks relating to security" over social media chatter surrounding the Israel-Hamas conflict. The Los Angeles school revealed that Asna Tabassum, a fourth-year student from Chino Hills, California, was selected as the valedictorian and would give a speech alongside two salutatorians. In a news release Monday, the university said she would no longer speak at the ceremony after the discussion about her selection took on "an alarming tenor." The move comes after some students, alumni and others complained to the university about Tabassum's social media, which includes an Instagram bio that links to a pro-Palestine website.

"The intensity of feelings, fueled by both social media and the ongoing conflict in the Middle East, has grown to include many voices outside of USC and has escalated to the point of creating substantial risks relating to security and disruption at commencement," Provost Andrew Guzman said in a statement. Guzman said the school can not ignore that similar risks led to harassment and violence at other campuses. He added that the school's Department of Public Safety and campus safety team have consulted to evaluate potential threats for graduation, which typically draws around 65,000 people. "This decision is not only necessary to maintain the safety of our campus and students, but is consistent with the fundamental legal obligation – including the expectations of federal regulators – that universities act to protect students and keep our campus community safe," he said.

Link

If I am reading this correctly, she will not be allowed to make the valedictorian speech, which she has earned, not because of what she might say, but because of who she is. If this is true, it is a tragic act of cowardice.

Agreed - I have an allergic reaction to this.

The University of Southern California said its valedictorian will no longer deliver a graduation speech this year, citing "substantial risks relating to security" over social media chatter surrounding the Israel-Hamas conflict. The Los Angeles school revealed that Asna Tabassum, a fourth-year student from Chino Hills, California, was selected as the valedictorian and would give a speech alongside two salutatorians. In a news release Monday, the university said she would no longer speak at the ceremony after the discussion about her selection took on "an alarming tenor." The move comes after some students, alumni and others complained to the university about Tabassum's social media, which includes an Instagram bio that links to a pro-Palestine website.

"The intensity of feelings, fueled by both social media and the ongoing conflict in the Middle East, has grown to include many voices outside of USC and has escalated to the point of creating substantial risks relating to security and disruption at commencement," Provost Andrew Guzman said in a statement. Guzman said the school can not ignore that similar risks led to harassment and violence at other campuses. He added that the school's Department of Public Safety and campus safety team have consulted to evaluate potential threats for graduation, which typically draws around 65,000 people. "This decision is not only necessary to maintain the safety of our campus and students, but is consistent with the fundamental legal obligation – including the expectations of federal regulators – that universities act to protect students and keep our campus community safe," he said.

Link

If I am reading this correctly, she will not be allowed to make the valedictorian speech, which she has earned, not because of what she might say, but because of who she is. If this is true, it is a tragic act of cowardice.

If ever there were suppression of free speech in the name of safety, this is it.

Given that the valedictorian in question herself claims that she is not aware of any safety issue or concern, I wonder whether there is more to this story. The university press release is very short on details - just a couple of vague statements about "safety."

Link

Citing security concerns...right

If ever there were suppression of free speech in the name of safety, this is it.

If they're a state actor, it might indeed be an issue of free speech. Otherwise it's just the other side of the coin we mention to righties when they create threads raging that someone who was invited to speak was told they were no longer welcome.

From what I've heard, the issue was she somewhere linked to a web page that urged for the dissolution of Israel and formation of a single-state, but did so while assuming that peaceful coexistence could be possible in that state with Hamas in power, with the significant support it has.

I see that as more youthful naivety or just a lack of political sensibility. But the fact remains: if Israel was dissolved and Hamas remained, Hamas would set about with the intentional and systemic mechanized genocide Israel is wrongly accused of. That's what they exist for. No better than ISIS. Same goals, even, though ISIS was more of an equal opportunity evil group whereas Hamas is focused on Israel and its Jews.

If they're a state actor, it might indeed be an issue of free speech. Otherwise it's just the other side of the coin we mention to righties when they create threads raging that someone who was invited to speak was told they were no longer welcome.

From what I've heard, the issue was she somewhere linked to a web page that urged for the dissolution of Israel and formation of a single-state, but did so while assuming that peaceful coexistence could be possible in that state with Hamas in power, with the significant support it has.

I see that as more youthful naivety or just a lack of political sensibility. But the fact remains: if Israel was dissolved and Hamas remained, Hamas would set about with the intentional and systemic mechanized genocide Israel is wrongly accused of. That's what they exist for. No better than ISIS. Same goals, even, though ISIS was more of an equal opportunity evil group whereas Hamas is focused on Israel and its Jews.

Either way, those ideas wouldn't have to have been part of her speech.

Congrats to the people attending the graduation.

No one who has ever attended a graduation wished there had been more speeches.

Oh well 🤷‍♀️

She should have policed her social media better then. Shes still valedictorian, she just isn’t speaking.

When the Israeli response elicited the reaction from the ex-pat community, I was surprised. I am still surprised at the size and scope of the protests.

Oh well 🤷‍♀️

She should have policed her social media better then. Shes still valedictorian, she just isn’t speaking.

Indeed. Anyone who is pro-Palestinian needs to shut up about it or expect to be punished for it. That's what free speech is all about. :ROFLMAO:

Given that the valedictorian in question herself claims that she is not aware of any safety issue or concern, I wonder whether there is more to this story. The university press release is very short on details - just a couple of vague statements about "safety."

Agree. If the valedictorian herself is all for speaking, then I cannot see any grounds for canceling her

Link

It said that her Minor is in Resistance to Genocide.

uummmmm ... What?

I am sure that she would have had a calming, rational, non-accusatory speech.

“Although this should have been a time of celebration for my family, friends, professors, and classmates, anti-Muslim and anti-Palestinian voices have subjected me to a campaign of racist hatred because of my uncompromising belief in human rights for all,” she said in a statement released by the Greater Los Angeles Area office of the Council on American-Islamic Relations.

Guess not... She sounds like a lovely person.

I am sure that she would have had a calming, rational, non-accusatory speech.

“Although this should have been a time of celebration for my family, friends, professors, and classmates, anti-Muslim and anti-Palestinian voices have subjected me to a campaign of racist hatred because of my uncompromising belief in human rights for all,” she said in a statement released by the Greater Los Angeles Area office of the Council on American-Islamic Relations.

Guess not... She sounds like a lovely person.

It says her degree is in biomedical engineering. Shouldnt her graduation speech be on that topic? If I were in the audience I would find it astonishing attending a graduation only to be subjected to a hot political speech

It says her degree is in biomedical engineering. Shouldnt her graduation speech be on that topic? If I were in the audience I would find it astonishing attending a graduation only to be subjected to a hot political speech
Agreed. I could see tying world peace in and over-all geopolitical harmony and rights and yadda yadda... but a specific speech on Gaza and Palestinian "oppression" seems like a powder keg, and since she is obviously a racist one sided person that blames everybody but Hamas... well.

Agreed. I could see tying world peace in and over-all geopolitical harmony and rights and yadda yadda...

Exactly! Its supposed to be a joyous occassion, full of hope, positivity, global harmony.

but a specific speech on Gaza and Palestinian "oppression" seems like a powder keg, and since she is obviously a racist one sided person that blames everybody but Hamas... well.

As I started googling up on her- I didnt even have to type the whole name, the first two letters brought up her full name- images of her popped up. I am not a fan of the hijab. It is more a statement of self alienation than a head gear. I once turned a corner and almost ran into a full burqa! Its an eery feeling if you are not prepared. Do I smile and say hi?

Exactly! Its supposed to be a joyous occassion, full of hope, positivity, global harmony.

As I started googling up on her- I didnt even have to type the whole name, the first two letters brought up her full name- images of her popped up. I am not a fan of the hijab. It is more a statement of self alienation than a head gear. I once turned a corner and almost ran into a full burqa! Its an eery feeling if you are not prepared. Do I smile and say hi?
Every time I have seen a man and his slave in a Burka the women seems meek and no-expressive. Never talking and just sitting waiting for a command.

That is different than the Hijab, obviously. I see tons of those and most women seem totally cool with it, just a style, etc.

Back
Top Bottom