• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Poll: 40 percent say Obama's gay marriage stance will affect vote

It really all depends on where those votes are located state to state. The problem with posts listing polls that hand out nationwide numbers is they are meaningless. Some people just don't get that. The state to state breakdown is what counts.

overall your exactly right..

This will be devestating for Hussein Obama............

Poll: 40 percent say Obama's gay marriage stance will affect vote - POLITICO.com

Gallup is out with a new poll suggesting a whopping 40 percent of Americans say President Obama's newly public support of gay marriage will affect their votes.
Of those, 26 percent say it will make them less likely to vote for Obama, while 13 percent say it will make them more likely to vote for him.
The critical number in the poll, though is for independents - 23 percent of whom said the gay marriage support makes it less likely they will vote for Obama.

There was never a snow-ball's chance in hell that I was voting for Obama in the first place. He can say whatever he wants, it won't change my vote for whomever his opponent turns out to be.

Of course that means 60% don't think his stance will not affect the vote. But polls don't mean very much because they are quick decision made on the phone and the only options are yes and no. and November is 6 months away. You seem obsessed with polls.

Don't worry, if the polling numbers change in favor of Obama, you won't hear a peep about polls from him any more.

There was never a snow-ball's chance in hell that I was voting for Obama in the first place. He can say whatever he wants, it won't change my vote for whomever his opponent turns out to be.

What if it was Sarah Palin? You'd put a vindictive under-educated idiot in the WH over a left-of-center moderate DEM who has proven to be one of the best war time Presidents we've ever had?

IMO - that's very short-sighted.

And what is Romney, an educated puppet of the wealthy. Even Norquist said, 'we just need someone with working digits so he can sign bills brought to him by the GOP controlled legislature.' That's all Romney is to them, someone who will do as he's told. Look how he caved into that conservative radio host. He let go one of his top advisors. Even the radio host was sicken by his lack of integrity and conviction.

I agree with many on the far right that the DOE needs to go. They themselves are perfect examples of how public education has failed America.

Yeah.... and..... as education has become increasingly centralized, would you say it has gotten better? Or worse?

Yeah.... and..... as education has become increasingly centralized, would you say it has gotten better? Or worse?

Mixed bag. The problem with the centralized focus is largely on the test scores. Rather than teaching in a way that promotes critical thinking and rounded education, we teach to the test. Our math scores are going up, reading not so much. While that is a relatively new concept and considering that some of the compete idiots here have been out of school for decades, I don't really see how it will make us a better country in the long run. Any fool can look up facts. It takes a good education to foster the capacity to make meaning out of facts.

This will be devestating for Hussein Obama............

Poll: 40 percent say Obama's gay marriage stance will affect vote - POLITICO.com

Gallup is out with a new poll suggesting a whopping 40 percent of Americans say President Obama's newly public support of gay marriage will affect their votes.
Of those, 26 percent say it will make them less likely to vote for Obama, while 13 percent say it will make them more likely to vote for him.
The critical number in the poll, though is for independents - 23 percent of whom said the gay marriage support makes it less likely they will vote for Obama.

and then there is this story - is it accurate? I don't know, just providing a bit of contrast
Top GOP Pollster to GOP: Reverse On Gay Issues

It's a memo circulated by Jan van Lohuizen, a highly respected Republican pollster, (he polled for George W. Bush in 2004), to various leading Republican operatives, candidates and insiders. It's on the fast-shifting poll data on marriage equality and gay rights in general, and how that should affect Republican policy and language. And the pollster's conclusion is clear: if the GOP keeps up its current rhetoric and positions on gays and lesbians, it is in danger of marginalizing itself to irrelevance or worse.

Read the bluntness of this. This is the GOP establishment talking to itself. And the Republican pollster who arguably knows more about the politics of the gay issue than anyone else (how else to explain the Ohio campaign of 2004?) is advising them in no uncertain terms that they need to evolve and fast, if they're not going to damage their brand for an entire generation:

Mixed bag. The problem with the centralized focus is largely on the test scores. Rather than teaching in a way that promotes critical thinking and rounded education, we teach to the test. Our math scores are going up, reading not so much. While that is a relatively new concept and considering that some of the compete idiots here have been out of school for decades, I don't really see how it will make us a better country in the long run. Any fool can look up facts. It takes a good education to foster the capacity to make meaning out of facts.

Well I'll agree on the importance of education - but the places where education is improving and innovating are the places where Federal oversight and control are noticeably absent and not wanted. Centralization hasn't and won't improve education. Since the federal government started becoming increasingly involved education has gotten.... not better. Just more expensive.

andrew-coulson-cato-education-spending2.jpg

The Public school system has been a disaster since the days of LBJ............Billions of dollars have been pored in to it with no improvement .......The only reason its still in existence is because of the teachers unions who has the democrats are in the back pocket of the Union...........

Well I'll agree on the importance of education - but the places where education is improving and innovating are the places where Federal oversight and control are noticeably absent and not wanted. Centralization hasn't and won't improve education. Since the federal government started becoming increasingly involved education has gotten.... not better. Just more expensive.

andrew-coulson-cato-education-spending2.jpg

The graph doesn't appear to be very relevant to the claim made about "education is improving ... where Federal oversight and control are ... absent"

Care to provide some backup to the statement?

The Public school system has been a disaster since the days of LBJ............Billions of dollars have been pored in to it with no improvement .......The only reason its still in existence is because of the teachers unions who has the democrats are in the back pocket of the Union...........

One thing for sure - this poster didn't do very well in his English classes

One thing for sure - this poster didn't do very well in his English classes

You better worry about your hero in the election coming up and not my English my left wing friend....

Tell us then, why the states with the smallest number of union teachers have the worst academic results?

and that whole "worry about my hero" bit - - irrelevant

I think the Obama camp was smart to get out ahead of this issue. It has been a long practice during the election years to distract Americans from the real issues by using wedge issues to divide and conquer the voting populace. The last thing we should be worried about right now is a bunch of queers tying the knot as GOP governors around the country are trying to decimate our educational institutions and worker rights. They want us to work like Chinese or, by God, their fatcat pocket liners will send the work to China.

By election time, this queer issue will be stale and an issue of the past, off the front pages. Timing is everything. More than half of America are softening their homophobic stances of yesteryear and more and more tolerance is sweeping the nation as time goes by. I called it 6 years ago that it wouldn't be long before the scale would tip 50% in favor of the gays. In three-to-four more years I would guess the acceptance numbers to be in the mid to upper 70's.

But even when Obama does make a bold, controversial move such as this, we can count on Romney to come back with something equally as stupid.

I have never seen a nation that loves their president as much as the majority of America loves Obama. Sometimes I think the guy could take a crap on the rug in the middle of the oval office and he would still get the votes.

Even coming out in favor of gay marriage his RCP average STILL has him leading Romney. Go figure.

RealClearPolitics - Election 2012 - General Election: Romney vs. Obama

Tell us then, why the states with the smallest number of union teachers have the worst academic results?

and that whole "worry about my hero" bit - - irrelevant

You do know that the NEA is a national organization right?

History has shown that the sitting president has the best chance for a second term of office.

Tell that to LBJ and Carter......Its true most Republicans due with the exception of Bush one who was defeated because Perot took votes from him otherwise we may have never heard of the unconvicted rapist and perjurer "Slick Willie"

I think the Obama camp was smart to get out ahead of this issue. It has been a long practice during the election years to distract Americans from the real issues by using wedge issues to divide and conquer the voting populace. The last thing we should be worried about right now is a bunch of queers tying the knot as GOP governors around the country are trying to decimate our educational institutions and worker rights. They want us to work like Chinese or, by God, their fatcat pocket liners will send the work to China.

By election time, this queer issue will be stale and an issue of the past, off the front pages. Timing is everything. More than half of America are softening their homophobic stances of yesteryear and more and more tolerance is sweeping the nation as time goes by. I called it 6 years ago that it wouldn't be long before the scale would tip 50% in favor of the gays. In three-to-four more years I would guess the acceptance numbers to be in the mid to upper 70's.

But even when Obama does make a bold, controversial move such as this, we can count on Romney to come back with something equally as stupid.

I have never seen a nation that loves their president as much as the majority of America loves Obama. Sometimes I think the guy could take a crap on the rug in the middle of the oval office and he would still get the votes.

Even coming out in favor of gay marriage his RCP average STILL has him leading Romney. Go figure.

RealClearPolitics - Election 2012 - General Election: Romney vs. Obama

Your hero can be anything you want him to be.........Pro straight marriage on Monday, evolving on Tuesday an Pro SSM on Wednesday on Wednesday....What he thinks won't mean **** though because he will be history then....

Your hero can be anything you want him to be.........Pro straight marriage on Monday, evolving on Tuesday an Pro SSM on Wednesday on Wednesday....What he thinks won't mean **** though because he will be history then....

He had been "evolving" on this issue since around 2010 NP. It is wrong to make people believe that he didn't support same sex marriage at all on Monday (of last week) when he has been "evolving for around 2 years now.

And unless he was/is against marriage altogether, he is still "pro straight marriage" just like the vast majority of people in the US are. Allowing same sex marriage does not mean that you are anti-opposite sex marriage. To think otherwise is ridiculous.

He had been "evolving" on this issue since around 2010 NP. It is wrong to make people believe that he didn't support same sex marriage at all on Monday (of last week) when he has been "evolving for around 2 years now.

And unless he was/is against marriage altogether, he is still "pro straight marriage" just like the vast majority of people in the US are. Allowing same sex marriage does not mean that you are anti-opposite sex marriage. To think otherwise is ridiculous.

In 1996 when he was running for the senate he was pro gay marriage.....give me a break.....

In 1996 when he was running for the senate he was pro gay marriage.....give me a break.....

Actually that was filled out by a staffer who as pro marriage.

Has anyone yet noticed Obama "said and did nothing " on this issue, but the normal , "punt back to state"....

Kind of a shame when ensuring equal treatment under the law for all Americans is an unpopular stance.

Kind of a shame that some want to mutate an institution that has existed for thousands of years in an ongoing effort to normalize gaydome.

Kind of a shame that some want to mutate an institution that has existed for thousands of years in an ongoing effort to normalize gaydome.

That "mutation" has already been done and it has been done by straight people with the high divorce rate that is currently being experienced. Oh you must protect the sanctity of marriage by not allowing gays to marry, yet the divorce rate is over 40% and in some estimates 50% among straight people. Yeah right.

It's kind of a shame that you can marry your cousin in some states but gay marriage is illegal.

Kind of a shame when you refer to it as 'gaydome' , and also do not consider it normal.

I mean, 3 billion years of evolution and we still have this crap?

Back
Top Bottom