• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Police officers should be required to be nice

Other than things like this, you mean?

In the omitted part, yeah, duh, don't mouth off if it's a bad cop. But shouldn't there be a part of the post where you recognize that there shouldn't be bad cops who beat the crap out of people who are aggravating?

"He had it coming" may make sense in a civilian v. civilian context, but not in a government agent vs. civilian context

Any civility on our American society has taken the last train to the coast.

Where did I say that cops should beat the crap outta people?

Where did I say that cops should beat the crap outta people?

I can play that stupid debate board game to: where did I say "RetiredUSN, why do you say cops should be the crap outta people?" Where? No where.

I really don't why people think it's some kind of really clever debate board move to suddenly forget how they usually use the English language. My criticism was focused on the dismissal of police violence as something the recipient had coming.

let's see. Where could I have gotten that?

Act nice to the cops and you will find them to be pretty accommodating and helpful.

Ah, be nice to them, and they won't do something you don't like. Or, perhaps rephrase it as, they will accomodate and help you if you are nice. Let's find out what other principles are in play.

Act like a tool to the cops and you will find them about as accommodating as a warm prison shower.

Ah. If you are a "tool", you receive "prison shower" treatment. (Wait. wait. you didn't say "treatment". Are you literally claiming that the police will give you a warm shower in prison if you are a "tool"? Riiiiiiight)

Anyway, prison showers. What's that? Getting beaten up and/or raped. Don't drop the soap jokes. But, clever you, you didn't say the word "rape" or "beat". You said "prison shower". Guess that means you weren't saying anything at all.

Too many people push them right up to the limit and wonder why they get their asses handed to them.

Ok, Mr. HyperLiteral. Are you now saying that people push cops to the limit, then cops remove their buttocks (that'd be "asses") and/or seize their donkeys, then hand the same to the people?

Of course not. Hyper-literalness is a stupid game to play.

If you run into a bad cop, shut your freaking mouth and report him afterwards.

And I didn't disagree with that sentiment. I merely pointed out that it is quite disturbing to see so-called constitution lovers dismissing police misconduct with the general sentiment that someone had it coming (ok, ok, was a "tool", whatever hypertechnical meaning you ascribe to that).

Last edited:
Far too general, vague or broad to be enforced as law. What level of niceness is required to stop an alleged perp from continuing to commit a crime in progress?

Excuse me sir, but it would be nice if you refrained from beating and stabbing the young woman like that... Oh sorry, my bad, I did not realize that you were in a hurry to eliminate a witness to a prior crime - carry on and we will arrest you shortly after you finish her off.
If a police officer is dealing with an obvious criminal they should use whatever means necessary to stop the criminal, but beyond that police officers should conduct themselves with politeness, courtesy, and respect for others. And this includes, as a matter of fact this mostly is about, when police officers are off duty and engaging in interactions with other people, such as on internet forums.

Maybe we should first focus on not abusing their power and not being so afraid all the time that they regularly kill unarmed civilians in "self defense" before we work on making them be "nice".
Well yes that too, and you're right it should be focused on first. I have a big problem with somebody in a position of authority uses their authority to be a bully.

when yo can be an asshole to citizens, talk **** to citizens, murder folks, and get away with it, then what is the benefit of being 'nice?'

job security man; that's the **** ..............

Act nice to the cops and you will find them to be pretty accommodating and helpful.
Usually I am and you're partially right, however particularly when dealing with cops on internet forums I can tell you from my own experience they can still be jerks even if you are nice. Some cops are like that not all cops.

If a police officer is dealing with an obvious criminal they should use whatever means necessary to stop the criminal, but beyond that police officers should conduct themselves with politeness, courtesy, and respect for others. And this includes, as a matter of fact this mostly is about, when police officers are off duty and engaging in interactions with other people, such as on internet forums.

Most, in fact all but two, that I have interacted with (I'm 64) have been very nice folks. It's amazing that, with all of the morons that they must deal with daily, they still treat strangers like normal sane people.

Usually I am and you're partially right, however particularly when dealing with cops on internet forums I can tell you from my own experience they can still be jerks even if you are nice. Some cops are like that not all cops.

Like I said, report em! ;)

It's amazing that, with all of the morons that they must deal with daily, they still treat strangers like normal sane people.
People choose their occupations. Nobody is forced into an occupation. People who choose to be police officers choose an occupation where they deal with morons.

People choose their occupations. Nobody is forced into an occupation. People who choose to be police officers choose an occupation where they deal with morons.

Agreed, but getting used to dealing with criminal morons on a regular basis can make some small percentage of them jaded enough to forget that most folks are not apt to be criminal morrons simply because someone has called for police attention being given to them (or their location).

No where does my post fit or resemble any authoritarian regime.

People get to see few youtube videos and go straight past stupid declaring that cops are a brutal regime.

If they keep doing that **** and getting away with it, that's reinforcing it and creating more.

Far too general, vague or broad to be enforced as law. What level of niceness is required to stop an alleged perp from continuing to commit a crime in progress?

Excuse me sir, but it would be nice if you refrained from beating and stabbing the young woman like that... Oh sorry, my bad, I did not realize that you were in a hurry to eliminate a witness to a prior crime - carry on and we will arrest you shortly after you finish her off.

Lets be honest here. They pretty much do that already for the most, part minus the politeness.

Sure.

And the citizens that police officers come into contact with should also be required to be nice and if they aren't they should lose their job and perhaps be incarcerated as well.

My last run-in with an officer the guy was a complete ass. After starting our interaction I was polite and respectful in the hopes he would do the same. I should have known better I had met him before and he was a dick then as well and I contacted him.

Make a long story short I lowed myself to his level and spent the night in jail.

Then the jailors decided to mess with me and told several friends that called to make arrangements to release me that I was not there. Not to mention asking for a lawyer several times and being told I had no right to one.

The jailors inside joke was to say they would get me something to read and never bring it. I did catch on right away until I noticed them exchanging glances and smirks.

It's ironic because just a few days before I told my daughter that 99% of LE officials I had met were very nice and professional and I found a whole crew that brought that percentage down.

Most, in fact all but two, that I have interacted with (I'm 64) have been very nice folks. It's amazing that, with all of the morons that they must deal with daily, they still treat strangers like normal sane people.

Try running a bar sometime...

My last run-in with an officer the guy was a complete ass. After starting our interaction I was polite and respectful in the hopes he would do the same. I should have known better I had met him before and he was a dick then as well and I contacted him.

Make a long story short I lowed myself to his level and spent the night in jail.

Then the jailors decided to mess with me and told several friends that called to make arrangements to release me that I was not there. Not to mention asking for a lawyer several times and being told I had no right to one.

The jailors inside joke was to say they would get me something to read and never bring it. I did catch on right away until I noticed them exchanging glances and smirks.

It's ironic because just a few days before I told my daughter that 99% of LE officials I had met were very nice and professional and I found a whole crew that brought that percentage down.

In other words...……... you are not very smart? :lamo

Try running a bar sometime...

I have worked as a bartender before and, thankfully, enjoyed the help of our local M/C clubs in maintaining order. Calling the police is frowned upon by bar owners since LEO 'visits' are not good for business.

They should be courteous and professional like all public servants should be. Yes, when apprehending a suspect physical force and assertive language are necessary to resolve the conflict as quickly and safely as possible. But cops should not be abusing their authority just because somebody “disrespects” them. If have no tolerance for assholes then public service, or even customer service, is not the career for you.

I have worked as a bartender before and, thankfully, enjoyed the help of our local M/C clubs in maintaining order. Calling the police is frowned upon by bar owners since LEO 'visits' are not good for business.

Yip, I managed a hotel bar on the Mississippi with boat slips and one of our bars was an outdo deck bar. Bikers are just like cops, most are good people, however there are exceptions.

Now people who have been out in the sun on the river all day and come to see a band start out as a special kind of drunk, so we had more than our share of trouble.

I only called LE as a last resort. The phone behind the bar didn't even call out however I did use it to fake people out a lot.

Yip, I managed a hotel bar on the Mississippi with boat slips and one of our bars was an outdo deck bar. Bikers are just like cops, most are good people, however there are exceptions.

Now people who have been out in the sun on the river all day and come to see a band start out as a special kind of drunk, so we had more than our share of trouble.

I only called LE as a last resort. The phone behind the bar didn't even call out however I did use it to fake people out a lot.

It is amazing how much respect even the meanest, loudest and nastiest drunk shows to a rather large biker (or two or three) 'asking' them to leave (while still able to do so under their own power).

In other words...……... you are not very smart? :lamo

That remains to be seen, I flustered him enough that he cut corners. He has me dead to rights on two tickets, but I think I can get the two big ones thrown out. I will talk to a lawyer this week.

It is amazing how much respect even the meanest, loudest and nastiest drunk shows to a rather large biker (or two or three) 'asking' them to leave (while still able to do so under their own power).

Yah I've had bikers back me up more than once, but I have had to remove them as well...

Back
Top Bottom