• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pittsburgh protesters shut down highway for hours over fatal police shooting of unarmed teen [W:425]

Re: Pittsburgh protesters shut down highway for hours over fatal police shooting of unarmed teen Ant

People routinely blow up with no facts. “unarmed black youth shot by cops” sounds like a hit, doesn’t it? But the facts tell a different story. They fit the description and gave the officer probable cause to stop them. Refusing to cooperate is a major no-no on a felony stop.

Some how America has lost its mind. They are fighting the police, the are fighting the White House, and they are fighting everyday people trying to use the highway.

I stongly suspect outside forces are taking advantage and formenting chaos to weaken the country. BTW, IMO, they are winning.

we live in a society that has thrown out all logic and reason
and only feeling and emotional outrage is allowed.

it is the lowest base a society can go to before it collapses.

Re: Pittsburgh protesters shut down highway for hours over fatal police shooting of unarmed teen Ant

So we're not doing the second amendment anymore? Or do we just not care about the second amendment when the person is black?

sorry the 2nd amendment doesn't allow you to do a drive by shooting.

It's in your link.

No. Not one word you said was in my OP link. Are you going to join this thread for real or just keep lying?

The guns were found in the car after the fact, and the probability that this kids either was a murderer, or an accessory to murder...is VERY high.

BLM is like the boy who cried wolf.

"McDonough confirmed that Antwon was not armed and that no shots were fired at the officers."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...t-down-protest-black-teens-killing/724754002/

Again.

When will we change things?

When people no longer engage in drivebys...

The shooting happened about 8:40 p.m. Tuesday after East Pittsburgh Officer Michael Rosfeld pulled over a car that had bullet damage to a back window matching the description of a car wanted in connection with a shooting in a nearby town about 15 minutes earlier. As Rosfeld was taking the driver into custody, the video showed Rose and another passenger exit the back door and start running.

I'll meet you there...some of this HAS been brought on to themselves by the police themselves. Even if it's only 1%, that's a lot of cops. But that's not the REAL reason for the massive distrust in my opinion. It's the penchant of good officers closing ranks to protect the few bad that has eroded certain factions of the publics trust. However, I also understand the police point of view as well, as this story, and countless untold numbers of others illustrates.

Yes, man, I agree with you completely. I think the closing ranks around that 1% of bad cops (or whatever the number is...I tend to think it's higher, but by no means the majority....though, that would change from precinct to precinct, region to region, and I have no way to prove it, so we'll use your number for this chat) does imply complicity, at least to some extent. Cops need to own that, and figure out how to make it better.

That said, I also have sympathy for the police...for the good ones I have nothing but admiration, respect, and gratitude. I've met good cops, great cops. They have a tough job, and today's climate is incredibly difficult...though, per the above, a lot of the complications are of their own making. And the world isn't getting less crazy...

But, good grief, they need to get a handle on their body count. If they're not careful, they are going to get to the point where the majority of people stop trusting them, and then what are they going to do? I think we need to pressure the cops to clean house, if only for selfish reasons, as once the general public stop trusting and respecting the police, they are completely ineffective, and we are completely unprotected.

As for this case specifically, I always try hard to be disciplined about keeping an open mind until the investigation is done, but I have to admit, my gut always pulls towards suspicion. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying that's how I've come to feel. As I said, a mess.

No. Not one word you said was in my OP link. Are you going to join this thread for real or just keep lying?

That the guns were found in the car, and that city officials are confident it was the same car used in the drive by, is in one of the last paragraphs in the linked story.

That the kid is likely a murderer, or an accessory to such, is my speculation on the above facts, though, it seems, from another story, it turns out the victim lived, so, just attempted murder, and assault with a deadly weapon.

If I was stuck on the highway for hours because some turds are throwing a fit in the highway yeah I would be greatly inconvenienced.

Who was stuck on the highway for hours?

Pretend you're the cop. Knowing what you currently know, that this car and its occupants were just involved in a drive by shooting in which someone was murdered...and one has gotten out and is running on foot....

Do you consider that person a potential threat?

Is someone running away from me on foot a threat... hmmm... On one hand he's running away with his back to me.. on the other hand he's black... so.. yeah.. tough call.

Is someone running away from me on foot a threat... hmmm... On one hand he's running away with his back to me.. on the other hand he's black... so.. yeah.. tough call.

Not to you (the officer) , but to others on and around the scene. Sorry, should have been more specific with my wording.

there is more to the story than just your link.

The kids in the car were armed they found 2 semi-automatic pistols.
The same car was used in a drive within several hours earlier.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/21/us/east-pittsburgh-police-fatal-shooting-antwon-rose/index.html

so your story seems to be missing some facts.

I don't care. Police officers should stop murdering unarmed civilians.

so it sounds like you want to put on the uniform, and face the decisions they face

lots of job openings

approx 35-40k per year

that way people can put your every decision through a microscope and decide whether or not you are a decent human being

sounds fun, yeah?

which has nothing to do with it.

The car was in a drive by shooting earlier.
the police found 2 semi-automatic pistols and there was gun shot damage to the car.

the police ordered them to stop and they refused.

if this kid was such a good kid why is he engaged in drive by shootings?
you realize that him and his friends shot a 22 year old black boy earlier?

where is the protest about that?
this seems more gang related than anything.

so it sounds like you want to put on the uniform, and face the decisions they face

lots of job openings

approx 35-40k per year

that way people can put your every decision through a microscope and decide whether or not you are a decent human being

sounds fun, yeah?

The OP doesn't care about facts.

The kid was armed. they found 2 semi-automatic pistols in the car.

That's what I thought this thread was about, too.

Given the title.

You were wrong. It was just opened to be a Regressive Left circle jerk bemoaning the loss of another violent criminal.

Did you read your six-sentence linked article? Here's one of those sentences.

"Allegheny County Police deny the video shows Rose firing the weapon."

They haven't said Rose was the one who was shooting, but they have said that shots came from the car and that the car was shot in return. There were bullet holes in the car.

Rose, whether or not he did the actual shooting, would be charged with murder anyway, given that he (if he wasn't the shooter) was involved in a felony in which someone was murdered.

So, now let's look closer at the story. And, by the way, that was not my linked article, the link came from the article you cited in the OP.

If the cops find the car that was in the drive-by (meaning someone in the car is a murderer) they pull the car over and one of the people in the car tries to run for it -- what should the cops do? Do they have the right to shoot a potential murderer? Or, should they allow him to escape and potentially kill more people?

It would have been nice if the cops could have apprehended him without shooting him, but given the circumstances, I don't think a grand jury is going to indict any officer. Sounds like the kid was a gang-banger, and life expectancy is not too good for kids that participate in that activity.

Now, I could be wrong -- the stories could all be wrong -- but, it's not looking too good for the kid's innocence right now.

So we're not doing the second amendment anymore? Or do we just not care about the second amendment when the person is black?

second amendment is fine

but most people dont run when confronted by cops, unless guilty of something

if this is what they are taught by their parents, mentors, guardians, then the blame lies with them

what should be done is....hands on steering wheel, or in plain sight....no sudden movements....and IF carrying, announce to cop so as soon as possible after stop

DO NOT REACH but announce the weapon

if people followed these basics...there would be a whole hell of a lot less problems with street stops

You were wrong. It was just opened to be a Regressive Left circle jerk bemoaning the loss of another violent criminal.

Yeah, I did figure that out.

From the news so far, it appears as if the kid wasn't a great example of a shining American youth.

I'm sorry he went down the wrong path -- but where were his parents?

Who was stuck on the highway for hours?

Quoted from the article: "Traffic on the highway was backed up for hours by the demonstrators"

Anybody in that traffic.

there is more to the story than just your link.

The kids in the car were armed they found 2 semi-automatic pistols.
The same car was used in a drive within several hours earlier.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/21/us/east-pittsburgh-police-fatal-shooting-antwon-rose/index.html

so your story seems to be missing some facts.

If I were you I'd at least pretend to not be so overtly racist. Imagine that was a white guy in suit. Would you feel the same way?

If I were you I'd at least pretend to not be so overtly racist. Imagine that was a white guy in suit. Would you feel the same way?

Yep i would.
your projection of BS is just that BS.

Where is your outrage that these kids earlier were involved in a drive by where a 22 year old was shot in the stomach?
luckily he survived. SO where is your outrage for him?

I don't see it? why? his life didn't matter i guess.

It doesn't matter if it is a white guy in a suit or a white guy in rags.
It doesn't matter if they are hispanic or asian.

facts are facts.

If it was a white guy in a suit that was involved with in a drive by i would support the cops in shooting him as well.
your poor ass race card failed.

PS you might want to learn what racism is before shouting it at everyone.

Not to you (the officer) , but to others on and around the scene. Sorry, should have been more specific with my wording.

Hmm... is it your opinion that a "suspect" exiting the vehicle and running away is posing a threat of death or serious injury?

The fact was that the car contained *gasp* guns and the running away "immediate threat" shot did not have a gun seems to indicate that the runner was trying to distance himself from being considered an immediate threat.

SWAG of the thought process of the runner: As a passenger in a car with incriminating evidence including guns that was just pulled over - should I stay close to the guns or leave the area in a hurry while the officer is busy with the driver? Maybe he won't shoot a fleeing unarmed person, at a distance and in the back, but is more apt to get the willies and shoot me at close range if (when?) he sees guns in the car before he has even cuffed the driver. Which course of action gives the officer more plausible cover for his "I feared for my life" story after freaking out and shooting me?

No I don't think it will. Sitting in the highway blocking people from getting to their jobs doesn't make people care about your cause it makes people hate you.

I don't know when we decided that protests would be just to inconvenience as many people as possible.

But no I don't think this will have any bearing on it I believe this will have aggravated and more people then the death of Antoine.

That end do we have the facts of whether or not the shooting was justified? If we don't then the protesters inconvenience to everybody for no reason

But it doesn't matter really this is not how you affect change. I think they're just happens to be far more apathy toward this sort of thing then empathy.

I personally don't know this is the first I've heard of Antoine being shot by police.

Ok, ignore the protest. Do you not see anything wrong with its impetus?

Hmm... is it your opinion that a "suspect" exiting the vehicle and running away is posing a threat of death or serious injury?

The fact was that the car contained *gasp* guns and the running away "immediate threat" shot did not have a gun seems to indicate that the runner was trying to distance himself from being considered an immediate threat.

SWAG of the thought process of the runner: As a passenger in a car with incriminating evidence including guns that was just pulled over - should I stay close to the guns or leave the area in a hurry while the officer is busy with the driver? Maybe he won't shoot a fleeing unarmed person, at a distance and in the back, but is more apt to get the willies and shoot me at close range if (when?) he sees guns in the car before he has even cuffed the driver. Which course of action gives the officer more plausible cover for his "I feared for my life" story after freaking out and shooting me?

As a op, I think, this is the car being driven by a couple kids who just tried to murder someone in cold blood. Oh, and there they go, running down the street...what if he tries to take a hostage or hijack another car? Yelling at him to stop obviously isn't working.

One has nothing to do with the other. And blocking everyone from traveling and some circumstances that could be considered kidnapping or arrest, is not to going to stop anything that's happening from happening.

It was a poor protest move.

That's your opinion. Got it. The protest is directly related to the death of Antwon.

Back
Top Bottom