• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Parkland teacher arrested after leaving gun in public lavatory

Who said anything about "not touching them"? You're making **** up again because you ....fill in the blanks.

So people who commit massacres "don't know how to use guns"? GOD **** THAT SO ****ING STUPID
You're not also ombniscient and know with 100% certainty what 100 people will do at any given time in any given place?

How many people get infractions for trying to respond to the -absolute stupid horse **** you write?

why can you not quote me fully?
why do you have to be dishonest?

you are leaving out important and detailed parts of my post on purpose.
Nothing i said was stupid or horse crap i am responding to your OP.

you left out a very critical piece of my post because you want to be dishonest.

you put 100 criminals in the room with them that is the only time gun violence will escalate.

it happens multiple times a year across the country.

you have millions of people that show up to gun shows, gun shoots, and shooting ranges around the country.
you never hear about those people going off and shooting someone or a bunch of people.

The teacher should have never left it alone in public.
that is where they messed up..
So you have a machine that will detect with 100% accuracy which teachers will mess up?
Are you also saying that murderers who respect guns, can't commit gun violence because they respect the gun?

Of course not, because saying such things would be incredibly stupid, and more people would die because you'd be promoting false B.S. on matters of gun safety.

What the man did was wrong, but teachers aren't any more likely to have a moment of lapse than anyone else.

True Dat. Now the problem here isn't the newbie carrying a deadly weapon is a teacher but rather a newbie and the carry of that weapon isn't there primary duty.

Back in AIT down at Ft Puke I wish I had a nickel for every M16 one of us trainees left unattended. The Drills ahhh motivated us to learn to hold onto our weapons tighter than any lover we had or will ever have... ;)

The problem is quite evident in the big box stores. New employees leave their electronic devices here, there and everywhere. (and they get a holster or most likely their back pocket for the device.)

Until muscle memory is developed the tendency is to ditch or forget the object that just takes up room, is heavy, gets in the way.

I've been stopped at checkpoints for forgetting my Gerber clip knife is on me, once at Independence Hall in Philly... I'm so used to carrying it I forget I am- the opposite of newbies who forget they NEED to keep track of something.

This is why the Luby Cafeteria lady's story just doesn't ring true. If she ALWAYS carried her pistol EVERYWHERE she went but only because Luby had a sign (as if theirs was the first sign she ever saw/ignored) she would 'forget' she was carrying it as it now is muscle memory and have had it inside.

I don't see armed teachers as a viable solution- more like a cheap skate 'answer' then a more systematic solution must be approved and money spent on. Time to quit pretending schools don't need the same level of security our politicians, judges and other PUBLIC tax payer facilities have... :peace

I disagree. Young kids are typically drawn to playing 'cops & robbers' & 'old west' scenarios with guns. I grew up with a love of my cap pistol. It's not the bad guys who will promote the violence but the young & untutored who will think they are playing with innocent toys. The more guns the more the probability of violence.

I grew up with cap pistols, BB guns, and the real things. At 8 or so I knew the difference.

Nearly every kid in my school possessed both by the age of 12. There were no school shootings, and very few accidents.

I disagree. Young kids are typically drawn to playing 'cops & robbers' & 'old west' scenarios with guns. I grew up with a love of my cap pistol. It's not the bad guys who will promote the violence but the young & untutored who will think they are playing with innocent toys. The more guns the more the probability of violence.

Your high school had a lot of teenagers "playing cops and robbers"?

What the ****? :lol:

Parkland teacher arrested after leaving gun in public lavatory - BBC News

A teacher from the Florida high school where 17 people were shot dead two months ago has been arrested after leaving his gun in a public toilet.

Sean Simpson, 43, absentmindedly left the loaded weapon inside a cubicle, says Broward County Sheriff's Office.
==============================================
I think this shows why teachers shouldn't be armed with guns.

Of course you know what that means: we need to buy more guns. #nrasolutions

Who said anything about "not touching them"? You're making **** up again because you ....fill in the blanks.

So people who commit massacres "don't know how to use guns"? GOD **** THAT SO ****ING STUPID
You're not also ombniscient and know with 100% certainty what 100 people will do at any given time in any given place?

How many people get infractions for trying to respond to the -absolute stupid horse **** you write?

Probably just you....

Hmm... so long as teachers commit their gun crime off of school property then they pose no risk. Does this apply to any and all criminal acts by teachers or school officials?

He may or may not pose a risk, but leaving a gun in a bathroom off school grounds when he wasn't working doesn't make him a danger to teach. I don't understand your correlation.

(pss it was sarcasm. I'm apparently terrible at it if you thought any rational human would be serious that leaving loaded guns around would decrease gun violence...such is the state of gun culture I suppose).

I gotcha. I'm sorry but given some of the statements I have seen on DP I missed the sarcasm.

no it doesn't.
loaded guns do not increase gun violence. i could put 2m loaded guns in a room with a group of law abiding citizens and gun violence would be 0.

if you do the same and throw a bunch of criminals then yes gun violence would escalate.

And when you leave one loaded in a public place where random people have access to it?

No, he shouldn't.

He was arrested, so he has been charged with a firearm related crime. If convicted of said crime, he will be a criminal, albeit a minor, absentminded one, as no one was injured when the gun was fired. But a criminal none-the-less. At the least, you don't think he should get some mandatory training before regaining his right to carry?

He may or may not pose a risk, but leaving a gun in a bathroom off school grounds when he wasn't working doesn't make him a danger to teach. I don't understand your correlation.

OK, someone that is only arrested for posing a danger to the general pubic is fine to work in a school.

actually it does. i know it was sarcasm it was a very poor attempt at sarcasm.
you are confusing things as always.

a gun or 1000 guns on a table loaded with no on touching them will not escalate anything.
if you put 100 people that know how to use guns in the room with them then again no gun violence will escalate

you put 100 people that no knowing about guns then yes there is a greater chance that someone will shoot themselves or possible someone
else but that is no gun violence as it is accidental.

you put 100 criminals in the room with them that is the only time gun violence will escalate.

I disagree with your absolute version of this. For example: There are road rage incidents where persons without criminal records, in legal possession of a firearm suddenly became criminals the instant they fired a weapon in anger. The same can be said of some who killed a spouse, or shot an officer who responded to a domestic incident. Five minutes ago they were law abiding citizens. And an instant later, they are not. If the gun had not been there, easily accessed, some of these would not have happened. The road rage death may have been a fistfight. The spouse may have only been beaten up.
I am not anti gun and own a nice variety, some of which I have been shooting for almost 50 years. But we need to have a conversation about this. A generation is going to be voting who may not think so much of the 2nd amendment. If we want to avoid onerous regulation and registration, we better be ready to meet in the middle somewhere.

He was arrested, so he has been charged with a firearm related crime. If convicted of said crime, he will be a criminal, albeit a minor, absentminded one, as no one was injured when the gun was fired. But a criminal none-the-less. At the least, you don't think he should get some mandatory training before regaining his right to carry?

Maybe....

But, people who get into traffic accidents where there are no fatalities don't lose their driving priviledges and most times, even when there is a fatality.

Maybe....

But, people who get into traffic accidents where there are no fatalities don't lose their driving priviledges and most times, even when there is a fatality.

A traffic accident where one dies due to negligence is called negligent homicide. They lose a lot more than driving privileges. You'll have to try harder.

A traffic accident where one dies due to negligence is called negligent homicide. They lose a lot more than driving privileges. You'll have to try harder.

Not 100% of the time, it isn't.

A teacher from the Florida high school where 17 people were shot dead two months ago has been arrested after leaving his gun in a public toilet.

Sean Simpson, 43, absentmindedly left the loaded weapon inside a cubicle, says Broward County Sheriff's Office.

These are the people gun nutters want armed

And when you leave one loaded in a public place where random people have access to it?

Please go back and read what I posted. I have already answered this.
So I am not going to repeat my self again.

I disagree with your absolute version of this. For example: There are road rage incidents where persons without criminal records, in legal possession of a firearm suddenly became criminals the instant they fired a weapon in anger. The same can be said of some who killed a spouse, or shot an officer who responded to a domestic incident. Five minutes ago they were law abiding citizens. And an instant later, they are not. If the gun had not been there, easily accessed, some of these would not have happened. The road rage death may have been a fistfight. The spouse may have only been beaten up.
I am not anti gun and own a nice variety, some of which I have been shooting for almost 50 years. But we need to have a conversation about this. A generation is going to be voting who may not think so much of the 2nd amendment. If we want to avoid onerous regulation and registration, we better be ready to meet in the middle somewhere.

Disagree all you want to. MIT also depends in the road rage incident and who fired the shot.
For a while here we had a rash of road rage incidents. Then a few of those people got shot no charges
Because it was considered self defense and it stopped for a while.

You are talking about outliers that are outside the mainstream dataset.

That is why the younger generation needs to be taught and educated.
All they hear are guns bad.

Over 50% of shootings are suicide he other 30-40% are gang or drug related.
I would say 5% are accidental 4% are actual homicides and 2% are mass shootings.

Most gun violence happens with pistols not rifles.

It's called a mistake and it happens to the best of us.

School resource officer leaves gun in faculty restroom

School resource officer leaves gun in faculty restroom | Fox News

Off-duty Phoenix officer leaves gun at Hamilton High School

https://www.abc15.com/news/region-southeast-valley/chandler/gun-found-on-campus-at-hamilton-high-school-friday

Secret Service agent leaves loaded gun in bathroom of Romney's charter plane

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/246559-secret-service-agent-forgets-weapon-in-romney-plane-bathroom

Capitol cops left guns in bathroom stalls, sources say

https://www.cnn.com/2015/05/01/politics/capitol-police-leave-guns-in-bathroom-stalls/index.html

Disagree all you want to. MIT also depends in the road rage incident and who fired the shot.
For a while here we had a rash of road rage incidents. Then a few of those people got shot no charges
Because it was considered self defense and it stopped for a while.

You are talking about outliers that are outside the mainstream dataset.

That is why the younger generation needs to be taught and educated.
All they hear are guns bad.

Over 50% of shootings are suicide he other 30-40% are gang or drug related.
I would say 5% are accidental 4% are actual homicides and 2% are mass shootings.

Most gun violence happens with pistols not rifles.

And if you look at results of your education policy, it is not very effective and will fail.

Anyone that stupid shouldn't be teaching school.

As a fellow Veteran, and an old school Debatespolitics alumni, I really, really want you to consider this:

- The "Conservative" response to the exponential rise of mass shootings is to arm civilian teachers who cannot possibly ever have the proper understanding of what a gun means in terms of our historical Revolutionary brethren.

- The civilian teacher's job is to educate, not to play the part of a combatant in an exacerbated idea of urban warfare.

When one simply leaves his gun for public discovery after taking his daily ****, perhaps we need to actually move beyond the ignorant politics of the issue? The earned rate, others don't. After so many disastrous events, and so many refusals to actually protect our Second Amendment Right against those who do no rate and would sacrifice that Right by supporting the abusers with their nonchalant attitudes, perhaps it is time to emerge? Because in the end, educators are trained to educate, they do not trained to defend.

Back
Top Bottom