• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

One million species face extinction, U.N. report says. And humans will suffer as a result.

HenryChinaski

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
https://www.washingtonpost.com/clim...ns-will-suffer-result/?utm_term=.75d8e28ea67d
Up to 1 million plant and animal species are on the verge of extinction, with alarming implications for human survival, according to a United Nations report released Monday.

The report’s findings underscore the conclusions of previous scientific studies that say human activity is wreaking havoc on the wild kingdom, threatening the existence of living things ranging from giant whales to small flowers and insects that are almost impossible to see with the naked eye.
The report has a positive spin, saying that “it is not too late to make a difference.” But that difference requires more than 100 developing and nondeveloped nations to work together to bring about change.

Nations that signed off on the study’s findings acknowledged that opposition from rich people invested in the status quo is expected.

“Since 1992, we’ve been telling the world we have a problem,” Watson said. “Now what’s different? It’s much worse today than it was in 1992. We’ve wasted all of the time . . . the last 25 years.” However, he said, “we have a much better understanding of the links between climate change, biodiversity, and food security and water security.”
This is disturbing and we should all be paying attention.

Nah.

As long as our unsustainable economic ways can squeeze out the final drops of profit for the wealthiest 1% I’ll be happy as my children starve, because that’s what freedom is all about.

Some of us are already paying attention... but Republicans love big oil... big business... and big pollution, zero ****s are given from that camp what is being killed off in the process.

Some of us are already paying attention... but Republicans love big oil... big business... and big pollution, zero ****s are given from that camp what is being killed off in the process.

Sadly, I think that the only thing that would be a wake-up call is a major famine in their own backyards. Anything less is all lies and a liberal enviro-nazi conspiracy.

Everyone thinks there will be enough chairs once the music stops...

Maybe all these species should just pull themselves up by their bootstraps.

Maybe all these species should just pull themselves up by their bootstraps.

Our only savior is OAC and Bernie Sanders... LOL. I have a few species in my back yard I'm doing my damnedest to make extinct.

And BTW, if they are going extinct, they were circling the drain anyway, and were one bad day away from the end anyway. It is a fate that has met many species before us. It's natures way of moving the genetics of the planet forward to be more in sync with the needs of the planet.

People won't be looking at this history as Left vs Right, but right versus wrong. One side stands with taking collective responsibility for our hand on nature, and the other stands in opposition to saving our precious ecology on the planet. What will chants for the Wall or Brexit look like as the habitibility of human life on this degraded?

This issue alone is enough to dismiss the entire modern conservative movement. What freedom is that of self-destruction as another poster indicated? These animals too however deserve to be preserved on their own merits, we shouldn't unnecessarily destroy and harm life or upset delicate ecosystems. We really have no ideas the forces we are working with and how interconnected nature really is, but we do know that the man has got to make profits.

Our only savior is OAC and Bernie Sanders... LOL. I have a few species in my back yard I'm doing my damnedest to make extinct.

And BTW, if they are going extinct, they were circling the drain anyway, and were one bad day away from the end anyway. It is a fate that has met many species before us. It's natures way of moving the genetics of the planet forward to be more in sync with the needs of the planet.
To be in sync with what the planet needs? I don't think you understand science, or much of anything else judging by the content of this post.

Its just not worth engaging anymore, history can judge apathetic people like you.

Well according to the article its humans who are doing all the damage. So what do they propose to fix it? Mass genocide? Do a Thanos thing and wipe out half the world's population?

Well according to the article its humans who are doing all the damage. So what do they propose to fix it? Mass genocide? Do a Thanos thing and wipe out half the world's population?

Great, you will end up speaking right to the 'Sodom and Gomorrah' crowd with that thinking. Thanks!

Our only savior is OAC and Bernie Sanders... t.

LAFFRIOT( both phoneys most assuredly running their AC at full blast on a sorta hot May day in DC)

chuckiechan;1070049958. said:
I have a few species in my back yard I'm doing my damnedest to make extinct.
t.
LAFFRIOT- If only!

LAFFRIOT!

So what we all will be dead in 12 years according to many on the left! :cuckoo:

Wow, then we need to implement a wealth tax, single payer and move to a centralized economy ASAP to save the animals.

Just curious, what does single payer and a wealth tax have to do with Climate change ? Because that's in dip****s New Green Deal.

A balanced budget is very important, otherwise it's difficult to approve any Anti-AGW policies.

A balanced budget is very important, otherwise it's difficult to approve any Anti-AGW policies.

Lol...

AOC and Bernie Sanders ar MMT supporters. I promise you they could both couldn't care less about balancing our budget

Besides, their wealth tax wouldn't balance the budget. Besides, a wealth tax will not balance the budget.

France abandons it's wealth tax after 2 years of falling revenues and stagnant GDP
Hollande's 75% 'Supertax' Failure A Blow To Piketty's Economics

Sadly, I think that the only thing that would be a wake-up call is a major famine in their own backyards. Anything less is all lies and a liberal enviro-nazi conspiracy.

No...they'll just blame liberals.

And we are overfishing the sea and wiping them out. Plus all the pollution is harming phytoplankton, that provides more than 1/2 of the worlds CO2 consumption and oxygen production. I have no hope, humans are greedy, and many are just plain stupid so they will continue to allow the greedy people to destroy the planet.

Yeah, except the systems we use to grow our food, produce clean water, etc. etc. all depend on (at least some of) those species that we are now killing. So long as you don't mind humans also becoming extinct, I suppose there's nothing wrong with your view...

Name the million species.

It is estimated there are 9 million species. Which 1 million are going extinct? I know quite a few virus and bacteria face extinction due to vaccinations. Maybe humans should stop doing that.

And we are overfishing the sea and wiping them out. Plus all the pollution is harming phytoplankton, that provides more than 1/2 of the worlds CO2 consumption and oxygen production. I have no hope, humans are greedy, and many are just plain stupid so they will continue to allow the greedy people to destroy the planet.

That you are burning electricity to post on this forum puts you into the "greedy people" category. If there is a problem, the problem isn't some "them," its "you."

I agree that chemical poisoning the oceans is the true environmental potential crisis, not climate change.

The primary area of extinction will be in Africa as they continue to develop their land as agricultural land - just like every other region of the world does.

For the USA, the government should vote that everyone has to get out of NYC and LA and give it back to nature.

That you are burning electricity to post on this forum puts you into the "greedy people" category. If there is a problem, the problem isn't some "them," its "you."

I agree that chemical poisoning the oceans is the true environmental potential crisis, not climate change.

The primary area of extinction will be in Africa as they continue to develop their land as agricultural land - just like every other region of the world does.

For the USA, the government should vote that everyone has to get out of NYC and LA and give it back to nature.
This is a problem.

Lol...

AOC and Bernie Sanders ar MMT supporters. I promise you they could both couldn't care less about balancing our budget

Besides, their wealth tax wouldn't balance the budget. Besides, a wealth tax will not balance the budget.

France abandons it's wealth tax after 2 years of falling revenues and stagnant GDP
Hollande's 75% 'Supertax' Failure A Blow To Piketty's Economics

Funny how the last president to balance the budget was Bill Clinton. Barack Obama reduced the deficit in 5 of his 8 years. It would have been more, had it not been for GW Bush's worst presidential pass-on since the Great Depression.

That said, I prefer Hickenlooper to Sanders, with Biden as a 2nd option. Hickenlooper did a great job as Governor in my state of Colorado.

Funny how the last president to balance the budget was Bill Clinton. Barack Obama reduced the deficit in 5 of his 8 years. It would have been more, had it not been for GW Bush's worst presidential pass-on since the Great Depression.

That said, I prefer Hickenlooper to Sanders, with Biden as a 2nd option. Hickenlooper did a great job as Governor in my state of Colorado.

The President doesn't have any authority over appropriations, that's Congress's job

Also AOC and Bernie Sanders are not Bill Clinton. A wealth tax wouldn't balance the budget so it wouldn't fight climate change.
Honestly, the GND has nothing to do with Climate change and everything to do with moving the US towards a centralized economy.

Back
Top Bottom