• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ohio student suspended for staying in class during National Walkout Day

Irrelevant. Schools, especially public schools, teach readin', 'ritin', and 'rithmatic.

Not very well it would seem.

Not the teachers's political views.

Reasonable point.

Would you condone teachers teaching kids that abortion and gay marriage are an abomination?

Would that be the teachers teaching kids that - in the teacher's opinion - "abortion and gay marriage are abominations?" - No.

Would that be the teachers teaching kids that - in fact - "abortion and gay marriage are abominations"?

Lie, and say yes.

I rather prefer to think in more than one shade of black.

PS - Wouldn't teaching kids that - in fact - "abortions and gay marriage are abominations" be teaching the kids the teacher's political views since, according to the laws of the United States of America they are not and teaching that laws should be changed automatically falls into the "political" category?

Not very well it would seem.

Agreed! Abolish the Federal Department of Education.

Reasonable point.

Thank you!

Would that be the teachers teaching kids that - in the teacher's opinion - "abortion and gay marriage are abominations?" - No.

Agreed!

Would that be the teachers teaching kids that - in fact - "abortion and gay marriage are abominations"?

I rather prefer to think in more than one shade of black.

PS - Wouldn't teaching kids that - in fact - "abortions and gay marriage are abominations" be teaching the kids the teacher's political views since, according to the laws of the United States of America they are not and teaching that laws should be changed automatically falls into the "political" category?

Yes, exactly! Grade school serves to teach kids how to think, not what to think.

Who says, you? The school apparently had different plans for the protest and chose to assign resources as they saw appropriate.

Was the student in the room when the teacher left?

The majority of teachers are empathetic and progressive...Most would support hateful Right Wing Bull**** like that

yes, trying to prevent babies from being killed is "hateful". you are on point as usual.

Is the typical field trip a political protest? Would you support a field trip to an anti-gay marriage protest? Should that be mandatory?

Lie, and say yes.

No student was required to protest. Read. Learn.

Steals computers. Gets answers to help cheat on the next test. Hurts himself. Burns down the building. There's 10,000 reasons not to let him stay there.

Then why was he allowed to stay there?

Irrelevant. Schools, especially public schools, teach readin', 'ritin', and 'rithmatic. Not the teachers's political views.

Would you condone teachers teaching kids that abortion and gay marriage are an abomination? Lie, and say yes.

So you've called at least four of us liars in this single thread. Calm yourself.

You don't want students to learn about politics?

There you have it. Apdts is the typical conservative voice of oppression. I’m not sure that Civics is still taught in Texas, but the Texas Legislation, along with the Texas Education Agency, figured out a way to teach Bible 101 and call it a history class.

Nice dodge.

It's not a dodge. I'm rejecting your false equivalency. The student had an alternative to the walkout. And in order to preempt another brain dead post from you, which I know is wishful thinking, if the school allowed all sides of the abortion issue to express themselves, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Now, what are you so butt hurt about? The gun thing or the young man being disciplined?

The student had an alternative to the walkout.

Morning Mateo, I believe the young man explained why he didn't want either option...The "study hall" option he felt would let those participating in the political rally know that he chose not to participate, therefore, leading some to possibly brand him as a gun advocate, and cause problems for him. The other option was to attend the political rally, and he didn't want to do that either....

Now it seems to me that things are rarely an either or situation, and we are told all the time where schools are to cater to the wishes of the student, in terms of "creating safe spaces" but with this it looks like that is only good if the student in question is ideologically alligned with the school.

Seems also, that this was a minor thing...Although I know that you can't judge a book by its cover so to speak, this kid doesn't look like a trouble maker, nor does he look like a kid that has some deep seeded problems that they would have to worry would hurt himself....What is he like 17 years old?

I believe that I heard somewhere that the school rescinded the suspension, and offered to have him serve a detention instead....Don't know the disposition to that, but the question raised is not about this kid, but a bigger question of how grade schools, grades 1-12 should handle civil activism like political protests....My thoughts are that they should avoid at that age any involvement in such....

...if the school allowed all sides of the abortion issue to express themselves, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

That's not how political activism/protests go, and you know that....Were there speakers during this event that were of the pro 2a side allowed to speak? I sure didn't see that....So, why would you set up a scenerio that would allow for a hypothetical pro life rally, only if all sides had a voice? Seems unfair to me....

The gun thing or the young man being disciplined?

Kind of both really....

1. That minor students, in a grade school atmosphere, were paraded out to hold a political rally, where they were manipulated into being the "news of the day" nationally, complete with politicians appearing and making political speeches is just plain wrong. But, this isn't the first time we've seen ideologically left teachers, etc, USE children for their political messages....Remember this?:

At that time we were told by those on the liberal side in here that we were making too much out of it....But, we see this all the damned time....It goes to the indoctrination of our kids by educators that can't seem to help themselves, and it shouldn't be tolerated.

The lesson for these kids that did particapate, should have been that they were making speeches AGAINST their 2a rights.

It's not a dodge. I'm rejecting your false equivalency. The student had an alternative to the walkout. And in order to preempt another brain dead post from you, which I know is wishful thinking, if the school allowed all sides of the abortion issue to express themselves, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Now, what are you so butt hurt about? The gun thing or the young man being disciplined?

You're advocating the promotion of Leftist politics in public schools and promoting the punishment of students who don't fall in line.

When I read that link, it appears the school claims it's fake but the kid and his dad are still going with it being true.

Quite right.

The boy and his father are agreeing that:

1. the boy was suspended ("They confirmed Jacob was suspended."; and
  2. the suspension was because the boy didn't follow the school rules and go to the common area ("Jacob said he was suspended after not choosing to participate in the walkout or go to the commons area.").

That is made even clearer if you read almost to the bottom of the article where it states:

"Jacob and Scott confirmed the letter being circulated on social media is accurate.

The letter said he was suspended for refusing to follow instructions."​

Would you be ok with a school sponsored walkout to protest abortion?

I would NOT "be OK" with a "school sponsored walkout" to protest genocide and I would NOT "be OK" with a "school sponsored walkout" to support veterans.

I would "be OK" with a "student organized walkout" to protest genocide and I would "be OK" with a student organized walkout" to support veterans.

Does that give you a hint on where I stand on either "genocide" or "support for veterans"?

Good.

I would NOT "be OK" with a "school sponsored walkout" to protest genocide and I would NOT "be OK" with a "school sponsored walkout" to support veterans.

I would "be OK" with a "student organized walkout" to protest genocide and I would "be OK" with a student organized walkout" to support veterans.

Does that give you a hint on where I stand on either "genocide" or "support for veterans"?

Good.

Why are you supporting a school organized walkout to protest gun ownership?

Good.

Hi TU, The fact remains though that what was billed as 'students honoring' the victims of the Parkland violence, was anything more than a school sanctioned anti gun rally, complete with politicians getting their facetime, and national organizations like "Empower" co opting the rally....I think this is what sticks in the craw of conservatives, hence the "abortion rally" question, which you avoided here....

If we are to now say it's ok to politicize K-12 school systems, then we are devolving for sure.

Since you apparently missed it, the student was disciplined for defying instructions. You know, insubordination? The thing that can get a person fired from a job.
Defying stupid instructions that make no logical sense.

Does that high school have a football team? Probably. But while they allow the kids to crash into each other at a full gallop, allowing a single student to sit alone in a room (as opposed to sitting alone in a different room), well, don't want anyone to get hurt now do we.:doh

Back
Top Bottom