• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ohio board stands by disqualification of transgender candidate, despite others being allowed to run

There is no rational reason for the law to exist then as a way to disenfranchise transgender candidates by outing them to conservative voters who would then not support them. The fact that they are transgender doesn't mean that they cannot do the job or they should not be denied having their policy ideas heard by the electorate and considered ion an equal basis, instead of trying to shame them because of a medical condition.
This law existed long before transgender people were a hot button topic. Although I would agree it disproportionately affect transgender people, we cannot simply choose to ignore a law. This law should be changed, but as the article states, it was implemented to prevent “bad actors” from lying about their name. You must use your legal name on government paper work, it’s somewhat common sense.

I have yet to see your claim of malice substantiated. Who is trying to “shame” her? The governor wasn’t, as far as I can tell neither was the county board. Please link evidence. I’m not doubtful there has been bigotry pointed at Vanessa, but I’d need to see evidence the council board did so.

This law existed long before transgender people were a hot button topic. Although I would agree it disproportionately affect transgender people, we cannot simply choose to ignore a law. This law should be changed, but as the article states, it was implemented to prevent “bad actors” from lying about their name. You must use your legal name on government paper work, it’s somewhat common sense.

I have yet to see your claim of malice substantiated. Who is trying to “shame” her? The governor wasn’t, as far as I can tell neither was the county board. Please link evidence. I’m not doubtful there has been bigotry pointed at Vanessa, but I’d need to see evidence the council board did so.
What is the valid reason that this laws exists? If they weren't using a legal name then this law would not apply to them.

Trans people have a legal name change approved by a judge, so they arent using a pseudonym. Even with that legal name change this law requires them to tell the electorate what their previous legal name was.

What is the valid reason that this laws exists? If they weren't using a legal name then this law would not apply to them.

Trans people have a legal name change approved by a judge, so they arent using a pseudonym. Even with that legal name change this law requires them to tell the electorate what their previous legal name was.
This law exists to prevent a well-known person from another state/county to change their name and run for office. It is an antiquated law. I have never denied that. Trans people changing their name is the same as anyone else changing their name. They are only required to disclose their previous name if it was changed in the past 5 years.

I’m not arguing in favor of this specific law. I’m arguing that laws apply to everyone equal, regardless of ignorance. As I previously stated this law does apply to trans people disproportionately. Can you provide evidence that it was applied because of bigotry? Otherwise, the allegation the application of this law is transphobic is unsubstantiated.

The law is dumb, and it seems like everyone acknowledges this. Mike DeWine has stated he is not in favor of this law, the county council has stated they are not in favor of this law. The law is still the law. There are procedures that must be followed to change it.

Back
Top Bottom