• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama portrait set to be unveiled

What exactly is there NOT to like about the Obama's personally? The problem is personality doesn't compensate for poor economic policies and lack of leadership skills. What this thread shows is that likeability is much more important to some than reality and how rhetoric trumps actual results. I personally like the Obama's but their policies were a disaster and gave us Trump whether you the left wants to admit it or not. The role of the President is to provide leadership and promote economic growth and activity. Obama provided neither the leadership or the economic activity which is why he lost the Congress in 14-16 during which time the left wants to promote the greatest Obama achievements. Great picture of what appears to be two very good family members and people but who lacked the qualifications for the office they held and the results generated prove that.

This is about the paintings, not an opportunity to bash Pres. Obama.

You said I brought politics into the discussion...I said, of course, he's an ex-president unveiling a portrait on TV...and showed that there is a political message..."done so in subtly savvy ways in these new commissions".

What are you arguing about?

This is what you said.

LOL...good one.

I don't like it. I get the whole, less starchy, less traditional themes of both portraits, but my conservative hackles go up when I see a presidential portrait depicting Obama sitting in the bushes. And mark my words...the hard right will see it that way too. The optics are...well like I said...undignified. Uncalled for too.

If you read my OP again, you will notice with certainty that I did not make a political statement. I could, but that was not my purpose for this thread.

There is nothing political about this ceremony. Nothing political about the portraits. You either like the art, or you don't.

I really like Laura Bush's portrait by John Howard Sanden.

Even when we disagree, I adore and respect you. I appreciate that you understand the thread.

My guess is kehinde wiley is not happy with his work either.

Your guess? Based on what? He stood on a stage next to a former president and revealed a work of art to which he contributed a lot of his time and resources. Your "guess" is baseless.

Your guess? Based on what? He stood on a stage next to a former president and revealed a work of art to which he contributed a lot of his time and resources. Your "guess" is baseless.

The fact the painting sucked compared to all of his others, an artist knows. the accolades, and the emprorer has no clothes charade aside, he knows.

trump?....he is a complete idiot.....Millions hate his guts....You need a translation for that?
No. Interestingly enough...all 3 of us speak English. And I seriously doubt Trump is a "complete idiot".

this thread is about the obama portraits, not what anti-trump garbage you want to vomit all over the forum.
LOL...My bad Rev. Just havin' some fun.

Millions love what he is doing for the country, and how he lives in liberals like your's head....Do you need that translated?
ROFLMAO!
POINT for j-mac!

Just responding to some trump lover saying he wasn't invited...Which is Bull****...Sorry you snowflakes are so offended
Wait what?
I didn't say Trump wasn't invited. In fact, if I'm not mistaken...
you said:
Hardly...trump is a complete asshole with zero class...He CHOSE not be there
in response to some wondering is Trump was even invited to the unveiling or not.
But that's OK...I don't expect you to remember what you said earlier today...

Millions more hate his guts......Wait till November and see.....Will you go take up arms against the "giubber-Mint"?
See Rev? Isn't this kind o'...amusing?:cool:

What did I say that was a "political comment"? you lumped me in with others dishonestly and looked foolish doing so.

Have you ever seen any of kehinde wiley's work? If you had, you would quickly realize this is by far not his best work. kehinde wiley is a dynamic artist and his work is phenomenal. What he did here with Obama, misses the mark, falls flat, and is muted which is the opposite of what the artist is known for.

Boom.

Kehinde%2BWiley%2B%2B2_100331174734.jpg

Kehinde%2BWiley%2B%2B888.jpg

Compare that to the painting of obama and even you, swooning type of guy, will have to admit, he missed the mark on what he's known for.

You have expressed your opinion. To death. I got it.

This is what you said.

If you read my OP again, you will notice with certainty that I did not make a political statement. I could, but that was not my purpose for this thread.

Yes. Exactly.
Look, it's Obama. Like every ex-president, a political statement is made by their official portraits. Its just the way it is...

Show me him saying that. Then you'll have a point.

he doesn't have to say it. if you were familiar with the artist at all you would know what he's known for, and you would see why this one fails his own style and is a lesser example of his brilliance.

If Obama wanted this guy to paint his portrait, he should have let him, to me this reeks of either he was handcuffed to a very specific ideal outside his comfort zone or he was too afraid to paint the way he does and self edited to the point of producing a lesser piece.

What did I say that was a "political comment"? you lumped me in with others dishonestly and looked foolish doing so.

Have you ever seen any of kehinde wiley's work? If you had, you would quickly realize this is by far not his best work. kehinde wiley is a dynamic artist and his work is phenomenal. What he did here with Obama, misses the mark, falls flat, and is muted which is the opposite of what the artist is known for.

Boom.

Kehinde%2BWiley%2B%2B2_100331174734.jpg

Kehinde%2BWiley%2B%2B888.jpg

Compare that to the painting of obama and even you, swooning type of guy, will have to admit, he missed the mark on what he's known for.

They just look like something that you commissioned to give to your grandmother for her birthday. Overly romanticized and that background just makes my mind go straight to "wallpaper circa 1974"...

Not really. I just grow weary as you grow annoyed that you can't provoke me.

so debating your topic is "provoking you"? you should report me. /facepalm

Feel free to use the ignore button, but pointing out what I think of this painting and how your swooning is blinding you to it, is well within the rules of the forum. so if you don't like it, use the ignore function.

Just stop whining, please.

They just look like something that you commissioned to give to your grandmother for her birthday. Overly romanticized and that background just makes my mind go straight to "wallpaper circa 1974"...

I disagree, I find his use of such a background focuses the subject in a very unique way that makes the subject pop, and you hyper focus on it.

he doesn't have to say it. if you were familiar with the artist at all you would know what he's known for, and you would see why this one fails his own style and is a lesser example of his brilliance.

If Obama wanted this guy to paint his portrait, he should have let him, to me this reeks of either he was handcuffed to a very specific ideal outside his comfort zone or he was too afraid to paint the way he does and self edited to the point of producing a lesser piece.

"He doesn't have to say it." You'll just say he said it and pretend we all live in your my little pony reality. Really poor debating, bro. The bit about you inventing a story about the artist not being allowed to create his own art is equally asinine. You've drowned here.

so debating your topic is "provoking you"? you should report me. /facepalm

Feel free to use the ignore button, but pointing out what I think of this painting and how your swooning is blinding you to it, is well within the rules of the forum. so if you don't like it, use the ignore function.

Just stop whining, please.

I know what you're doing; and it isn't debating the topic. What a shame that you can't view everything around here. Your whining insult is overused and ineffective.

"He doesn't have to say it." You'll just say he said it and pretend we all live in your my little pony reality. Really poor debating, bro. The bit about you inventing a story about the artist not being allowed to create his own art is equally asinine. You've drowned here.

You start a thread on the paintings, but refuse to talk about them, you whine and carry on about nonsense and refuse to partake.

I know his work well enough to know this is not his best work. The proportion is all screwed up, the whole thing is muted, it's a mess compared to what I have shown he can do. instead of discussing YOUR topic, you want to come at me, while whining that I am "provoking" you. are you for real, sir?

I know what you're doing; and it isn't debating the topic. What a shame that you can't view everything around here. Your whining insult is overused and ineffective.

I don't even know what you are even on about now. can you please stick to the topic and not me and whatever imaginary conspiracy you are trying to create. Thanks.

I have done nothing but talk about the topic, you seem to have an issue with this and instead like to post odd cryptic messages and claim victimhood.

I disagree, I find his use of such a background focuses the subject in a very unique way that makes the subject pop, and you hyper focus on it.

I guess that's why art is so subjective.

When I look at his paintings, all I see is that god-awful background. I took a few minutes and checked out some of his other works and they have the same effect on me. If his paintings were done with a single color background, I could really enjoy them. The portrait of Pres. Obama done against a solid semi-dark green (really close to the color of the darker leaves in the painting) would have been stunning, but that stupid leaves and flowers background just takes away from the artistry of the focus of the painting. In the two paintings you posted, each of them could have used the single dominant color in the background and focus of the painting would have amazing. I guess that the busyness of the background just takes away from the rest of the painting...

I'm quite sure that artists don't care too much about people who don't like their work. The subjects of the portraits are pleased with the art. They'll be prominently displayed in dignified locations. Good enough for me.

Were they?

Back
Top Bottom