• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Obama admits failure to change Washington

I have greater faith in Obama's intellect and political savy then to think he was ignorant or dumb enough to believe that a 15 year old republican plan, that didn't even manage to get sustained support in it's day, during a time where Republicans were always having to start from a significantly compromised position was actually going to garner himself any kind of actual support...especially in the political age as we knew it coming out of 8 years of the Bush Administration. The only way I could buy him believing that is if he was blinded to much by ego that because "I won" the Republicans are just going to get in line and take I throw out to them and be happy about it.

I don't doubt there was HOPE that he'd manage to pick up some Republicans with his actoins. I'm not saying he was going "HAHA! I hope we don't get a single republican vote"! However, I don't believe that was the primary intent. Picking up a republican vote or two would do him no good if he couldn't shore up the moderate Democrats. The primary purpose wasn't bipartisanship...the primary purpose was suring up the votes from his own party. If that managed to garner a few Republican votes in the process, GREAT! However, that wasn't the point and that's not bipartisanship in my mind.

I don't think it was irrational, at the time, to think that he might pick up one or two Republican votes in the Senate. He very nearly did, in fact. I think that he would have started from a much more liberal position if he really thought he didn't have a good chance of picking off a few Republicans. Of course in hindsight it seems ludicrous -- given Republicans' near-blanket resistance to his major policy goals -- but he didn't have the benefit of hindsight, and he probably was a bit naive when he thought that they might be willing to put aside their desire to make him a one-term president for the good of the country.

Last edited:
I agree that both arguments - that he tried bipartisanship and that he did not - can be defended. However, I do not believe that the latter is accurate given my own perspective on Obama. In order to say that Obama did not attempt partisanship, then one would have to assume that he is a liar. While this assumption is exactly difficult to imagine given that we're talking about a politician, I don't believe it to be true in this case.

We both agree it COULD go either way. We split in what is the more likely one. Part for why we split is here...

He's a politician, and as such I expect him to lie. Actually, no...that's incorrect. I expect him to spin things to his electoral advantage and I expect him to try to get what the most of what he wants into action with the least amount of what he doesn't want coming into play. That's my general mindset with regards to politicians, all politicians. That's generally their policy goal, and I have no issue with that. And I think that's what the case is here. If Obama could've actually passed single payer there's not a doubt in my mind he would have done it. He couldn't. So he had to take action to get the most of what he wanted with the least of what he didn't want, which in this case meant winning over the moderate democrats. He also wanted to spin it best to his electoral advantage. Coming out and saying he had to water down his health care goal to win over people in his own party would piss off the base not just at him but at the party which would threaten things for 2010 and 2012. By spinning it as bipartisanship, the base is still going to be mad but does it in such a way that it presents an enemy (Those dastardly republicans who he cow towed to and they didn't even join along! Party of NO!!!!) and he has a means of saying he did part of what his campaign was promising, all while still getting the most of what he wanted with the least amount of what he didn't.

I don't particularly see political spinning as "lieing". Yes, it probably technically fits. But it's so a part of the very nature that the thing happens it almost takes on a different meaning to me to be honest.

First, I do not believe that Obama's compromising was for the benefit of Republicans. I think it was for his own benefit and perhaps, if he really is/was as honorable as he portrays himself to be, for the benefit of the country. Your second point is a solid argument. If you're not going to give Republicans what they want and you have a majority in Congress, then why not just push your original proposal through? Your answer is "because they needed the moderate Democrats who weren't buying the original plan." I agree with that. I remember that was a group of "blue dog" Democrats who wanted a more fiscally conservative plan. However, compromising within a party can coexists with compromising outside of it. I think Obama wanted to compromise, he offered a few and Republicans rejected it. I don't think he was willing to go as far as they wanted him to go, so he focused on Democrats and got the bill passed.

First, I agree. I rarely think in politics people compromise honestly for the beneift of the other side. And I think the only way they typically compromse on behalf of the country is through the notion of "What I want is good for the country, so if I have to give a little to the other side that I dislike it's worth it becuase most of my things are going in and it's good for the country. In other words...their compromising to get their things passed, and they just think their things are good for the country. I have a hard time thinking of any politician honestly going "I dislike what they're doing, but I think the country would be better off for having a bill with both our ideas even if I dislike them, so I'll do it". Perahps I'm cynical but...I just can't see it on either side.

As I said to AdamT, I don't doubt that he hoped to maybe pick up a few republicans with his compromises from what he'd ultimatley like the bill to look at. However, I don't think it was the intent. To me, bipartisanship is honestly reaching out and attempting to include the other side in the process of creating something that is reasonably acceptable to both sides. Bipartisanship is not giving one or two concessions and simply expecting the other side to get in line. Bipartiasnship is not trying to reach out and attempt to include other parts of your party into the process of creating something that is reasonablly acceptable to all sides of your party....and hopefully maybe picking off a few people from the other side as well.

Again. I'm not faulting Obama for doing this. It's what I expect, and hell to a point WANT, my politicians doing. I may have issues with him due to this as it relates to his 2008 campaign, but that's a different issue and not one squarely about bipartisanship. However every way I look at this thing, I can't come up with a scenario where honestly...in my opinion...I see Obama honestly and truthfully reaching out to including the other side in forging a bill that is palatable to both. I see him throwing a few table scraps out and primarily looking to shore up his own side. Nothing wrong with that, but to me that's not bipartisanship.

I understand that it's an opinon. It's one of those things that is ripe for argument because there's no universal symbol hanging over all our heads with a little needle that lights up and dings "BIPARTISANSHIP" whenever some criteria is met. I understand some may see the situation differently. But I have yet to see an argument or a suggestion that leads me to not have a majority of my brains reasoning pointing in the direction of "shoring up his side and spinning" rather than "honest attempts at bipartisanship".

Obama and his administration were advocating bipartisanship on the campaign trail. It's not something that suddenly came up after negotiations on healthcare began. Therefore, I don't see much of an argument for using bipartisanship as damage control since it wasn't an afterthought, but an idea pressed by them long before the actual election.

The reason he used it on the campaign trail is one of the primary reasons I think of it as Damage Control. They campaigned on Bipartisanship to a point. To not get ripped to shreds for dishonesty, they had to present an appearance that they're trying to be bipartisan. At the same time though..."Holy **** we have a super majority". The NEED for bipartisanship had mostly vanished once that happened. The Obama campaign had been pretty successful, especially early on, at controlling the message that was hitting into news cycles (not by some masterful puppet string shadow conspiracy OMG LIBERUL MEDIA...I mean that they were exceptionally good at spinning and helping drive a narrative). So on various issues throw a few table scraps, do a few token things, make a lot of noise about how you're being bipartisans and compromising despite you knowing full well it's not going to work, and then use the political fodder for it. That just made it all the easier to use bipartisanship as the cover for having to win over his own side during health care, because it allowed the killing of two birds with one stone.

I don't think it was irrational, at the time, to think that he might pick up one or two Republican votes in the Senate. He very nearly did, in fact. I think that he would have started from a much more liberal position if he really thought he didn't have a good chance of picking off a few Republicans. Of course in hindsight it seems ludicrous -- given Republicans' near-blanket resistance to his major policy goals -- but he didn't have the benefit of hindsight, and he probably was a bit naive when he thought that they might be willing to put aside their desire to make him a one-term president for the good of the country.

Eh, and this goes back to where you and I disagree strongly on what bipartisanship if I remember correctly. One or two votes from the other side does not make a bipartisan effort in my mind, regardless of what side it is. Take Bush for instance. I wouldn't say the "Jobs and Growth Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2003" was a "Bipartisan" effort of tax cuts (one of the two main acts that make up the Bush Tax Cuts)...but it had 3 Democratic Senators voting in favor. I think you'd be hard pressed to find many people who'd say the first Bush tax Cuts as a whole were truly "Bipartisan" and even the other act, "the Economic Growth and Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2001", had 9 Democratic Senators I think voting for it.

On the flip side, I think No Child Left Behind is a good example of bipartisanship. Your four big aurthors of it had 2 democrats and 2 republicans, with one really big name Democrat in Kennedy. The bills point from the start was less about what could be done to get one side to have a few people jump ship and support the other side...it was about coming together to find a solution together. You had one of the most prominent and clearly solidly ideological Senators in Kennedy working cordially WITH the President, not being spoken to about how things were going to be if he wanted some input by the President.

To me, Bipartisanship is more than thinking "what's a few things we can throw in a bill/take out to get one or two votes from the other side".

Eh, and this goes back to where you and I disagree strongly on what bipartisanship if I remember correctly. One or two votes from the other side does not make a bipartisan effort in my mind, regardless of what side it is. Take Bush for instance. I wouldn't say the "Jobs and Growth Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2003" was a "Bipartisan" effort of tax cuts (one of the two main acts that make up the Bush Tax Cuts)...but it had 3 Democratic Senators voting in favor. I think you'd be hard pressed to find many people who'd say the first Bush tax Cuts as a whole were truly "Bipartisan" and even the other act, "the Economic Growth and Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2001", had 9 Democratic Senators I think voting for it.

On the flip side, I think No Child Left Behind is a good example of bipartisanship. Your four big aurthors of it had 2 democrats and 2 republicans, with one really big name Democrat in Kennedy. The bills point from the start was less about what could be done to get one side to have a few people jump ship and support the other side...it was about coming together to find a solution together. You had one of the most prominent and clearly solidly ideological Senators in Kennedy working cordially WITH the President, not being spoken to about how things were going to be if he wanted some input by the President.

To me, Bipartisanship is more than thinking "what's a few things we can throw in a bill/take out to get one or two votes from the other side".

No, I agree with you that one or two votes wouldn't make the law bipartisan. But I think Obama would say it was. :)

Very true. The people have the vote but the politicians and our very select few to choose from, make the rules.
From what I've experienced, we get the politicians we deserve. A way to understand this is to look at lower level politicians. Sheriff Joe Arpaio is very popular in Arizona is an example, but he is so much perverse fun that maybe he gets elected for the fun of it.

Point to one. You won't be able to because the only ones he compromised with are the insurance companies and he did that in closed door meetings, early on in the process.

Not shutting down GITMO
Not going for single payer BEFORE he went with the public option
Extending the Bush tax cuts

From what I've experienced, we get the politicians we deserve. A way to understand this is to look at lower level politicians. Sheriff Joe Arpaio is very popular in Arizona is an example, but he is so much perverse fun that maybe he gets elected for the fun of it.

HUGE retirement community in Maricopa County. All you have to do when you got that kind of electorate is scare the piss out of them and point to minorities and blame them. Arpaio knows this all too well.

HUGE retirement community in Maricopa County. All you have to do when you got that kind of electorate is scare the piss out of them and point to minorities and blame them. Arpaio knows this all too well.
I have a summer place in MI too and we have a Governor here that just un-elects people.
So where is this place that doesn't have an electorate that is easy to scare to piss out of?

Obamacare did not get ONE Republican vote. Not one, further he had to buy off some of his own to get it passed. I don't call this working with Republicans.

They seem to forget that all the time. Thanks for posting it!

"Washington feels as broken as it did four years ago," Mr Obama said in an interview with CBS television, betraying the fact that Congress is more polarised than ever between rival Republicans and Democrats.
The past three-and-a-half years have been marked by blanket Republican opposition to Democratic initiatives as Mr Obama's opponents adopt a policy that any compromise that helps the president must be snuffed out at all cost.
Democrats, in turn, have refused to budge on protecting large social programs and insist that the wealthiest Americans should pay more tax if the poorest are to lose some of their state benefits.
Having struggled to break out of the stalemate, Mr Obama said the fact that he hadn't "been able to change the atmosphere here in Washington to reflect the decency and common sense of ordinary people" frustrated him most.

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

Even when he "admits" stuff he lies. Washington is MORE broken than ever, not just as broken.

That's the point. He tried bipartisanship and it didn't work...

For good reason too.......

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Poll: Start over on health reform

A Zogby International poll released Tuesday shows that 57 percent of Americans do not like either of the competing health care bills produced by the Senate and House and say Congress should start over, as a group of bipartisan lawmakers head to a health care.

Poll: Start over on health reform - Washington Times

The Democrats lost 63 seats in the House and 6 in the Senate in 2010 over that bill. They will lose a lot more as Democrats fight the repeal right up to election day.

At least he can admit that. Changing Washington however is bigger than one man. Even the president.

to put aside their desire to make him a one-term president for the good of the country.

Nothing Obama has done has been for the good of the country or our economy would be in much better shape than 6 inches off the bottom.

Nothing Obama has done has been for the good of the country or our economy would be in much better shape than 6 inches off the bottom.

Dude the hacking rhetoric is outstanding.

Do you honestly think that there was ANY comprehensive health care reform bill that Democrats could have proposed that wouldn't have been met with universal or near-universal condemnation by Republicans?

Absolutely there was. If only Obama and the Dem's had been willing to even have the discussion.

Absolutely there was. If only Obama and the Dem's had been willing to even have the discussion.

It's torture just getting a transportation bill passed -- traditionally among the least controversial bills and one that would put two million people out of work if it expired. Republicans would engage in meaningful debate about comprehensive health care reform? Not a chance.

Obamacare did not get ONE Republican vote. Not one, further he had to buy off some of his own to get it passed. I don't call this working with Republicans.

He did get on republican vote. Olympia Snow and look what they did to her. And don't forget the pledge they made when Obama was elected. Their main goal has been to make him a one term president. They can be very proud of what they have done so far!

It can be equally arguable that he didn't try "bipartisanship", but that he had to take steps to win over the more conservative individuals in his own party and rather than portray it as a failure of his party to get the votes to get through what they wanted they decided to paint it as "bipartisanship". There's no greater argument that the actions that were undertaken to "water down" the health care bill away from what the Democrat Base wanted was done to "reach out to Republicans" then there is to suggest it was to reach out to conservative democrats. On the contrary, considering there was a time period that with Democrats and Democrat leaning Independents, the party had a Super Majority in congress and didn't even NEED to reach out to Republicans for health care.

For us to believe that the bending Obama did on Obamacare was for the benefit of the Republicans...we need to believe they were SO intent on trying to get Republicans to vote with them that they passed on a chance to pass through exactly what they wanted with a super majoirty but not so intent as to actually budge far enough to actually win over any Republicans. That, frankly, doesn't make sense. The far more likely conclussion to come up with is that Obama and the Democratic Party couldn't muster their own forces enough to pass through, even with a super majority, the type of health care reform they really wanted so had to "compromise" to get votes from their own party and pitched the "bipartisan" argument as a means of damage control.
Perfectly said. Obama and his party had 2 years to do whatever they wanted. The complaints of GOP obstruction are simply not valid ones.

While I do understand that we do need some bi-partisanship in congress, and with the POTUS, the opposing party to the majority has a job to oppose. In the case of the HC bill/tax, the GOP did what opposing parties do (oppose) and that required democrats to come together, but they didn't. There IS a reason why they did not come together though, and that is because the HC bill was a horrible bill and many if they had voted up with it were going to face the consequences come election time. Some already have, some may still.

In the case of the HC bill, the problem wasn't that they didn't get any bi-partisan support from the GOP to offset their leaky base, it was and still is the horrible bill that caused the weakness in the democratic base.

Perfectly said. Obama and his party had 2 years to do whatever they wanted. The complaints of GOP obstruction are simply not valid ones.

I'm sorry, but that is absurd. There is no question that the Republican minority is the most obstructionist minority in modern memory. It's absurd to suggest that the president could do whatever he wanted for two years, because that implies that he should be able to get 100% cooperation from Senate Democrats on every major bill. By way of comparison, the current House majority leader is lucky if he can get HALF of House Republicans to toe the line on important votes (not silly symbolic votes).

He did get on republican vote. Olympia Snow and look what they did to her. And don't forget the pledge they made when Obama was elected. Their main goal has been to make him a one term president. They can be very proud of what they have done so far!
Correct me if I am wrong, but I do recall the democrats making Bush and all other GOP presidents and candidates losing their main priority have they not? Ultimately, the parties main goal IS to win elections. Always has been, always will be. Its been worldwide ever since humans conceived the idea of politics.

Obama has not been fought with POTUS only decisions, such as afghanistan, Iraq, Libya... He has not been fought when declaring natural disasters. When it comes to policy that goes through congress, yes, and as it should be. That is part of our system right from the start called checks and balances.

Back
Top Bottom