• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NY attorney general seeks to dissolve NRA

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
This is going to leave a mark.
New York’s attorney general sued the National Rifle Association on Thursday, seeking to put the powerful gun advocacy organization out of business over allegations that high-ranking executives diverted millions of dollars for lavish personal trips, no-show contracts for associates and other questionable expenditures.

Attorney General Letitia James’ lawsuit, filed in state court in Manhattan after an 18-month investigation, highlighted misspending and self-dealing allegations that have roiled the NRA and its longtime leader, Wayne LaPierre, in recent years — from hair and makeup for his wife to a $17 million post-employment contract for himself.

Simultaneously, the Washington, D.C., attorney general sued the NRA Foundation, a charitable arm of the organization designed to provide programs for firearm safety, marksmanship and hunting safety, accusing it of diverting funds to the NRA to help pay for lavish spending by its top executives.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...210dee-d7fb-11ea-a788-2ce86ce81129_story.html

I wish the AG in both court systems well in their endeavor. The NRA is a criminal organization.

I wish the AG in both court systems well in their endeavor. The NRA is a criminal organization.

I wish him luck too.

They might just voluntarily dissolve though and simply reform under another name.

I wish him luck too.
They might just voluntarily dissolve though and simply reform under another name.

new-york-attorney-general-letitia-james.jpg

It's going to leave a mark on that bitch's fat ass...lol

I wish him luck too.

She doesn't have the authority to dissolve the NRA. Literally impossible for her to do that, legally.

No, in her quest to remove fraud. Did you not read the op?

Yeah combating this will remove "constitutional" right:

"Attorney General Letitia James’ lawsuit, filed in state court in Manhattan after an 18-month investigation, highlighted misspending and self-dealing allegations that have roiled the NRA and its longtime leader, Wayne LaPierre, in recent years — from hair and makeup for his wife to a $17 million post-employment contract for himself...."

You beat me to it. As someone who, for over a decade, was involved in the regulation of charitable organizations, this is not a surprise. Once the details became known last year, it became almost inevitable. The NRA has been allowed to skirt the limits of behavior for so-called "nonprofit" activities because of its political connections. I don't object to the original purpose of the NRA or many of its organizational activities, but the leadership has been corrupt since the 1970s. I'm hoping that Wayne LaPierre takes some personal hits over it. A fraud prosecution is not out of the realm of possibilities. The Trump Organization may be next.

I was talking about Fledermaus actually reading the OP. Making snarky, irrelevant comments does not require knowing the subject matter.

Sorry no offence

And don't expect him to break his habits, most of his posts are short one lines, often just a personal attack, and rarely (if ever) containing anything of substance.

She doesn't have the authority to dissolve the NRA. Literally impossible for her to do that, legally.

They dissolved the FAKE, fraudulent Trump charity. They can shut down the fraudulent NRA. And ban those found liable from being involved in another tax free scam.

Sorry no offence

And don't expect him to break his habits, most of his posts are short one lines, often just a personal attack, and rarely (if ever) containing anything of substance.
Exactement, mon frere.*

* translation for the Mods, and others not possessing a modicum of understanding: "Exactly, my friend."

They dissolved the FAKE, fraudulent Trump charity. They can shut down the fraudulent NRA. And ban those found liable from being involved in another tax free scam.

Nope. Violates the 1st Amendment.

Now, you don't expect actual understanding of the subject matter, do you? That would be so out of character.

Exemption Requirements - 501(c)(3) Organizations (IRS):
To be tax-exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, an organization must be organized and operated exclusively for exempt purposes set forth in section 501(c)(3), and none of its earnings may inure to any private shareholder or individual.
The NRA itself is a 501(c)(4) organization, but also operates a 501(c)(3) "foundation". Ask The Taxgirl: Is The NRA A Charity? (Forbes). The NRA has tended to operate them interchangeably, which is a problem, but profiting off them is verboten either way.

Last edited:
Dissolving a fraudulent organization violates the first amendment ?

Explain how.
He can't, he just made that up, not understanding either nonprofit operations or the First Amendment. The NRA is chartered in New York, and subject to both New York and federal law.
The lawsuit seeks to dissolve the NRA in its entirety and asks the court to order LaPierre and other current and former executives to pay back unlawful profits. It also seeks to remove LaPierre and Frazer from the organization's leadership and prevent the four named individuals from ever serving again on the board of a charity in New York.

Dissolving a fraudulent organization violates the first amendment ?

Explain how.

He can't, he just made that up, not understanding either nonprofit operations or the First Amendment. The NRA is chartered in New York, and subject to both New York and federal law.

How is the NRA fraudulent?

Back
Top Bottom