• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NRA sues Florida to block new gun law - CNN today

The Gun Jihadist types seem awfully touchy when confronted it seems

I guess you don't even understood what you wrote-everyone else realizes how stupid it is

You claimed us NRA apologists don't think anyone should own guns

Why would an NRA apologist argue for no guns? Figure out how to un**** that earlier sentence and come back and try again.

rabid hatred clouds the obvious

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/09/us/nra-sues-florida-gun-law/index.html

(CNN)The National Rifle Association is suing the state of Florida after Gov. Rick Scott signed Senate Bill 7026 into law Friday, the first gun control legislation enacted in the state after the Parkland school massacre on February 14.

"This bill punishes law-abiding gun owners for the criminal acts of a deranged individual," executive director of the NRA Institute for Legislative Action Chris W. Cox said. "Securing our schools and protecting the constitutional rights of Americans are not mutually exclusive."
=================================================================
I think this mess will take most of the wind out of the sails of Rick Scott's hopes to make it to the Senate.

personally I hope the NRA is successful with the litigation.

AFA Scott, he is a POS that should be in prison for his Columbia/HCA fraud scam ........................

this law has been on the books for 50 years, so you think one case is grounds to change it? if someone is old enough to serve in the military or be tried as an adult, and VOTE, its idiotic to claim they are too young to buy a rifle

I don't have a problem with raising the age to vote. Most 18 year olds don't vote anyway. Why is it okay for the drinking age to be 21?

I don't have a problem with raising the age to vote. Most 18 year olds don't vote anyway. Why is it okay for the drinking age to be 21?

its not IMHO. if you can vote and stand trial as an adult you should have all your adult rights.

Grew up on what was the last 6 acres of what had been in the family for 200 years in east walnut hills (4 miles from downtown Cincinnati). Now live in Warren county near the big ATP tennis facility

Very nice. I moved to Chicago in '92 and have been here ever since. Nothing against Ohio, but back in the early 90s, it was just a better place to live if you happened to be a gay guy. Ohio was just too much of a fight for me back then, and I didn't want to be an activist, or explaining myself forever. ;)

TBH, being gay here is like having blue eyes. No one gives a ****. I play competitive hockey and I'm the only gay eskimo in my tribe. Nobody cares. It was just the life I wanted, no conflict and letting me be the best version of me I could. You only get one life, and I left Ohio because I wanted the best life I could have.

But, I will say- my brother lives in Columbus, and I liked it a lot the last time I was there. Things seem to be changing.

Last edited:
If there were some reasonable argument to made for such laws, yes. But you've not presented such arguments so- no.

16 is old enough to drive a 100+ hp, 3,000 pound motor vehicle. 18 is old enough to vote, and to fight and die in some foreign ****hole.

16 is old enough to drive a 100+ hp, 3,000 pound motor vehicle. 18 is old enough to vote, and to fight and die in some foreign ****hole.

And I agree that 18 year olds should be able to drink alcohol. We could at 19 when I was young.

Now the driving thing, I do have a problem with. I think you should learn how to drink, before you learn how to drive a car. IMO, I think we got it backwards. You should be able to drink before you learn how to drive a car. It should be 16 to drink, 18 to drive a car.

Why let people drive before they can drink? That's kind of insane to me.

But that's just my opinion. ;)

Last edited:
So, you think that just because gun ownership rights are restricted, that voting rights should be too? That's fine, but you need to explain why.

Do you also believe that freedom of speech should be limited to those 21 and over?

First off I have already said that the reasons behind move the gun age would also apply to voting and the like.

Second, it’s all irrelevant. You can’t make a restriction on a right just because it’s reasonable. It falls under what’s known as strict scrutiny. Which means that if you want to restrict a right: the state has to have a compelling interest to do so, it must tailor the law as narrowly as possible to achieve the goal and it must be the least restrictive way of doing so.

So you have yet to show why the gun age should be allowed to be raised to 21

I can't say I agree that the 2nd should be repealed. All rights have limits, and I think that the limits set in this current law are reasonable, especially the part regarding the mentally ill. That needed to be there before this happened, it most likely would've been prevented if so.

While i agree with you, there were lots of times laws and common sense should have been applied in this case and no one in LE did one damned thing about it.
This new law would have been just another one they ignored and refused to enforce.
That to me is the real issue here.
No one enforced the existing and standing laws already on the books.
They could have also "Baker Acted" the kid too for 72 hours.

but no.

I think it is entirely reasonable for individuals to have guns for home defense. An AR-15 is designed as a battlefield assault weapon to kill & maim other soldiers. It has no reasonable use in a polite society. I own 2 guns: a 12-gauge pump & a .22 magnum revolver. But here in PA there is part of this nationwide mania for concealed carry permits. I drive less & less because of the specter of getting involved in an accident or road rage incident where I am unarmed but the nut in the other car is angry, high on adrenaline & has a 9mm semi-automatic handgun in his hand. No thanks!

In Texas we would just shoot him with our own.
Don't live in fear of random "possibilities".
In your scenario, the road rage nut forfeited his legal protections when he grabbed a pistol and threatened you with it.
I throw my 1911 in my truck and drive where ever I feel like.
Then take it with me when i get out or lock it away in a lock box.

FEAR....should never be a driving force for anything.

You PA sharpshooters won the revolution for us in 1776 and shot us Texans all to hell during the Civil War.
What happened to ya, now?

Would you be ok it there was a law that made it 21 to vote or 21 to get an abortion?

Nixon changed the age of the vote to 18 it can change back to 21. Although I think it was fdr that changed the military age to 18. And since it became an amendment that might be difficult.
Sure abortions at 21 as soon as the age of consent is changed to 21 for both sexes.

Turn 18, Join the Marines, carry Fully Auto Machine guns, go on leave, get told you're not allowed to buy a rifle...

...or a six pack of beer.
...or a pint of rum.
...or to date a 17 year old.

Way back in 1968 a 20yo Vietnam door gunner was arrested for trying to buy a six pack.
The law got changed then a little while later.

then...it got changed back to 21 because of all those other irresponsible 18 to 20 years olds being stupid and drunk.

It, however, was perfectly fine for me to be stupid and drunk at 22.
Laws.....go figure.
The laws should be against being stupid and drunk bad behavior....not how old you are when you do it.

...or a six pack of beer.
...or a pint of rum.
...or to date a 17 year old.

Way back in 1968 a 20yo Vietnam door gunner was arrested for trying to buy a six pack.
The law got changed then a little while later.

then...it got changed back to 21 because of all those other irresponsible 18 to 20 years olds being stupid and drunk.

It, however, was perfectly fine for me to be stupid and drunk at 22.
Laws.....go figure.
The laws should be against being stupid and drunk bad behavior....not how old you are when you do it.

I forget, which Amendment protects your right to buy beer again?

I forget, which Amendment protects your right to buy beer again?

This one...

WE THE PEOPLE....in order to form a more perfect party, do hereby allow the consumption of six-packs of beer, pints or bottles of spirits, and any and all mixtures of said beverages with fruit juices or Everclear.
BE IT KNOWN....RESOLVED....whatever happens at said party STAYS at said party and no person shall infringe upon this right.

This one...

WE THE PEOPLE....in order to form a more perfect party, do hereby allow the consumption of six-packs of beer, pints or bottles of spirits, and any and all mixtures of said beverages with fruit juices or Everclear.
BE IT KNOWN....RESOLVED....whatever happens at said party STAYS at said party and no person shall infringe upon this right.

So nothing. It's okay, I'm sure you thought you were witty and on to some great point. It hurts when you're busted for shallow thought, it's okay, learn from it.

So nothing. It's okay, I'm sure you thought you were witty and on to some great point. It hurts when you're busted for shallow thought, it's okay, learn from it.

I have already "learned" sometimes you need to sit back and laugh....poke a little harmless fun, or be a little silly.
After a 12 hour shift crunching housekeeping expenditures, I feel a little "shallow thought" is in order.
I also know not everyone has this view simultaneous with mine.
That does not mean i will change to suit them.

Jans Oposum.JPG

Last edited:
If I were under 21, I would refuse to serve in the military under the liberal standards of today.

Democrats love their votes, but hate them having their full rights under the constitution.

Nixon changed the age of the vote to 18 it can change back to 21. Although I think it was fdr that changed the military age to 18. And since it became an amendment that might be difficult.
Sure abortions at 21 as soon as the age of consent is changed to 21 for both sexes.

The 18 voting age only applies to federal elections but yes it is an amendment and there was so much momentum to become an amendment because to many states pulled a Florida and disenfranchised 18-20 year olds. I dont think that will happen with gun laws because there is a significant contingent out there that wants to abolish the 2nd amendment altogether but I do think the SCOTUS will step in to help protect the right.

In that is the case ... then they are too immature to be drafted or to enlist in the armed forces.

I agree that if an 18 y/o can't drink, or own a gun, they shouldn't be subject to the draft.

And I agree that 18 year olds should be able to drink alcohol. We could at 19 when I was young.

Now the driving thing, I do have a problem with. I think you should learn how to drink, before you learn how to drive a car. IMO, I think we got it backwards. You should be able to drink before you learn how to drive a car. It should be 16 to drink, 18 to drive a car.

Why let people drive before they can drink? That's kind of insane to me.

But that's just my opinion. ;)

Then 16 year olds can't get jobs. Which paves the way for pampered kids who don't know how to cope, living longer and longer at mommy and daddies house.

Back
Top Bottom