• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NEWS HITS Detroit Rep. Bettie Cook Scott on Asian opponent: 'Don't vote for the ching-chong!'

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
More than a dozen community groups have called on Rep. Bettie Cook Scott (D-Detroit) to apologize for a series of racial slurs sources say she used to describe her primary election opponent, Rep. Stephanie Chang (D-Detroit).

Scott is alleged to have referred to Chang as "ching-chang" and "the ching-chong" to multiple voters outside polling precincts during last Tuesday's election. She's also said to have called one of Chang's campaign volunteers an “immigrant,” saying “you don’t belong here” and “I want you out of my country.”

https://www.metrotimes.com/news-hit...-asian-opponent-dont-vote-for-the-ching-chong

Hmmmmmmmm......

If true, I want her resignation. Unacceptable at any level.

If true, I want her resignation. Unacceptable at any level.

It looks like the voters of Detroit took care of her.

Chang and Scott were running in the Democratic primary for state Sen. District 1. Chang won the election with 49 percent of the vote; Scott came in third with 11 percent of the vote.

Wow. If that is true then...just wow. But it is so over the top that I was skeptical. Not that a politician would say such things, but that a politician would say such things publicly. Most of the witnesses are affiliated with Chang's campaign which also made me skeptical but the following witness leads me more to believing the accusations are true:

At another precinct, in Detroit's East English Village, Scott was overheard telling a voter, "Thanks for voting for me, you don't need to vote for that ching-chang." That comment was relayed to Metro Times by Kalaya Long, a volunteer with Voices of Women to Win.

"As an African-American woman, I've been called the N-word before in my life and you never forget it," says Long. "Each time it's shocking and appalling and disgusting, so when you hear someone that's a minority and a woman using slurs against another minority that's a woman, it's just mind boggling and it just felt dirty."

So that is a black woman not affiliated with the Chang campaign saying that is what she heard. I will be interested to see how Rep. Scott responds.

Trump's America!!! Oh wait...

The fact that she won 11% of the vote is an embarrassment to her constituency.

Don’t vote for the Ching Chong... Jesus Murphy. :doh

I've always wondered what Jesus' last name was. I had no idea he was Irish. Maybe he's who all those old black and white movie characters named Father Murphy were based on? :shock: ;)

I can't believe that in this day and time that we still have people that use terms like the one in the OP. Especially anyone wanting to run for elected office.

Isn't it precious that a Trump defender started this thread as a *gotcha*, and then anyone that defender might identify as being "on the left" criticized the person in question?

I wonder what the H. in Jesus H. Christ means.

Hussein, his middle name was Hussein, but he didn't write his name with anything but the H. because someone might think he really was a Muslim. :lol:

It really is quite strange to see the usual suspects celebrating an apparent discovery of racism on "the left" when the person in question went down in flames.

Well, I say strange but maybe I really mean another word.

Isn't it precious that a Trump defender started this thread as a *gotcha*, and then anyone that defender might identify as being "on the left" criticized the person in question?

Lighten up.
It's commendable that everyone in this day and age condemns racist remarks.

That is nothing. In Missouri State Representative District 15 race a Hitler sympathizer won the Republican primary over three other GOP candidates.

Steve West, an anti-semitic conspiracy theorist who said Hitler did nothing wrong, defeated three other GOP candidates in the party's primary election for Missouri's 15th district. He now faces Democratic incumbent Jon Carpenter in November.

Now I will admit there is a very large number of voters only vote for a D or R and have no idea what the candidate is promoting.

https://boingboing.net/2018/08/13/white-collar-nazi-wins-republi.html

And the fact that Trumps President is an embarrassment to the whole country :shrug:

Don’t vote for the Ching Chong... Jesus Murphy. :doh

exactly! i mean for real??? wow... glad she lost and if everything is true hope she never gets to run for anything political again

Why? Did they have another option?!? :lol:

And the fact that Trumps President is an embarrassment to the whole country :shrug:

Nah, it means most US states were smart enough not to vote Hillary.

Back
Top Bottom