• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

New Orleans teen shot in the head by man who thought he was a burglar

It was not a real cashiers check which is whythe pólice were involved.

Sounds like it was proper that the police were involved.

OK, OK, no blanks. Use shotgun arming sounds (note to self). You may fire when ready Gridley.

Id go more with "what is the stupidity level of firing a blank?" You still are open to legal, civil, and criminal action AND you are one less round to the good for defensive purposes. I think "HEY ASSHOLE!!! LEAVE!!!" would be about as close to firing a warning shot as I would come, though frankly...the arming of an 8 round riot gun ought to be more effective that a warning shot. Dood isnt asshole and elbows making tracks after that sound in the middle of the night, then fire at will.

Id go more with "what is the stupidity level of firing a blank?" You still are open to legal, civil, and criminal action AND you are one less round to the good for defensive purposes. I think "HEY ASSHOLE!!! LEAVE!!!" would be about as close to firing a warning shot as I would come, though frankly...the arming of an 8 round riot gun ought to be more effective that a warning shot. Dood isnt asshole and elbows making tracks after that sound in the middle of the night, then fire at will.

I clearly understand the issues with firing blanks and warning shots.

I just am at odds why a call to 911 followed yelling "get off my damned property (etc)" wouldn't be a first choice rather than shoot first,ask questions later.

One of the reports said he yelled out "Freeze" and thought the suspect made a movement.

I have not seen that in any of the reports yet. As I said we don't know all the facts.

Yelling "freeze" as if you are a police officer is not what you do. Of course that is just my opinion.

That was not the point.

Was the point that someone clearly tried to steal a car under the guise of a pretend cashiers check and was subsequently caught?

Can I assume that the bail was posturing (like they frequently do ) and the bail was substantially reduced? I mean, unless he decided to immediately do the right thing and plead guilty to the crime he actually committed.

I am curious about what happened. It actually sounds more serious than just stealing a car, it sounds like he was scamming the bank as well.

Was the point that someone clearly tried to steal a car under the guise of a pretend cashiers check and was subsequently caught?

Can I assume that the bail was posturing (like they frequently do ) and the bail was substantially reduced? I mean, unless he decided to immediately do the right thing and plead guilty to the crime he actually committed.

I am curious about what happened. It actually sounds more serious than just stealing a car, it sounds like he was scamming the bank as well.

The point was that if the pólice can say an open garage is considered a residence, then an enclosed yard can also, in refference to this case which is what the thread is about.

The point was that if the pólice can say an open garage is considered a residence, then an enclosed yard can also, in refference to this case which is what the thread is about.

So were they posturing with that accusation? What did he get convicted of?

Here in our town about 2 months ago a plumber left his Suburban idling in the drive way while he went back into his house to get more items to start his day.
When he came back outside the Suburban was being driven away by a 25 yr old car thief. The plumber pulled out his pistol and fired once into the back of the Suburban.

The bullet struck the thief in the back of the head killing him crashing the Suburban.

The plumber says he saw through the back window the thief raising his arm possibly aiming a gun at him.
Police says there was so much equipment in the back of the Suburban that one could see clearly to the front seat.

He has been charged with first degree manslaughter.

He goes to trial in Sept.

They say here that you cannot shoot a thief running from you.
But I can understand the frustration of the plumber who lives in a city with a high auto theft rate. He was watching the tools he needs to earn a living drive away.

I think of the young thief had been stealing the guy's sports car I would feel differently. But when you take a man's tools that he uses to earn a living for him and his family then I think you are pushing someone to react in temporary insanity.

But the law is the law and I think the plumber is going to prison.

Here in our town about 2 months ago a plumber left his Suburban idling in the drive way while he went back into his house to get more items to start his day.
When he came back outside the Suburban was being driven away by a 25 yr old car thief. The plumber pulled out his pistol and fired once into the back of the Suburban.

The bullet struck the thief in the back of the head killing him crashing the Suburban.

The plumber says he saw through the back window the thief raising his arm possibly aiming a gun at him.
Police says there was so much equipment in the back of the Suburban that one could see clearly to the front seat.

But I can understand the frustration of the plumber who lives in a city with a high auto theft rate. He was watching the tools he needs to earn a living drive away.

I think of the young thief had been stealing the guy's sports car I would feel differently. But when you take a man's tools that he uses to earn a living for him and his family then I think you are pushing someone to react in temporary insanity.

I don't know. I am on the edge on this one. I know if someone is stealing my stuff I want to shoot to stop them. The problem is if they are no threat to me, it is wrong and illegal. So even though the plumber is justified in my eyes, he is not and rightly so under the law. We can't let emotions govern us or we would all be doomed.

I would like to reserve judgment because there aren't very many facts in the article regarding evidence. I do think that shooting a person for simply being in your driveway is taking things a little far, but I don't know the story yet.

agreed. BTW why was he charged with murder when the story says the mope is still alive?

Good question. Weird. I have no idea.

Never heard of that before. We had some black "utes" who beat up a white guy in College Hill (suburb of Cincinnati) because they were bored. The white dude died months later and the DA plans on (pending the autopsy and ME's inquest) charged the mopes with Murder One after all had been sentenced for felonious assault etc

Never heard of that before. We had some black "utes" who beat up a white guy in College Hill (suburb of Cincinnati) because they were bored. The white dude died months later and the DA plans on (pending the autopsy and ME's inquest) charged the mopes with Murder One after all had been sentenced for felonious assault etc

Well that makes sense, because he died, but if this kid is still alive I don't see how they charge someone with murder. Maybe it's attempted murder, and the media is wrong. Wouldn't be the first time and probably not the last.

So were they posturing with that accusation? What did he get convicted of?

He was not convicted of anything. He did not produce the check. The person that produced the check was caught and convicted.

As far as the bail, the judge saw it for what it was, a joke and lowered it to ROR.

Can you please clarify the bold. It doesn't make sense. Could he see tot he front or not?

Well that makes sense, because he died, but if this kid is still alive I don't see how they charge someone with murder. Maybe it's attempted murder, and the media is wrong. Wouldn't be the first time and probably not the last.

The news report stated he was charged with attempted 2nd degree murder, so this story got it wrong.

Gop look at the video lined in the OP.

I don't know. I am on the edge on this one. I know if someone is stealing my stuff I want to shoot to stop them. The problem is if they are no threat to me, it is wrong and illegal. So even though the plumber is justified in my eyes, he is not and rightly so under the law. We can't let emotions govern us or we would all be doomed.

I am with you there. It is a very tough one.

I have dealt with vandalism and theft in my own neighborhood and I can so relate to the anger he must have had seeing someone take his rig.

The trial will be interesting.

Can you please clarify the bold. It doesn't make sense. Could he see tot he front or not?

The plumber was at the end of his driveway as his Suburan was driving away. He could only see through the back window the figure of the guy driving it. By the police account there was so much equipment and darken windows it would be hard to be able to see the front cab from looking in from the back window.

The plumber was at the end of his driveway as his Suburan was driving away. He could only see through the back window the figure of the guy driving it. By the police account there was so much equipment and darken windows it would be hard to be able to see the front cab from looking in from the back window.

Apparently, there was a clear enough path for the bullet to take from the plumber's gun to the thief's head.

Apparently, there was a clear enough path for the bullet to take from the plumber's gun to the thief's head.

That is very true. And my bad for leaving out that the plumber's defense was that he saw the theft was reaching for a gun. The police countered saying that due to the tinted windows and articles in the Suburban it would have obscured the vision into the vehicle. There was no gun found on the theft.

Thank you. In the previous post it said he could see to the driver but there was a lot of stuff so it didn't jive.

first, you wouldn't know that about him ... but you feel you should have the right to shoot anyone in your fenced in yard at 2 in the morning? Hope people who believe tis don't end up shooting their own child one night.

Did I say that I have the right to shoot anyone in my fenced yard at 2am in the morning?

No.

If you re-read... I said Nobody has ANY business in my fenced in yard at 2am uninvited.

Why do you always jump to conclusions?

I pretty much agree with this. When I took lessons at the shooting range just after I bought my gun, the instructor told us that, if we ever shot someone in self-defense, to play on it costing about $25,000 here as, in all likelihood, one would be charged with a crime. *shrug*

The old "judged by 12 than carried by 6" thingie comes with a definite price tag.

If you ask me its cheap. Because being dead aint no fun. I wouldn't flinch at all paying the cost.

I could tell you right now that if I or a lot of my neighbors here in kern county were on that jury would vote not guilty law or not. They used to hang horse thieves for good reason, the attempted theft of a work truck is the same as stealing a horse way back when.

Back
Top Bottom