• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Navy recruit is second woman to die at Illinois boot camp in 2 months

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

5cc36017bae7b.image.jpg

Kelsey Nobles.

4/27/19
An 18-year-old Navy recruit from Alabama has died during boot camp in Illinois. Spokesman Lt. Joseph W. Pfaff says Kelsey Nobles, of Mobile, died Tuesday after collapsing during training at the Navy Recruit Training Center in Great Lakes, Illinois. Nobles' father, Harold, told CBS affiliate WKRG-TV that doctors say she went into cardiac arrest. He says she passed out after her physical fitness test. He says she was taken to a civilian hospital where she was pronounced dead. Pfaff says the Navy is investigating. This is the second death under similar circumstances at the boot camp in the past two months. Seaman Recruit Kierra Evans was pronounced dead at a hospital after she collapsed following physical training Feb. 22.

The initial physical fitness assessment bundle includes a 1.5 mile run. Perhaps medical screening tests need to be more rigorous?

Regardless, my deepest sympathies to her family and friends.

5cc36017bae7b.image.jpg

Kelsey Nobles.

The initial physical fitness assessment bundle includes a 1.5 mile run. Perhaps medical screening tests need to be more rigorous?
That's one idea. I assume an autopsy will be done on each sailor to find exact causes of death. Also, environmental conditions, availability of aid stations, watch, supervision needs to be investigated.

Rogue Valley said:
As an ex-Navy man I hurt when a shipmate falls. I add my best wishes and sympathies.

Congenital and/or dehydration.

Have any of the guys died?

Agreed. I add my best wishes and sympathies as well.
Further, I applaud the individuals that make the decision to serve their nation, full stop.
I thank you one and all for your service. A Grateful American

Have any of the guys died?

It's generally someone with an underlying condition compounded by not drinking enough water. Body heat casualties become more serious with underlying conditions. Guys die on highschool football fields and college and in military physical training. It probably happens mostly in basic and early schools because the condition, whatever that might be, is realized quickly.

It's generally someone with an underlying condition compounded by not drinking enough water. Body heat casualties become more serious with underlying conditions. Guys die on highschool football fields and college and in military physical training. It probably happens mostly in basic and early schools because the condition, whatever that might be, is realized quickly.

For troops in Afghanistan during the hot season drinking massive quantities of water was NOT optional.

For troops in Afghanistan during the hot season drinking massive quantities of water was NOT optional.

I'm good at drinking water because I grew up in Miami. I've seen a sgt (e6) talk crap about hydration and fall out at green ramp.

5cc36017bae7b.image.jpg

Kelsey Nobles.

You might have a point on the screening tests. I went through basic in 2010 and a handful of guys ended up getting pulled out for medical issues they had pre-basic. I served with a few guys that had issues you would assume would've been caught long before they got to the boat.

I only ask, as, I suspect that an immediate suspicion will be foul play, or mistreatment, on the basis of sex.

I agree with hydration. I used to work outside, tenting houses in FL. Me and one other guy would kill one of those round Gatorade coolers you in sports all the time, every day. And when I got home, I pounded water, and a nice refrigerated watermelon. Till it gave me the runs.

I only ask, as, I suspect that an immediate suspicion will be foul play, or mistreatment, on the basis of sex.

Is navy basic co-ed? Army wasn't in 1990, at least that I knew of. Infantry combined basic and advanced training and females weren't allowed in infantry then.

I agree with hydration. I used to work outside, tenting houses in FL. Me and one other guy would kill one of those round Gatorade coolers you in sports all the time, every day. And when I got home, I pounded water, and a nice refrigerated watermelon. Till it gave me the runs.
man that’s dangerous. I chugged a couple huge Gatorades once after working in a 130 degree arctic for hours (young and dumb) and I thought my heart was gonna beat right outta my chest. Scary

man that’s dangerous. I chugged a couple huge Gatorades once after working in a 130 degree arctic for hours (young and dumb) and I thought my heart was gonna beat right outta my chest. Scary

A pile of salt is rough, especially with lots of sugar. Over the course of a day, while sweating out salt, it's fine. Though I'd prefer water mostly.

We filled ours with water. I hate Gatorade. But they make a durable cooler.

Were they cold?

She was in her 6th week of training. Typical, a new recruit in basic in even moderate health is brought along sufficiently to the point that by week 6 they can meet the standards. Id agree with Eco that its likely something genetically pre-existing that contributed....unless it is found she was struggling trying to make weight and wasnt eating properly. With this being the second in recent weeks, Im sure they will do a pretty thorough check.

Sad loss of young life though. Good thoughts for her family and loved ones.

yes they were, total shock to the system!

Yeah, that's what did it. I saw several guys go down because they slammed liquids that was at about 40° on 90+ degree days. When I was a private, I would get pissed off when the water in my canteen would get warm on hot days, but actually it was better for me than cold water.

Agreed. It's a sad event and might have been prevented with better oversight of the recruits during training, but, as you mentioned, it's not uncommon in such situations. This is still early in the year and relatively cool, so I suspect some unknown medical condition coupled with dehydration.

yeah I’m going with this...damn shame she died.

Back
Top Bottom