• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NASA To Announce A Huge Discovery Outside The Solar System This Wednesday[W:19]

Re: NASA To Announce A Huge Discovery Outside The Solar System This Wednesday

That would not be outside the solar system so it should not be that

Bull****, man! It's Planet X!

Whatever it is, I almost guarantee you that right after the announcement, NASA will ask/hint for a load more money to explore whatever this thing is.

Screw doing research on things we don't know!

I don't think you will be disappointed this time. Scientists from all over the world flew to NASA this week. That hasn't happened before. Crossing my fingers.

And I'll make you a deal. If we are disappointed, I will eat this thread. LOL.

Relax my friend. Only 1 participant in the lineup is from outside the U.S. What seasonings do you require? :mrgreen:

Screw doing research on things we don't know!

At taxpayer expense especially when it/they are outside of our solar system...you got it.

If it's SOOOOO amazing, than let the private sector research it using private sector funds. If the public is interested enough - they will gladly fund it. If they don't, it probably is not worth exploring. Never heard of 'crowdfunding'?

Oh...but what's wrong with wasting taxes from hard working people? :roll:

If you love it so much, than why not turn over your paycheck to NASA - I guarantee you they will take it?

At taxpayer expense especially when they are outside of our solar system...you got it.

If it's SOOOOO amazing, than let the private sector research it using private sector funds. If the public is interested enough - they will gladly fund it. If they don't, it probably is not worth exploring.

Oh...but what's wrong with wasting taxes from hard working people?

If you love it so much, than why not turn over your paycheck to NASA - I guarantee you they will take it?

:roll:

:roll: If you love the military/roads/police so much, why not turn over your paycheck to them?

The private sector has little reason to research at the frontiers of knowledge. It can be expensive and the return is a complete mystery.

And to you, this means the research should never be done.

:roll: If you love the military/roads/police so much, why not turn over your paycheck to them?
Ummm....okaaaaay. How exactly do you want the military and police paid for? I think roads should be paid for by the private sector, And, btw, I think the military budget should be drastically cut.

The private sector has little reason to research at the frontiers of knowledge. It can be expensive and the return is a complete mystery.

And to you, this means the research should never be done.

When it is outside our solar system? Yup.

If they can find crowdfunding - fantastic. I might even donate a penny or two. But NOT from taxpayers money.

But hey...there is always your paycheck to start the ball rolling. Why don't you donate it to NASA right now if you think it is SOOOOO vital?

Relax my friend. Only 1 participant in the lineup is from outside the U.S. What seasonings do you require? :mrgreen:

Tabasco, and lots of it, if I lose. But I don't think I will (famous last words? :mrgreen:).

Ummm....okaaaaay. How exactly do you want the military and police paid for? I think roads should be paid for by the private sector, And, btw, I think the military budget should be drastically cut.
Tax dollars. Like NASA. Glad you're on board now.
the paycheck schtick is just idiocy and you know it.

When it is outside our solar system? Yup.

But hey...there is always your paycheck to start the ball rolling. Why don't you donate it to NASA right now if you think it is SOOOOO vital?
I already paid for NASA.

Tax dollars. Like NASA. Glad you're on board now.
the paycheck schtick is just idiocy and you know it.
If by 'on board' you mean kill off NASA, slash the military budget, privatise roads but pay for the police with taxpayer money? Yup.

And the paycheck 'shtick' is a serious question. It's called - 'putting your money where your mouth is'.

But not you. You are fine forcing everyone to pay into your space dreams just so long as you don't have to pay much.

Last edited:

If by 'on board' you mean kill off NASA and slash the military budget? Yup.

And the paycheck 'shtick' is a serious question.

Then so is the same question regarding the military.

I'm not donating my paycheck to NASA because I already donated part of it to NASA.
Why aren't you donating your paycheck to the military/roads/fire protection/10,000 other things you already funded with taxes?

Then so is the same question regarding the military.

I'm not donating my paycheck to NASA because I already donated part of it to NASA.
Why aren't you donating your paycheck to the military/roads/fire protection/10,000 other things you already funded with taxes?

I am not the one complaining to others who don't want to fund them.

And why would I donate my pay check to something that I think should a) have it's budget slashed; b) should be privatised and c) seems to have all the funds it needs; respectively. But if my local fire station needs more money, I will gladly donate what I can spare to help them.

And I believe that other than things that are life and death (military, health, police, fire, basic government operations, etc.) - that taxpayers should be free to give (or NOT give) their taxes to whomever they wish (like NASA).

Can you even read?

I am not the one complaining to others who don't want to fund them.

And why would I donate my pay check to something that I think should a) have it's budget slashed; b) be privatised and c) seems to have all the funds it needs; respectively. But if my local fire station needs more money, I will gladly donate what I can spare to help them.

So, to expand on what you said: you see no need to donate your paycheck to an organization that is already sufficiently-funded via taxes, or overfunded via taxes.

And for some reason, it's utterly inconceivable to you that others feel the same way.

"I know more about life on planets in our universe than any human on Earth, believe me."

-Donald J Trump

So, to expand on what you said: you see no need to donate your paycheck to an organization that is already sufficiently-funded via taxes, or overfunded via taxes.

And for some reason, it's utterly inconceivable to you that others feel the same way.

If you are going to continue to put words in my mouth ('expand on what I said'), this conversation is over.

What I said is exactly what I meant. I meant nothing more.

Ask me what I mean/think, don't tell me.

And why are you getting so bent out of shape over this?

Why do you care so much what some faceless, nobody on a chat forum thinks about your precious NASA? Are you a troll? Are you bored?

God knows I don't much care what you think about it...and if you would stop bugging me, I will prove it to you.

Its probably a spaceship full of elephants thats gonna drop an asteroid on earth...

That's oddly specific.

If you are going to continue to put words in my mouth ('expand on what I said'), this conversation is over.

What I said is exactly what I meant. I meant nothing more.
My paraphrasing is accurate. You said "And why would I donate my pay check to something that I think should a) have it's budget slashed; b) should be privatised and c) seems to have all the funds it needs; respectively. "

I.E. you don't feel the need to donate money to an organization falling under A, B, or C. I simplified this as "adequately funded" or "overfunded" (clearly an organization you think should be privatized is 'overfunded' in your view)

Well, shocker of shockers, I feel the same way. I think NASA is adequately funded and therefore will not send them my paycheck. And seeing as how NASA is a taxpayer-funded organization in a representative democracy, if I should feel they are underfunded in the future I will express that in the usual fashion by notifying my representatives and possibly changing my voting habits.

However, I will not donate money, or refuse to donate money, based on specific projects. Micromanaging federal budgets is something I've already hired a large number of people to do for me.

Ask me what I mean, don't tell me.
I restated your beliefs.

And why are you getting so bent out of shape over this?
You brought up NASA funding. You started the discussion on them not existing. You start this in every one of these threads.

The thread is about a NASA announcement about some discovery. You're the one who began this line of conversation, not me. I am not bent out of shape. I am disagreeing with you. You need to stop taking that so personally.

My paraphrasing is accurate. You said "And why would I donate my pay check to something that I think should a) have it's budget slashed; b) should be privatised and c) seems to have all the funds it needs; respectively. "

I.E. you don't feel the need to donate money to an organization falling under A, B, or C. I simplified this as "adequately funded" or "overfunded" (clearly an organization you think should be privatized is 'overfunded' in your view)

Well, shocker of shockers, I feel the same way. I think NASA is adequately funded and therefore will not send them my paycheck. And seeing as how NASA is a taxpayer-funded organization in a representative democracy, if I should feel they are underfunded in the future I will express that in the usual fashion by notifying my representatives and possibly changing my voting habits.

However, I will not donate money, or refuse to donate money, based on specific projects. Micromanaging federal budgets is something I've already hired a large number of people to do for me.

I restated your beliefs.

You brought up NASA funding. You started the discussion on them not existing. You start this in every one of these threads.

The thread is about a NASA announcement about some discovery. You're the one who began this line of conversation, not me. I am not bent out of shape. I am disagreeing with you. You need to stop taking that so personally.

Oh...this is ridiculous.

I am not even going to read your nonsense.

First, you start out by objecting to my objection. Then you bring the military, police, fire departments and roads (?) into it (what's next...abortion?). And now you are clearly just looking for some childish debate because you do not have enough in your life.

Well I do and I don't remotely care enough about this subject or your opinion of it to continue this silliness...let alone to take it to some kind of War and Peace sized debate.

We are done here.

Bu bye.

One last thing - get a hobby.

Last edited:

Here's the news:

They have found 7 Earth sized planets orbiting the Trappist-1 star, which is about 40 LY away. 3 of them are inside the habitable zone, and they believe those 3 may contain liquid water. More study needs to be done, but this is major news. One of them most likely does contain liquid water.

That's oddly specific.

He is a published writer...he has a big imagination.

News conference is still going on. You can see it live on NASA TV.

They were able to determine the size of the planets by observing the amount of light that blocked the star when they transited, and were able to determine the masses by observing the gravitational interaction between the planets themselves. This was done using the Spitzer Space Telescope.

Trappist-1 e is the same size as earth and in the middle of the Goldilocks zone, and receives exactly the same amount of light that Earth does. Trapist-1 f they believe to be a water world. Trappist-1 g is barely inside the habitable zone, and the possibility of life there is low but still exists. All 3 of these planets are the size of the Earth.

Trappist-1 is a red dwarf star, so the habitable zone is so close to the star that all 3 of these planets are tidally locked to the star. The next step is to analyze the atmospheres of these planets for the presence of greenhouse gases. If they exist, there is most likely life on them.

Water is not confirmed on these planets yet, but is suspected, due to the mass to size ratio of the planets.

Water is not confirmed on these planets yet, but is suspected, due to the mass to size ratio of the planets.

Beam me up Scotty... I wonder how many centuries will pass before or if we can ever develop the technology to go there and find out?

Back
Top Bottom