• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Name something Trump did that improved the economy.

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Name something that Donald Trump, 45th. president of the United States of America, did that has improved the economy.

Other than momentary fluctuations I just don’t think Presidents have that much effect on the economy, for better or worse.

wow. stick to calling him a dumb racist. don't go down the road where actual facts matter. you will get destroyed. The left is doing a great job of keeping the amazing economy off the headlines. because they know if it continues they are screwed. anyway, I'll post some articles for you.

Trump offered fairly realistic hope that federal taxation and regulation would be reduced allowing those in business to do better. How long this Trump bubble will last is anyone's guess but it clearly does exist.

Other than momentary fluctuations I just don’t think Presidents have that much effect on the economy, for better or worse.

it's so cute that you think that it's a coincidence the economy(after never getting above 3% growth a single year Obama was in office) took off from THE DAY HE LEFT OFFICE. That consumer confidence immediately vaulted to a 20 year high. It takes an amazing person to believe that. it really does.

Normally I would agree with that, but then again when you have a President that is willing to throw out trade agreements and does not bother to renegotiate them, then I would say they can have a major impact on the economy. As for the market, all it takes is for one thing to go south and the entire house of cards crumbles, history has shown this to be the unfortunate truth time and time again, my guess is we have less than 5 years before the next big crash.

Trump offered fairly realistic hope that federal taxation and regulation would be reduced allowing those in business to do better. How long this Trump bubble will last is anyone's guess but it clearly does exist.

If it actually results in far more manufacturing, research and design, meaning good paying jobs, then it will last for a while, if it does not then there is not much anyone can do to stop the inevitable result.

it's so cute that you think that it's a coincidence the economy(after never getting above 3% growth a single year Obama was in office) took off from THE DAY HE LEFT OFFICE. That consumer confidence immediately vaulted to a 20 year high. It takes an amazing person to believe that. it really does.

What's cute is people claiming they are going to get articles, but continue to pull stuff out of their ass... ;) Get on them articles, homie, we're waiting!! What did Trump, himself, do?

(Psst...talk about TPP, no one's gonna gotcha you with that one)

What's cute is people claiming they are going to get articles, but continue to pull stuff out of their ass... ;) Get on them articles, homie, we're waiting!! What did Trump, himself, do?

(Psst...talk about TPP, no one's gonna gotcha you with that one)

Economists agree: Trump, not Obama, gets credit for economy | TheHill

Economists agree: Trump, not Obama, gets credit for economy

like I said, get away from this subject. stick to calling him names like a child. because if you talk policy you will lose. bigly.

No, I’m just consistent. If the economy goes south will you blame Trump? Lots of anti-Trumpers will. But I won’t. Because a president doesn’t wield that kind of influence.

Ten replies already. Not bad. So far, not one thing that Trump has done that has resulted in an improved economy.

No, I’m just consistent. If the economy goes south will you blame Trump? Lots of anti-Trumpers will. But I won’t. Because a president doesn’t wield that kind of influence.
This.

The president doesn't have nearly that much control over the economy. It's the job of the Congress to write sensible policy, but even then the economy is pretty apolitical, and most of it's trends have little to do with regulations. While tax cuts do promote some savings to employees (as we've recently seen) companies also will lay off workers and shut down stores anyways if that's what they were planning, regardless of what policy comes along.

Obama didn't get us out of the recession, nor did the GOP, and Trump is not some economic "stable genius" that has a magi wand. In a few years time this boom shall pass --- unfortunately for us "****hole people".

Name something that Donald Trump, 45th. president of the United States of America, did that has improved the economy.

Trump ran on a campaign to not obliterate the economy and the economy responded.

Some of the deregulation is a good thing. Some isn't. Examples of 'isn't' would be Net Neutrality and rolling back the fiduciary standard.
https://www.bankrate.com/investing/how-the-fiduciary-standard-protects-you/

The tax cuts will be a definite short term boon for most. How long that will last and whether it will benefit you in the long run depends on who you are (the .1% or everyone else) and how long the bubble stays up.

When you deregulate Wall St and/or banking, bubbles / crash / bailout usually occur. We have lived through 3 or more (depends how you count them) already.

Trump ran on a campaign to not obliterate the economy and the economy responded.

Wonderful. His campaign was not to "obliterate" the economy, and he didn't. Now, what actions has he taken that has resulted in an improved economy?

This.

The president doesn't have nearly that much control over the economy. It's the job of the Congress to write sensible policy, but even then the economy is pretty apolitical, and most of it's trends have little to do with regulations. While tax cuts do promote some savings to employees (as we've recently seen) companies also will lay off workers and shut down stores anyways if that's what they were planning, regardless of what policy comes along.

Obama didn't get us out of the recession, nor did the GOP, and Trump is not some economic "stable genius" that has a magi wand. In a few years time this boom shall pass --- unfortunately for us "****hole people".
Well, yes and no.

Presidents and Congress have a significant ability to wreck an economy, both in the short term and long term. For example, if the Trump administration backs out of NAFTA and WTO and starts slapping tariffs on all imports, the economy will suffer. If a President slams everyone with a huge tax increase, the economy will suffer. If Congress writes a law which eliminates Social Security outright, the economy will suffer. Central governments can change spending too quickly, cause lots of inflation, undermine confidence, destabilize its currency, wreck imports and exports, and so on. Presidents can only do some things single-handedly, but normally they also have lots of influence over legislation.

It's much, much, much harder to affect the economy on the upside, especially when there isn't a specific crisis going on. Cutting taxes might help a little in the short run, but won't have a dramatic effect, or reverse a downturn. Good news about tax reform won't reverse a slide in stocks or other assets. Announcing an infrastructure plan when the economy is already at full employment won't do much to benefit workers. Pushing for more coal production, when no one is buying coal, won't actually result in more coal miners working. Presidents ultimately can't stop outsourcing, when the cost of foreign labor is 1/10 that of American labor; Presidents can't stop companies from automating, if it costs 1/100 to buy a bunch of robots rather than hire humans for the same output.

I'm quoting things that HAVE happened. You just show predictions of what you personally HOPE will happen in the future but haven't happened yet.

I win.

If I tell my kid he doesn't have to do homework, he will be euphoric too, in the short term. In the long term, it is a pretty safe bet he is not going to do well. It's just a short sighted euphoria.

Wall Street is not known for taking the long view. That's why they are doing so well. For now.

Back
Top Bottom