• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

More U.S. Republicans back independent probe of Trump-Russia ties

Winston

Give me convenience or give me death
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
A small but growing number of Republican U.S. lawmakers called on Wednesday for an independent probe of possible collusion between President Donald Trump's 2016 campaign and Russia, spurred by a memo from the fired FBI chief that Trump had sought to impede the agency's investigation.

The tumult in Washington deepened on Tuesday over allegations Trump had sought to end the FBI's investigation into ties between Trump's first national security adviser, Michael Flynn, and Russia.

James Comey, whose firing as FBI director last week triggered a political firestorm, wrote a memo detailing Trump's comments to him in February saying "I hope you can let this go," referring to the Flynn probe, according to a source who has seen a memo written by Comey.

"If in fact what was in the memo is true, it's very concerning, and we need to get to the bottom of that," Republican Adam Kinzinger, a member of the House of Representative Foreign Affairs Committee, said on CNN. "I think we are in the position now where it's time for an independent commission or a special prosecutor or whatever."

In a letter to acting FBI Director Andrew McCabe on Tuesday, the Republican chairman of a House of Representatives oversight committee, Jason Chaffetz, set a May 24 deadline for the FBI to produce all relevant material relating to any communications between Comey and Trump. Ryan backed Chaffetz's request.

More U.S. Republicans back independent probe of Trump-Russia ties | Reuters

All on its own, the firing of former FBI Director Jim Comey, was sufficient pretext to appoint a special prosecutor. Yet where was the bipartisan push? A slow-acting partisan government unwilling to appoint a SP alarmed me then, and if they fail to appoint a SP now, it will be a slap in the face of a country who elected Trump due in part, to outrage at partisan gridlock and party over country mentality.

Special prosecutor, reports directly to congress, so we can put this issue to bed. If Trump is innocent, let's find him innocent, if he's guilty, let's find him guilty. No more obstruction, no more slow-drip, Americans deserve to know who's lying, and who's telling the truth here.

Last edited:

All on its own, the firing of former FBI Director Jim Comey, was sufficient pretext to appoint a special prosecutor. Yet where was the bipartisan push? A slow-acting partisan government unwilling to appoint a SP alarmed me then, and if they fail to appoint a SP now, it will be a slap in the face of a country who elected Trump due in part, to outrage at partisan gridlock and party over country mentality.

Special prosecutor, reports directly to congress, so we can put this issue to bed. If Trump is innocent, let's find his innocence, if he's guilty, let's find him guilty. No more obstruction, no more slow-drip, Americans deserve to know who's lying, and who's telling the truth here.

And what crime is this fishing trip in search of?

Special prosecutor, reports directly to congress, so we can put this issue to bed. If Trump is innocent, let's find him innocent, if he's guilty, let's find him guilty. No more obstruction, no more slow-drip, Americans deserve to know who's lying, and who's telling the truth here.

The Republicans would be crazy to be seen preventing transparency.

A special prosecutor (there's actually a proper term for this but I forgot it at the moment) is a double edged sword, but we'll see where this goes.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/05/a-special-prosecutor-is-not-the-answer/526662/

There's also the matter that a special prosecutor is assigned by the Justice Department, which is answerable to...you guessed it...Donald Trump.

A special prosecutor (there's actually a proper term for this but I forgot it at the moment) is a double edged sword, but we'll see where this goes.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/05/a-special-prosecutor-is-not-the-answer/526662/

There's also the matter that a special prosecutor is assigned by the Justice Department, which is answerable to...you guessed it...Donald Trump.

The Senate doesn't vote on who gets appointed? It's all up to Rosenstein?

Maybe in the land of Orwell.

Says the side that spent years and years supporting investigating BEEEEENGGGHHAAAAZII. Now that your man Trump is in you guys don't even want to spend a year on it like you did hounding Clinton. Time for the Behnghazi investigating supporters to take a STFU pill on the investigation into Trump.

When Trump goes down in flames and his rabid supporters turn their backs on him, they'll start saying that they knew he was an liberal east coast dem all along.

Last edited:

Listen to this podcast episode from Pod Save America. It discusses the issue at length and is explained by former White House Counsel Kathy Ruemmler.

Listen to this podcast episode from Pod Save America. It discusses the issue at length and is explained by former White House Counsel Kathy Ruemmler.

Which episode? I'll listen to during my workout.

Everyone should want an independent investigation to put this mess to bed. Until it happens it will just keep festering.

I just want one piece of actual evidence. I haven't seen it yet. The media would have never gone after Obama with such little proof of anything.

Liberals supported Hillary, so they obviously don't care about actual guilt or innocence.

special prosecutors can come from different sources. Which is why democrats emphasize having an "Independent" special prosecutor. One that can't be fired by Trump or his administration.

Your TDS is getting out of hand.
What proof do you have of treason?

So far not even the intelligence committee has such evidence.

I just want one piece of actual evidence. I haven't seen it yet. The media would have never gone after Obama with such little proof of anything.

Liberals supported Hillary, so they obviously don't care about actual guilt or innocence.
We have asked them repeatedly for evidence they cannot give what doesn't exist.
What I find interesting is none of these people were clammoring for a special prosecutor when clinton
Was being investigated.

So if there wasn't a need for one then in which we had actual evidence that she was breaking at least 4 major US codes then
We don't need one now when here is litterely no evidence at all.

Everyone should want an independent investigation to put this mess to bed. Until it happens it will just keep festering.

No prosecutor in his right mind would investigate anything without evidence.

No prosecutor in his right mind would investigate anything without evidence.

So the FBI, Senate and house intel committees are not in their right minds?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom