• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Michelle Obama's portrait doesn't look just like her. It doesn't have to.

ReverendHellh0und

I don't respect you.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
[h=1]Michelle Obama's portrait doesn't look just like her. It doesn't have to.[/h]
Washington (CNN)The Obamas were back in Washington on Monday for the unveiling of their official portraits that will hang in the National Portrait Gallery. While Barack Obama's portrait -- the former president seated in a chair surrounded by flowers and leaves-- was intriguing, it was the depiction of former first lady Michelle Obama that stole the show -- primarily because some corners of the Internet (including me) didn't think the portrait looked much like Mrs. Obama.

In search of an expert opinion, I reached out to Philip Kennicott, the Pulitzer Prize-winning art critic for The Washington Post. Our conversation, conducted via email and lightly edited for flow, is below. (And his full review is here.)

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/12/politics/michelle-obama-portrait/index.html

Imagine the MSM and these idiots should the melania painting not look exactly like her. Do you all think there would even be a hint of an article like this?

Already they are making excuses for that sorry looking portrait of the former first lady. you can't make this stuff up folks.

Imagine the MSM and these idiots should the melania painting not look exactly like her. Do you all think there would even be a hint of an article like this?

Already they are making excuses for that sorry looking portrait of the former first lady. you can't make this stuff up folks. [/FONT][/COLOR]
Think of merging similar threads?

I don't like either one. It doesn't look like her and his makes him look old

I hate the background on his and hers looks like they gave her rigor mortis her skin tone is so blue hued.

Already they are making excuses for that sorry looking portrait of the former first lady. you can't make this stuff up folks. [/FONT][/COLOR]

I say assassinate the entire MSM... even though they have not done what you say they might do... death anyway!!

I don't like either one. It doesn't look like her and his makes him look old

She is clearly trying to scam the American People...

Well, CNN found an expert to let us all know that Michelle doesn't have to look like Michelle in a portrait. Guess that's settled now. :lol:

Well, CNN found an expert to let us all know that Michelle doesn't have to look like Michelle in a portrait. Guess that's settled now. :lol:

Then it's not a 'portrait'. :lol:

So we're getting mad about how CNN might run an article might describe a painting of Melania that "doesn't look like" her and using that to smear all of the media today?

Good lord...

"The Rev" today:

"The Rev" last week (in his typical self-righteously-indignant mode after someone mocked Trump's bald comb-over being exposed by a stiff breaze):

You consider this a serious topic for political discussion or brainless hyper-partisan garbage? Just curious

One of the problem with political discourse today is the lack of substance and tribal "burns". I comment on these threads because we have lost our way in this country and instead of debating intellectual positions of politics, we have to deal with koi fish, where japan builds cars, "I" vs "i'd", et all. There are so many real topics we can be discussing but you hate trump so you'd rather see how much you can "burn" him as a matter of political discourse. I find that unfortunate.

Rev, the funniest thing about dealing with you on this board is that you seem to believe your own b.s. I'm sure you'll now leave your own thread, as per usual, right? :lamo

Do you honestly believe that many (if any) people on this board do anything but :roll: every time you whine about the "lack of substance" and the "lack of intellectual discussion" on this board? You can't spew emotional right wing conspiracy theories, allegations and/or insults at your opponents.......and then bemoan the "lack of substance" on the board every time someone attacks or mocks your Cheeto-colored role model in the Oval Office. Take a look in the mirror, please.

Anyone know how to post a link to "Man in the Mirror" for this guy? :lamo

Last edited:
I'm a bit conflicted. I think the portraits are much more modern and impressionistic. They have more artistic merit. But when I look at these portraits of past heads of states I care more about seeing what they really looked like than artistic merit.

article-2152820-136387A1000005DC-227_964x438.jpg

Edit: I had some time to have a better look and I like Obama's portrait more than Michelle's. You get a good sense of what Obama looked like and artistically it's bold and interesting. Michelle's portrait is not a portrait. It's terrible.

Last edited:
I'm a bit conflicted. I think the portraits are much more modern and impressionistic. They have more artistic merit. But when I look at these portraits of past heads of states I care more about seeing what they really looked like than artistic merit.

article-2152820-136387A1000005DC-227_964x438.jpg

I envision children generations from now, viewing Michelle's portrait and walking away having no idea what she really looked like.

"The Rev" today:

"The Rev" last week (in his typical self-righteously-indignant mode after someone mocked Trump's bald comb-over being exposed by a stiff breaze):

Rev, the funniest thing about dealing with you on this board is that you seem to believe your own b.s. I'm sure you'll now leave your own thread, as per usual, right? :lamo

Do you honestly believe that many (if any) people on this board do anything but :roll: every time you whine about the "lack of substance" and the "lack of intellectual discussion" on this board? You can't spew emotional right wing conspiracy theories, allegations and/or insults at your opponents.......and then bemoan the "lack of substance" on the board every time someone attacks or mocks your Cheeto-colored role model in the Oval Office. Take a look in the mirror, please.

Anyone know how to post a link to "Man in the Mirror" for this guy? :lamo

Wow you typed all that, about me? I'm flattered.

I like the one of Obama, I find CNN's excuse making a valid topic of discussion given the obvious mocking this painting would have received if it was a republican president's wife. Do you have anything on the topic?

So we're getting mad about how CNN might run an article might describe a painting of Melania that "doesn't look like" her and using that to smear all of the media today?

Good lord...

oh you media protectionists are all too funny. Are you saying that if this happened with a republican potus wife, they wouldn't be mocking it? SOme of you are rather gullible.

Of course, had they really wanted to make CNN happy they could have just taken a portrait of Kim Jong Un's sister and labeled it "Michelle Obama."

This is a nice portrait. Bold colors. But it should have a more presidential background.

180212113953-special-cut-barack-obama-portrait-exlarge-169.jpg

This is a nice portrait. Bold colors. But it should have a more presidential background.

180212113953-special-cut-barack-obama-portrait-exlarge-169.jpg

Now that better pictures of it are out, I love it. It's great. My only big issue with it now is the out of proportion alien hand.

Good on obama and the artist for this one.

Michelle's portrait doesn't detail her face. The colors are dull. It focuses on a very elegant dress but she was never about gowns. I think it's terrible in every respect.

180212113917-special-cut-michelle-obama-portrait-exlarge-169.jpg

I don't think it was a sorry looking portrait. The painting itself is pretty good. But if I ran across that in an art gallery somewhere, I sure wouldn't be thinking Michelle. It is not a good likeness of her.

President Obama's portrait, on the other hand, is a remarkably good likeness of him, but it sure as heck doesn't look presidential to me. CNN thought it 'intriguing'. I think it is way too casually unpresidential. It honestly made me first think that he would assume that pose when sitting on the. . .well, you know. Both paintings should have been much better.

Maybe he wanted to illustrate how much bigger Obama's hands are than Trump's :2razz:

he over did it then, This threads about CNN's rationalization on the horrible michelle painting, there are at least two threads on the paintings themselves.

I don't think it was a sorry looking portrait. The painting itself is pretty good. But if I ran across that in an art gallery somewhere, I sure wouldn't be thinking Michelle. It is not a good likeness of her.

President Obama's portrait, on the other hand, is a remarkably good likeness of him, but it sure as heck doesn't look presidential to me. CNN thought it 'intriguing'. I think it is way too casually unpresidential. It honestly made me first think that he would assume that pose when sitting on the. . .well, you know. Both paintings should have been much better.

You show her portrait to anyone who hasn't seen it, not one person would be able to tell you who it was.

His is cool as hell, other than the strange large and long hand. It's typical of the artist he commissioned and I like how it was done. there were horrible pics of it earlier which I was disappointed by, this one however once in the right light is pretty good. cept for that damn hand arrrghhh I cant stop looking at it. lol

Back
Top Bottom