• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

March In Like a Lamb

Rexedgar

Yo-Semite!
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
At least in the mid Atlantic, does that mean that it goes out like a lion?

This is the 2nd in a row pretty mild winter we've had here in NY.. I love it.. Lots of rain, gonna pour again tomorrow, and some serious wind.. But little snow, and no below zero temperatures..

Global warming makes it nice sometime, like with warmer temps in late winter and early spring, but not so much in the middle of summer.
So, global warming picks and choose which states?

So, global warming picks and choose which states?
Holy cow. Read up a little.

Yes. It effects different areas differently at different times.

Leads to more extreme heat waves, cold snaps, droughts, precipitation events, etc.

Bottom line is it the a warming climate leads to more volatile weather.

At least in the mid Atlantic, does that mean that it goes out like a lion?
"Beware the ides of March." - Act 1, Scene 2 of Julius Caesar, by William Shakespeare ;)

March is typically a big snow month in Alaska, and we've already got ten feet of snow on the ground. Just another 15" more, and we will set another snowfall record. The present record for Anchorage and the surrounding area is 134.8". The snow will be on the ground until May.

not on the west coast
The west coast is more likely to feel the effects of El Nino and La Nina seasons than the east coast. During El Nino years the entire west coast, from Alaska to southern California, experiences more rainfall/snowfall than normal. While during La Nina years the entire west coast suffers from droughts, or a diminished rainfall/snowfall season. When California is experiencing their droughts, Alaska is getting much smaller amounts of rainfall/snowfall.

These El Nino and La Nina effects are mitigated by the Sierra Nevada and Cascade mountain ranges, followed by the Rocky mountain range further to the east. The mid-west and east coast are more influenced by the weather coming from the Gulf of Mexico in the south and the Arctic winds coming from the north in Canada. By the time the winds from the west coast pass the Rocky mountains they are cold and bone dry, so all of the effects from La Nina and El Nino years are lost by the time those winds reach Denver, CO.

March In Like a Lamb​

R.88290d6394f4b95f0311cd67b88ee4aa

Yes, and since I-80 was closed all weekend, it got stuck here. We sent it to the Alamo to wait with the truckers.
Well, I am glad it picked Missouri this year, as we have had a nice mild winter.... semper fi

Its been pretty temperate in my area. Usually it is colder this time of year.

The Jet Streams do.

Yep - and the warmer the planet gets, the more jet streams are impacted.
And our history of knowing what the jet streams were doing goes back how far?
The reality is that we do not know if our recent weather is unusual.
We do know the climate is changing, but linking that change to added CO2 is becoming more problematic
as we get more data. The Human activities of land use changes and aerosol dimming and brightening,
appear to be a much greater factor than the IPCC expressed, and CO2 hardly appears to be a factor at all.
Satellite and Ocean Data Reveal Marked Increase in Earth’s Heating Rate
The forcing warming is all happening in the Absorbed Solar Radiation (ASR) spectrum, something that greenhouse gases
do not affect.

Global warming makes it nice sometime, like with warmer temps in late winter and early spring, but not so much in the middle of summer.
Yep. Summer used to be my favorite. Now it's too hot. Just over the course of my life, it has really changed.

Yep. Summer used to be my favorite. Now it's too hot. Just over the course of my life, it has really changed.
Has it really changed? The only thing I can say with any certainty is that Summer nights do not get as cool as they did in my youth.
NOAA climate at a glance
1709654206301.png
Some states are higher but some are lower, 0.6F per decade is not a lot of warming.

Well, I am glad it picked Missouri this year, as we have had a nice mild winter.... semper fi
Yes, that's the point. It's not supposed to be warm in MO in the winter. And we're not supposed to get half a year's snow in three days.

Two years in a row they'll be skiing on the 4th of July. Two years prior, the record was broken and then matched with 22 days over 100 degrees. All the heat records for consecutive days over 80, 90 and 100 have been set since the late 80's. A tropical storm hit the Black Rock. The valley filled with smoke three summers in a row. This is the point. Things just ain't right.

Back
Top Bottom