• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Manafort's 7.5 years will end up being about 6 years, enough or too much?

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Manafort got another 3.5 years to bring his total to 7.5 years. With good behavior that will end up spending about 6-6.5 years in jail. DO you think that the total number of years was enough or too much for the crimes he committed? Is there people out there that think he should not have been brought to justice at all for these crimes?

Hardly matters, we are not talking about someone young.

Manafort got another 3.5 years to bring his total to 7.5 years. With good behavior that will end up spending about 6-6.5 years in jail. DO you think that the total number of years was enough or too much for the crimes he committed? Is there people out there that think he should not have been brought to justice at all for these crimes?

Not nearly enough. Unfortunately we have a justice system where the rich always get off light. Poor people often get a lot more for a lot less.

Who cares? Seriously. After the fact it means nothing. The federal state's job is to take people and destroy them, usually for good cause. But good cause or not, the big boot of the federal government has destroyed him. I'll be interested to see if he appeals his federal sentence, too.

But I do wonder if Cohen will survive being known as a rat. It may be a death sentence for him. What is telling is so far the state is not going after him for crimes committed in New York. It helps to not be Trump.

But regarding all of this. It is my belief that A.G. Barr is going to be making some moves soon. The fact that Mueller got his funds extended to September suggests to me that Mueller and Barr have something cooking between them that might be a surprise to all of us. Those of us following Judicial Watch's discovery through the freedom of information act, see a lot of lying by a lot of people. Let's not forget that Cohen's charge of lying to congress was generated by Mueller. Congress doesn't do a thing about it and that is an insult to the "one law for all" premise.

Last edited:
Paul Manafort just indicted in NY. Unfolding now......

Danielle Metz is serving life without parole for a first-offense drug distribution charge.

Who cares? Seriously. After the fact it means nothing. The federal state's job is to take people and destroy them, usually for good cause. But good cause or not, the big boot of the federal government has destroyed him. I'll be interested to see if he appeals his federal sentence, too.

But I do wonder if Cohen will survive being known as a rat. It may be a death sentence for him. What is telling is so far the state is not going after him for crimes committed in New York. It helps to not be Trump.

But regarding all of this. It is my belief that A.G. Barr is going to be making some moves soon. The fact that Mueller got his funds extended to September suggests to me that Mueller and Barr have something cooking between them that might be a surprise to all of us. Those of us following Judicial Watch's discovery through the freedom of information act, see a lot of lying by a lot of people. Let's not forget that Cohen's charge of lying to congress was generated by Mueller. Congress doesn't do a thing about it and that is an insult to the "one law for all" premise.

Well Jackson actually gave him 73 months on a possible 120 month's. But 30 of them have to be served concurrently with the Ellis sentence. The Ellis sentence was ridiculously low. 72 months from Ellis would have been average low as opposed to ridiculously low. Jackson basically threw the book at Manafort for what she had in her courtroom.

Manafort has just been indicted on 16 counts in NY... Falsifying records, conspiracy, real estate fraud...a bunch of offerings.

Manafort's scumbag attorney just came out of the Court in DC and crapped in his own nest AGAIN.

In and of itself I don't have a big problem with the sentence. 6 years is nothing to sneeze at and I am generally opposed to long prison sentences for first time, nonviolent offense. But relative to many of the sentences of poorer people with first-time nonviolent offenses, it seems lenient.

Well Jackson actually gave him 73 months on a possible 120 month's. But 30 of them have to be served concurrently with the Ellis sentence. The Ellis sentence was ridiculously low. 72 months from Ellis would have been average low as opposed to ridiculously low. Jackson basically threw the book at Manafort for what she had in her courtroom.

Manafort has just been indicted on 16 counts in NY... Falsifying records, conspiracy, real estate fraud...a bunch of offerings.

Manafort's scumbag attorney just came out of the Court in DC and crapped in his own nest AGAIN.

How much do you want to bet NY state won’t go after Cohen on state charges for other crimes uncovered by Mueller?

I would have liked to see Manafort spend the rest of his life behind bars, but care far less about him than I do the fat orange one who’s trying to ruin our country.

If you were as informed as you purport yourself to be, you’d know that Cohen is going to Otisville, a relative luxury spa compared to many other federal facilities. His biggest worry about harm there will be getting a paper cut in the library. Seriously, you’ve been watching too many old gangster movies.

Far less than the Witch Hunt was seeking, far more than Manafort was. He can be released earlier than that for a number of reasons...including , but not limited to:

Compassionate Release: Under Title 18 of the United States Code, Section 3582(c)(1)(A), “a sentencing court, on motion of the Director of the Bureau of Prisons, may reduce the term of imprisonment of an inmate sentenced under the Comprehensive Crime Control Act of 1984.” This statute governs a policy called “Compassionate Release.” Administrators in the BOP abide by Program Statement 5050.49. The BOP will only make the motion to a sentencing court in “particularly extraordinary or compelling circumstances.” Those circumstances include:

•Requests based on medical circumstances.
•Requests based on non-medical circumstances for elderly inmates.
•Requests based on non-medical circumstances in which there has been the death or incapacitation of the family member caregiver of an inmate’s child.
•Requests based on non-medical circumstances in which the spouse or registered partner of an inmate has become incapacitated.

Early Release From Federal Prison: How to Get It - Federal Prison Consultant

More ways in the link provided.

New York has just charge him with a large number of crimes. Since he is going to get a pardon, the state charges cannot be pardon by Trump.

How much do you want to bet NY state won’t go after Cohen on state charges for other crimes uncovered by Mueller?

I would have to review all of the SDNY Cohen guilty pleas to see if there are Double Jeopardy issues. I have not looked at them in a few weeks. Don't know what NY could charge Cohen that does not create a DJ issue. I would guarantee that they won't touch it if Cohen is still shoveling evidence out to Justice and Congress with a backhoe.

God only knows what sort of legal mess those taxi cab medallions might cause. I don't remember Justice getting into those. Since Cohen's cohort is a Russian Mobster, hard to imagine all that stuff is legit. I think Cohen's False Statements plea is tangentially involved as Cohen claimed them on loan documents as valued at $45M depending on how many he has/had and ultimately they were only valued at $20M or so. That said, I don't doubt they were worth $45M at one point. At one point you had to shell out almost as much for a NY cab medallion as you would for a seat on the floor of the NYSE. More interesting than how far they devalued in such a short period is why didn't Cohen see that coming. What.....he found out late about Uber, Lift????? Has he been living on another planet? So he let them slide to half or more their value and just stood there and took it? I will be well in my grave before those medallion values come back to anywhere near where they were at one time.

Last edited:
In general, white collar defendants either need to be punished much harder, or indigent defendants much less hard (with a focus on rehabilitation, training, education).

In general, white collar defendants either need to be punished much harder, or indigent defendants much less hard (with a focus on rehabilitation, training, education).

Well, I hope you are following the pay for placement college scam. More “laws for thee, but not for me”.

Does the law now have a second set of sentencing depending on age? I was unaware.

I did not say that. What I said was it hardly matters if we are talking about 8 years or 80, odds are he is done (and I do have an issue with that.)

I agree. This notion of mollycoddling first-offense white-collar crimes has to end.

I would have liked to see Manafort spend the rest of his life behind bars, but care far less about him than I do the fat orange one who’s trying to ruin our country.

If you were as informed as you purport yourself to be, you’d know that Cohen is going to Otisville, a relative luxury spa compared to many other federal facilities. His biggest worry about harm there will be getting a paper cut in the library. Seriously, you’ve been watching too many old gangster movies.

Looks like it was the Obama Swamp KGB-FBI-DOJ trying to ruin our nation, plus the asinine Obama foreign and domestic policies.

New York has just charge him with a large number of crimes. Since he is going to get a pardon, the state charges cannot be pardon by Trump.

Why? Oh yeah...SOUR GRAPES.

Double jeopardy.

Back
Top Bottom