• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Maine Senate moves to award electoral votes to popular vote winner

From my original post:

"Cue the inevitable and idiotic 'Our founding fathers never intended for city people to choose the next president, for reasons I have no intention of sourcing' argument."

I'm rather prescient, wouldn't you say?

Are you saying the sun is bright?

I reject this as idiotic and unsourced. :cool:

Back to the topic, I have no issue with states undoing their often shady co-option of apportionment, especially as it might theoretically also start us on the path to undoing the necrotic grip the two criminal parties have on our sham election process.

Of course what Maine is doing is shocking, and moves in the opposite direction.

Last edited:
Smaller states shouldn't have a bigger voice in elections.

That would turn them into colonies. The big states for example could lobby for an executive order that allows for using the smaller states as garbage dumps.

I'd have to look at this a little closer, but does it mean candidates in the New Democratic Party can ignore even more people?

On the contrary, a popular vote would assure every single person's vote counts regardless of where they live in the U.S. As it is now, a handful of counties in a handful of states decides the presidency. That is absurd.

That would turn them into colonies. The big states for example could lobby for an executive order that allows for using the smaller states as garbage dumps.

Indeed.

It seems that those who don't understand the underlying architecture dozed through civics and history...

It is legal, that's the whole point.

Hmmm.

It strikes me as simply a new way of cheating and silencing certain voters in one's state.

Yeah... heeeeeeeeere comes the gaslight spamming.

Time to use some of the technology the forum provides to avoid it.

They like the EC, which is supposed to be proportionally dispersed based on population... but they don't like the actual population's dispersement for some reason. Here's the whole conversation...

Idiot: LA and New York will then decide all elections!!!1!1!!!
Rational: The EC is proportionally dispersed
Idiot: So? LA and New York will then decide all elections!!!1!1!!!
Rational: If the EC is proportionally dispersed, then it's supposed to represent highly populated areas with more electors right?
Idiot: So? LA and New York will then decide all elections!!!1!1!!!
Rational: That means you should also be opposed to the fact that New York and California have more EC electors because of their larger populations right?
Idiot: So? LA and New York will then decide all elections!!!1!1!!!​

Rinse and repeat.

^^^Doesn't understand what the Maine Senate's plan entails.

And the court battles would commence a second later.

I certainly hope so.

This is a repulsive plan; the Maine Senate should be utterly ashamed of themselves.

Oh but they're politicians...

Never mind.

:)

Yet another states that gives up it sovereignty and the right of their people to cast their votes for who they want as president.
wow. i thought government job was to secure freedom not give it away.

people of the states should sue their government for the violation of their voting rights.

Yes indeed.

It may, or may not, backfire.

Hmmm.

It strikes me as simply a new way of cheating and silencing certain voters in one's state.

Especially once they give the vote to 10 million illegal aliens in California.

where are the democrats in defending minority rights? small states getting dominated by large states

Once again, conservatives are the ones stepping forward to object to the grotesque unconstitutionality of a political scheme.

The vagina hats may be on a bit too tight for some folks in Maine.

But it was the Blue states talking about and desiring this earlier, under Obama. Niether Blue nor Red matters, because states and legislatures change majority parties over election cycles.

The EC only matters in POTUS elections.

States don’t cast votes under a popular vote system. That’s the point.

What?

Maine's proposal could destroy the voices of numerous voters within the state.

It's a new way of cheating rather than a fair proposal for apportionment.

They support a republican president yet the popular vote supports a democrat.
the people pretty much had their voice nullified as to who they support as president.

you should put more thought behind your posts.
have a nice day no further response to you is needed.

Precisely.

How people aren't getting this is beyond me.

Sounds like everyone on the losing side in a winner-take-all state has a case against the EC.

Correct.

What Maine's Senate is proposing is simply a variation on cheating; it's repulsive.

A sham within a sham within a sham.

I'm pretty indifferent to the popular vote/Electoral college arguments overall. I don't think either system is substantially better than the other. But I absolutely hate this argument.

The people of Maine would not be having their voice nullified as to who they support as president. It's just that instead of sending their 4 EVs to whichever candidate, (or 3 to one and 1 to the other since it's Maine), and having the electoral college be decisive, they'd be sending their 747,000ish votes to the popular vote count which would be decisive for the president.

The Compact guarantees that the popular vote is decisive. (Or as much as the current system guarantees the electoral college is decisive since faithless electors could exist in either system). Maine has influence in the popular vote. To act like they are somehow having their voice nullified is, I think, ridiculous. There are better arguments to be made against the compact.

The Compact is a grotesque farce which silences the voices of voters.

The existing EC apportionment often does this as well, but instead of rational reapportionment, this grotesque sham.

And if Candidate B wins the PV and gets Maine's EVs, but a majority of Maine voters voted for Candidate A?
Essentially, they are being told "Your vote doesn't count anymore, too bad!". That's wrong.

Exactly.

It's just a new way of cheating voters and silencing their voices.

Of course the entire system is an utter sham and the People have no power anyway, but whatevs. :)

The states are only deciding how their own electoral votes are distributed. That ability is enshrined in the constitution.

They're doing so in a shocking and egregious fashion.

Winner take all is bad enough, but this is beyond disgusting.

Then they should get their legislature to change to a proportional vote then.
not give their votes over to another state to control.

Precisely.

What?

Maine's proposal could destroy the voices of numerous voters within the state.

It's a new way of cheating rather than a fair proposal for apportionment.

The EC always destroys the voices of numerous voter within every state. That's inherent in the way it works. A popular vote is the only way to avoid doing that. The NPVIC still operates within the flawed mechanism of the EC but it realizes the same outcome as a real national popular vote.

Back
Top Bottom