• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Key lawmakers seek probe of Kellyanne Conway's 'go buy Ivanka's stuff' message

Napoleon

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
WASHINGTON — In a rare bipartisan move, the top Republican and Democrat on a key congressional panel Thursday sharply rebuked White House adviser Kellyanne Conway for publicly promoting Ivanka Trump's fashion line and asked the federal government's chief ethics official to review her conduct.

"What she did was wrong, wrong, wrong," Utah Rep. Jason Chaffetz, the Republican chairman of the House Oversight and Reform Committee, tweeted Thursday afternoon as he and Rep. Elijah Cummings, D-Md., released the letter questioning Conway's actions.

*snip*

"Conway's statements clearly violate the ethical principles for federal employees and are unacceptable," Chaffetz and Cummings said in their letter to Walter Shaub, director of the Office of Government Ethics. The lawmakers say Conway likely violated rules that bar government officials from endorsing the "personal activities" of another individual and those that prohibit a public officials from promoting "any product, service or enterprise."

*snip*

Show no mercy.

Geez. These idiots and the media make it sound like she committed a satanic ritual on the White House lawn.

She made a mistake. Fine.
Slap her on the wrist and move the **** on!

Geeze. This is what our lawmakers are spending their time on? They have nothing more important that requires their attention?

Funny, the only bipartisan thing happening these days is two blowhards getting mad she didn't promote the companies they hold stock in instead. :lamo

Geez. These idiots and the media make it sound like she committed a satanic ritual on the White House lawn.

She made a mistake. Fine.
Slap her on the wrist and move the **** on!

Slap her old man's wrist, too. He stuck his nose into her business dealings where it didn't belong.
Or just accept the new White House.

Enforcement of ethics and the emoluments clause matters.

Are the facts in question? No, so why probe? Has the appropriate penalty for the action been taken? For the transgression, yes. Minor mistakes should be handled by a minor slap of the wrist.

I do not like Trump, I do not like Conway, but for ****'s sake, let's keep it real.

Much ado about nothing. Was she stupid, ignorant, and clearly uninformed? Yes. Should a person in her position actually have educated herself on the laws covering what government employees can and cannot legally say/do? Yes.

Is this the biggest concern we as a nation should have regarding this new administration? Oh hell no.

Much ado about nothing. Was she stupid, ignorant, and clearly uninformed? Yes. Should a person in her position actually have educated herself on the laws covering what government employees can and cannot legally say/do? Yes.

Is this the biggest concern we as a nation should have regarding this new administration? Oh hell no.

Given the fact trump has abused the @potus account to specifically attack a company for his daughter, conways unrepetence of her "plug"and the clear conflicts of interest trump has I think it shows a pattern of ethics lapses worth investigating. Or should trump and his admin be given free reign to break with ethics?

Show no mercy.

she, as a federal employee, conferred a preference
and then was admonished for it
let it go ... until it happens again
then show no mercy as she returns involuntarily to civilian life where such actions are acceptable

she seems smart
and in a new position, she is subject to new prohibitions
bet she has figured it out already

I like Conway but her statements were clearly in violation. I actually believe it would be good to implement a short suspension and warn that a secondary offense would be termination. I think a simple warning isn't enough of a punishment.

From what I read it wasn't illegal, just against regulations. I could be wrong. I agree it isn't much but I think it is important the administration shows a hard line response when there are concerns of conflicts of interest.

Given the fact trump has abused the @potus account to specifically attack a company for his daughter, conways unrepetence of her "plug"and the clear conflicts of interest trump has I think it shows a pattern of ethics lapses worth investigating. Or should trump and his admin be given free reign to break with ethics?

I don't disagree, except for the fact that as President, Trump is absolutely exempted from this particular governmental employee rule... and he knows it.

You seem to perceive that I am a Trump fan, since the tone of your reply is sarcastic and confrontational. Nothing could be farther from the truth. I despise Trump, and am in shock that there were enough imbeciles in this country to put a 200-lb toddler into the White House. THAT is what the American people should be concerned with, along with unconstitutional EO's and belittlement of the Judicial system doing the job the founders meant it to do.

Trump is a loose cannon. He WILL create chaos, because that is what he has chosen to do. He WILL create global instability, because that is what he has chosen to do. He WILL align himself with Russia, one of America's most dangerous enemies, because that is what he has chosen to do. So focusing on a relatively low-level lackey who followed her boss's orders to hawk Ivanka's personal business is the least of the worries the senate ethic committees should pursue. However, I do not criticize that decision, since even the republican chair of the Ethics Committee realizes that if the senate turns a blind eye to this kind of blatant conflict-of-interest violations, they will be relegated to the ash-heap of history.

Still, Ivanka's clothing/jewelry/shoe line is NOT the major problem facing the senate or the American people; Trump's own conflict of interest, ethical violations ARE. And for those, he is conveniently immune.

Geeze. This is what our lawmakers are spending their time on? They have nothing more important that requires their attention?

Yes, let's just ignore an ethics violation from the White House. That's a great way to start the new Administration.

I don't disagree, except for the fact that as President, Trump is absolutely exempted from this particular governmental employee rule... and he knows it.

You seem to perceive that I am a Trump fan, since the tone of your reply is sarcastic and confrontational. Nothing could be farther from the truth. I despise Trump, and am in shock that there were enough imbeciles in this country to put a 200-lb toddler into the White House. THAT is what the American people should be concerned with, along with unconstitutional EO's and belittlement of the Judicial system doing the job the founders meant it to do.

Trump is a loose cannon. He WILL create chaos, because that is what he has chosen to do. He WILL create global instability, because that is what he has chosen to do. He WILL align himself with Russia, one of America's most dangerous enemies, because that is what he has chosen to do. So focusing on a relatively low-level lackey who followed her boss's orders to hawk Ivanka's personal business is the least of the worries the senate ethic committees should pursue. However, I do not criticize that decision, since even the republican chair of the Ethics Committee realizes that if the senate turns a blind eye to this kind of blatant conflict-of-interest violations, they will be relegated to the ash-heap of history.

Still, Ivanka's clothing/jewelry/shoe line is NOT the major problem facing the senate or the American people; Trump's own conflict of interest, ethical violations ARE. And for those, he is conveniently immune.

The scary thing here is that Kellyanne is anything BUT a low-level lackey. She's one of the President's most senior advisors, and what she did here is reprehensible. Listening to her on Fox last night it sounds like her great and wonderful boss basically told her to forget about it. That right there is wrong. I wonder how many of the Trump fans would be having a meltdown if Valerie Jarrett had promoted the line of any Obama supporter, forget an Obama family member. My guess is all of them.

Slap her old man's wrist, too. He stuck his nose into her business dealings where it didn't belong.
Or just accept the new White House.

Yup, it started with him. He went after an American company for refusing, for business reasons, to carry his daughter's underperforming product line. I don't see how or why anyone would think there is anything inconsequential in this story. He should be admonished, and so should Kellyanne. I think he should suspend her without pay for 2 weeks to send a message that he understands his duties and the ethics violation here. Then let her come back and hope she's learned her lesson. And he should never, ever make a comment like that about his daughter's business again.

If any of my employees broke our company's ethics rules, I would have no choice but to terminate them.

Conway should be dumped. She's a shameless political operative with zero ethics and integrity (originally trained as a lawyer), and has been teaching Trump how to take lying to a new level. She's a bad influence and shouldn't be in the White House.

Yup, it started with him. He went after an American company for refusing, for business reasons, to carry his daughter's underperforming product line. I don't see how or why anyone would think there is anything inconsequential in this story. He should be admonished, and so should Kellyanne. I think he should suspend her without pay for 2 weeks to send a message that he understands his duties and the ethics violation here. Then let her come back and hope she's learned her lesson. And he should never, ever make a comment like that about his daughter's business again.

If any of my employees broke our company's ethics rules, I would have no choice but to terminate them.

If only Trump would actually heed that advice.

Hey, mainstream media. Here's a bit of advice for you.

Nobody cares one iota about this non-story. Nobody. You're wetting yourselves over something that is so incredibly irrelevant, you're just proving Trump's point about you more and more. People care about lots of important things, but you won't cover that stuff. No, you're obsessed with Ivanka Trump and Nordstrom's. THAT is why no one respects you.

LOL, are you going to step in every bear trap out there?

Back
Top Bottom