• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

No...I see it more as actions getting a reaction. Do enough bad stuff, bad things will eventually catch up with you. It's just probabilities.

Take someone who always breaks rules. They break them so often, it's second nature. THey lie, they cheat, they steal, they do drugs, they don't pay taxes or wear seatbelts, they drive with expired tags and no license, pretty much any rule we have, they break. Well, we all know that eventually that will catch up to them. Right?

True, but that is not karma. Again, it's called life.

True but people can and are dicks without there having to be retribution for their actions. People get away with crap all the time and profit from being mean. And nothing really bad ever happens to them.

That's incorrect. No one gets away with anything.

Everyday you decide to eat a 3 layer coconut cake. I see you eating the last slice of cake one morning. "Cake for breakfast, I think. Wow, he's lucky. He can have cake for breakfast and not worry about gaining weight." I didn't see you eat the entire cake. I'm not watching you eat a cake everyday and I'm not aware of your doing it. My opinion then is that you ate a piece of cake for breakfast and you don't have a weight problem. Good for you.

In this instance it is your karma, not mine. In a year you become a waddling fat guy with weight related health issues. It didn't happen overnight, but it is karma, dude. I didn't need to see it happen. Even then the results were gradual, but they accumulated. Karma happened though I was never aware of it.

Some kids are raped daily and at some pint die and are buried somewhere and never found and the monster that did it got away with it. There is no such thing as karma.

The evil monsters who do such things do not "get away with it" in karmic terms. You might assume they do and you might want to see them receive their karmic reward visited on them. Often you won't. That does not mean they escape karma. They don't.

Everyday you decide to eat a 3 layer coconut cake. I see you eating the last slice of cake one morning. "Cake for breakfast, I think. Wow, he's lucky. He can have cake for breakfast and not worry about gaining weight." I didn't see you eat the entire cake. I'm not watching you eat a cake everyday and I'm not aware of your doing it. My opinion then is that you ate a piece of cake for breakfast and you don't have a weight problem. Good for you.

In this instance it is your karma, not mine. In a year you become a waddling fat guy with weight related health issues. It didn't happen overnight, but it is karma, dude. I didn't need to see it happen. Even then the results were gradual, but they accumulated. Karma happened though I was never aware of it.
That isnt karma that is biology.

The evil monsters who do such things do not "get away with it" in karmic terms. You might assume they do and you might want to see them receive their karmic reward visited on them. Often you won't. That does not mean they escape karma. They don't.
You are just using the word karma as a catch all. That and wishful thinking.

Overeating is karma? I call it greed.

noun
(in Hinduism and Buddhism) the sum of a person's actions in this and previous states of existence, viewed as deciding their fate in future existences.

No, greed causes overeating. Putting on weight is not a result of bad karma.

Greed causes (can cause) overeating which causes (can cause) weight gain which causes (can cause) heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, and a host of related maladies. Cause = effect?

Greed causes (can cause) overeating which causes (can cause) weight gain which causes (can cause) heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, and a host of related maladies. Cause = effect?

You just argued against karma. Cause = effect. There are very specific reasons that causes cause the effects that they do. The belief in karma confusing those causes. Causation is specific.

A causes B
X caused Z

Z wasnt even in the picture.

There isnt a causation model that includes Z causing B

Therefor blaming Z for B is false.

You just argued against karma. Cause = effect. There are very specific reasons that causes cause the effects that they do. The belief in karma confusing those causes. Causation is specific.

A causes B
X caused Z

Z wasnt even in the picture.

There isnt a causation model that includes Z causing B

Therefor blaming Z for B is false.

There is no blame. None. It doesn't work that way.

this was a discussion at work today...karma isn't just an eastern philosophy any more

what does it mean to you?

is it real?

have you ever experienced it, witnessed it?

İt is divine justice!

noun
1(In Hinduism and Buddhism) the sum of a person’s actions in this and previous states of existence, viewed as deciding their fate in future existences.

Karma | Oxford Dictionaries

this was a discussion at work today...karma isn't just an eastern philosophy any more

what does it mean to you?
It means people at your work have too much time on their hands. :mrgreen:

It also means they are engaged in faulty thought.
Actual Karmic belief (not the western interpretation of it) is and always will be an eastern philosophy regardless of who believes in it.

As for Karma itself.
Humans like making connections regardless if there is an actual connection or not. :shrug:

Btw, if you believe in karma, never wish a person bad karma, as that will only come back on you.

You can get a good laugh by searching images of the word karma.

Last edited:
noun
1(In Hinduism and Buddhism) the sum of a person’s actions in this and previous states of existence, viewed as deciding their fate in future existences.
It means people at your work have too much time on their hands. :mrgreen:
well yeah there is that....it was during a lunch break though so we weren't getting paid while discussing :cool:

that is an interesting judgement since you have no idea of who was present or what was discussed and/or concluded
Actual Karmic belief (not the western interpretation of it) is and always will be an eastern philosophy regardless of who believes in it
well at least one can say is that it will always have an eastern root what it may evolve into is open

As for Karma itself.
Humans like making connections regardless if there is an actual connection or not. :shrug:
true

Btw, if you believe in karma, never wish a person bad karma, as that will only come back on you.
haha...cute... :2razz:

omgosh, that is an awesome site for karma humour :thumbs: thanks

well yeah there is that....it was during a lunch break though so we weren't getting paid while discussing
Fair enough, but you did say "at work", not "at lunch".

that is an interesting judgement since you have no idea of who was present or what was discussed and/or concluded
Not at all. I can only go on what was presented.It is based on your presentation of: "... karma isn't just an eastern philosophy any more ...". I can only go on what was presented.
As presented, that is a faulty thought because it is and always will be an Eastern philosophy. Even if adopted by others it still remains an Eastern Philosophy.

well at least one can say is that it will always have an eastern root what it may evolve into is open
If speaking about the Western view of it, yes, especially as that isn't what [K]arma actually is. Hence the definition. "... viewed as deciding their fate in future existences." Not the generalized Western view of [k]arma of what you do now affecting what happens in this life.

haha...cute... :2razz:
Sure. But in that belief, true.

omgosh, that is an awesome site for karma humour :thumbs: thanks
Just a Google image search, but you are welcome for the laughs.
Hopefully that brings me good karma, if I believe in that kind of thing. :mrgreen:

Last edited:

Karma is supposedly carried over from a previous life.

My karma has run over my dogma.

Karma is supposedly carried over from a previous life.

Yes. I've always believed that. Of course I don't know for certain. From a Buddhist perspective it is somewhat involved but, you can only affect the future by living fully in the present. The past no longer exists and the future is uncertain beyond the present. Karma depends on now.

Karma as some kind of mystical force/principle?

No.

Karma as in your actions for better or worse increases the likelihood that you'll be subject to the same kind of outcomes you visit on others through a process of causality and reciprocity? Of course.

so do you believe we can control what befalls us to a degree?

if so, to what degree?

Yes. We pick an attitude that either eases or complicates life. It will not change the current of life but determines whether we steer into the rapids or calmer waters.

Back
Top Bottom