• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Karma - Is it real

I just can't agree with your first sentence. I'll just repeat what I said 4 years ago.

The “everything happens for a reason” sentiment is a perfect example of something that people accept and repeat without even really understanding it, let alone challenging it. I understand that it's a sentiment uttered with the best of intentions, and it is important to acknowledge a person’s grief. You can do that by offering support, friendship, and love, there's no need for such a nonsensical phrase. I don't understand why it's used so often.

Everything does not happen for a reason. Sometimes bad things can and will just happen, for no reason at all. That's the reality.

Agreed...just as the Bible tells us...time and unforeseen circumstances befall us all...Ecclesiastes 9:11

Do you believe in Karma?

Is it a real thing?

Instant? Almost instant? Long term?

I don't believe in the re-birth kind of Karma, but occasionally the more instant kinds of Karma are fun to witness.
What goes around comes around kinda thing.

What do you think?

Where do you fall on the whole "karma" thing?

I believe in "karma", only as far as it applies to Newton's Third Law. What I don't believe in is "karma" as a supernatural result to a natural occurrence.

OM

No such thing as karma. Stuff happens. Sometimes there is a reason, sometimes not. Sometimes there is justice, sometimes not. Our actions can have consequences, but the consequences might not line up with what we think they should be.

Good words to keep in mind...another to keep in mind...Psalm 37:25...

"I was once young and now I am old,
But I have not seen anyone righteous abandoned,
Nor his children looking for bread."

Good luck dude!!!

:party:rock

:) Thanks, guys. It went great - think I might have got it...now the waiting game.

You didn't flip anybody the finger as you were driving to interview did you????

I don't think so...I was belting out songs in my car to work through the nerves...haha... I'm not sure what others on the road were doing.

I don't think so...I was belting out songs in my car to work through the nerves...haha... I'm not sure what others on the road were doing.

Looking at their phones...:roll::2razz:

What kind of music?

Metal??? :rock

Nah...country, of all things. I have a really wide range in my musical tastes - I was a DJ when I was in my late teens / early twenties, and it wasn't all clubs...lol... So, I got to like a lot of stuff I wouldn't normally have. For some reason, country rock is my go to for when I need to belt something out. Most of the time my playlists are indie, reggae, or mid 90's - early 00's hip hop. I also listen to classic rock, jazz, house... Yeah. Pretty near everything. Not a huge fan of overly aggressive death metal or industrial, and being 40 I'm sure there's genres I haven't even heard of now, but I like most music.

Nah...country, of all things. I have a really wide range in my musical tastes - I was a DJ when I was in my late teens / early twenties, and it wasn't all clubs...lol... So, I got to like a lot of stuff I wouldn't normally have. For some reason, country rock is my go to for when I need to belt something out. Most of the time my playlists are indie, reggae, or mid 90's - early 00's hip hop. I also listen to classic rock, jazz, house... Yeah. Pretty near everything. Not a huge fan of overly aggressive death metal or industrial, and being 40 I'm sure there's genres I haven't even heard of now, but I like most music.

What's your go-to country rock song that just gets you psyched and rockin?

What's your go-to country rock song that just gets you psyched and rockin?

It's not so much about getting psyched and rocking, it's what song can I sing that gets out the most anxious energy. Anxiety demands strange rituals.

But currently that song would have to be I'm To Blame by Kip Moore. I've been known to play that bad boy a dozen times in a row while attempt to shore up against a panic attack. It's a pretty good tune, too, if you're into country at all.

It's not so much about getting psyched and rocking, it's what song can I sing that gets out the most anxious energy. Anxiety demands strange rituals.

But currently that song would have to be I'm To Blame by Kip Moore. I've been known to play that bad boy a dozen times in a row while attempt to shore up against a panic attack. It's a pretty good tune, too, if you're into country at all.

Never heard of Kip Moore. I'll check him out.

Do you believe in Karma?

Is it a real thing?

I don't believe in the re-birth kind of Karma, but occasionally the more instant kinds of Karma are fun to witness.

What do you think?

It's real. It's called blessings and curses in Deuteronomy chapter 28.

If you sow good things God will bless you; sow evil and you will eventually reap evil.

It's real. It's called blessings and curses in Deuteronomy chapter 28.

If you sow good things God will bless you; sow evil and you will eventually reap evil.

LM, you may wanna consider the origin of karma 1st...it is a belief of false religion...

kar·ma
/ˈkärmə/
noun
(in Hinduism and Buddhism) the sum of a person's actions in this and previous states of existence, viewed as deciding their fate in future existences.
INFORMAL
destiny or fate, following as effect from cause.
karma definition - Google Search

I believe in karma, consider it real and infinite. The details befuddle me.

I enjoy fantasizing about the possibility of reincarnation! Imagine changing genders and species... or taking on an alien form!

Perhaps not related to karma, yet something I want to briefly pivot to: on one of my few LSD trips, age 15, while looking up at power lines at night, I clearly saw a blue aura emanating from those power lines!

The boundaries of knowledge have no limits. What any one of us can learn in a given lifetime amounts to less than a drop of ocean water in the vast sum of all the oceans. Therefore, I believe in karma, in living with more Grace, more Honor, more Humor... and most of all, believing that Love reigns Supreme!

Quote attributed to Hunter S. Thompson:

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

Do you believe in Karma?

Is it a real thing?

What do you think?

I beleive bad things happen, and that good things happen. Sometimes bad things happen to good people, and good things happen to bad people. And then sometimes, bad things happen because some asshole brought **** upon their own head.

Your "proof" of this being????

Jesus said..."‘It is Jehovah your God you must worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred service.’" Matthew 4:10

“I will prove to be with you, and this is the sign for you that it was I who sent you: After you have brought the people out of Egypt, you people will serve the true God on this mountain.” Exodus 3:12

Jesus said..."‘It is Jehovah your God you must worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred service.’" Matthew 4:10

“I will prove to be with you, and this is the sign for you that it was I who sent you: After you have brought the people out of Egypt, you people will serve the true God on this mountain.” Exodus 3:12

but can you show that Jesus was correct?

And if Krishna said something that's relatively the same, how would you know which one is correct and which one is "false"?
How would you prove the falsehood?

And if Krishna said something that's relatively the same, how would you know which one is correct and which one is "false"?
How would you prove the falsehood?

But he doesn't, nor does anyone else...the Bible's truths stands on their own...

Other Holy Books?

This naturally leads us to ask about other books that claim to be inspired by God. Two that people often ask about are the Quran and the book of Mormon. The Quran (or Koran) is the basis of Islam, the religion practiced by Muslims. The book of Mormon is one of several books considered as holy by Mormons, who refer to themselves as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.[2] Both the Quran and the book of Mormon claim to be inspired by God. Do we accept their self-claim?

In these cases, we have good reasons to believe otherwise. These books are strikingly different from those that God inspired. As one example, consider the way in which these books were written. Recall that God used primarily eye-witnesses to historical events recorded in Scripture, and He used multiple authors so that their writings would corroborate each other. However, the information in the Quran is the work of one man, Mohammad, who did not witness the events the book describes. Likewise, the book of Mormon is apparently the work of one man, Joseph Smith, who did not witness the events described therein.

Joseph Smith lived from 1805 to 1844. He was put on trial in 1826 for being a “glass-looker” (a con-artist), which calls into question his reliability. Is the book of Mormon simply another one of Smith’s cons? Smith claimed that he was visited by an angel named “Moroni” in the year 1823, who gave him the location of buried golden plates that contained sacred writings. Smith claimed that he retrieved these plates in 1827, but the angel told him not to show anyone, but to translate and publish them. Unlike the text of Scripture, these plates are not open to objective inspection by others. Instead, we are forced to take the word of a man charged with being a con-artist.

The plates were supposedly a record of indigenous early Americans, written in a language that Joseph Smith called “reformed Egyptian.” Smith was allegedly gifted with the ability to read and divinely translate these plates into English. Smith claimed that the angel took back the plates once Smith had completed his translation of them. So we have no way of checking Smith’s translation, and no empirical evidence that such golden plates ever actually existed. This of course stands in stark contrast to the thousands of ancient copies we have of the biblical books in their original languages, subject to objective examination by all. Further, there is no historical evidence for a language called “reformed Egyptian.” In contrast, the Bible was written in known languages: Hebrew and Greek. Unlike the Bible, the book of Mormon has no corroboration from other books written by other authors to its supposed history, and no eye-witnesses to the events recorded therein. This book has none of the characteristics of God’s Word, and instead has all the marks of being the invented fiction of one man.

The Quran likewise appears to be the work of one man: Mohammad. He lived from around the year A.D. 570 to 673 and considered himself a prophet of God. As a child, Mohammad apparently had some limited exposure to Christianity and the Bible. He would often go to a cave to pray, and when he was 40, he reported being visited by the angel Gabriel who gave him revelation from God. He then began preaching these revelations to others. Mohammad’s companions eventually wrote down these revelations, which became the Quran. The Quran is divided into chapters called “Surahs” and often refers to God as “Allah.” Unlike the biblical authors, Mohammad did not witness the alleged events recorded in the Quran. And, like the book of Mormon, the Quran does not enjoy the corroboration of other authors. Again, this text has none of the characteristics of divine revelation, and appears to be the invention of one man.

So the Quran and the book of Mormon each appear to have an entirely human origin without any factual basis. They are not eye-witness accounts of history. They have none of the properties normally associated with God’s Word.

The Bible vs. other Holy Books | Biblical Science Institute

But he doesn't, nor does anyone else...the Bible's truths stands on their own...

The Bible vs. other Holy Books | Biblical Science Institute

That whole argument suffers from the logical fallacies of 'begging the question' for one. It makes the assumption the bible is the proper scripture without backing it up an d then quotes from the bible to 'prove' that. If you boil down everything in the rather verbose paragraph it boils down to 'because I said so'

Back
Top Bottom