• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Justice demands 1.3M IP addresses related to Trump resistance site

Angelus

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

The Department of Justice has requested information on visitors to a website used to organize protests against President Trump, the Los Angeles-based Dreamhost said in a blog post published on Monday. DreamHost claimed that the complying with the request from the Justice Department would amount to handing over roughly 1.3 million visitor IP addresses to the government, in addition to contact information, email content and photos of thousands of visitors to the website, which was involved in organizing protests against Trump on Inauguration Day.

“In essence, the Search Warrant not only aims to identify the political dissidents of the current administration, but attempts to identify and understand what content each of these dissidents viewed on the website,” the company’s general counsel, Chris Ghazarian, said in a legal argument opposing the request.This includes “names, addresses, telephone numbers and other identifiers, e-mail addresses, business information, the length of service (including start date), means and source of payment for services (including any credit card or bank account number), and information about any domain name registration.”

Big Brother wants more info on you if you dared to march against Trump. This is the govt - so freedom of speech applies here. Demanding the identities, and all other information for those who went to this site is a pretty scary move toward an authoritarian govt.

If I was the owner of the website, I'd tell the Justice Department, "As soon as you gather all the IP addresses for the Alt-Right affiliates who gathered in Charlottseville, VA I'll turn over the IP address of my customers. Until then, no thanks."

The Department of Justice has requested information on visitors to a website used to organize protests against President Trump, the Los Angeles-based Dreamhost said in a blog post published on Monday. DreamHost claimed that the complying with the request from the Justice Department would amount to handing over roughly 1.3 million visitor IP addresses to the government, in addition to contact information, email content and photos of thousands of visitors to the website, which was involved in organizing protests against Trump on Inauguration Day.

“In essence, the Search Warrant not only aims to identify the political dissidents of the current administration, but attempts to identify and understand what content each of these dissidents viewed on the website,” the company’s general counsel, Chris Ghazarian, said in a legal argument opposing the request.This includes “names, addresses, telephone numbers and other identifiers, e-mail addresses, business information, the length of service (including start date), means and source of payment for services (including any credit card or bank account number), and information about any domain name registration.”

Big Brother wants more info on you if you dared to march against Trump. This is the govt - so freedom of speech applies here. Demanding the identities, and all other information for those who went to this site is a pretty scary move toward an authoritarian govt.

"small government" conservatives :roll:

If I was the owner of the website, I'd tell the Justice Department, "As soon as you gather all the IP addresses for the Alt-Right affiliates who gathered in Charlottseville, VA I'll turn over the IP address of my customers. Until then, no thanks."

So, go ahead and Big Brother us, so long as it's all of us?

No thanks.

If that is accurate then that is disturbing.

I know why they are demanding those ip adresses but it is a rediculous demand. They want them because the acts committed on inauguration day were acts of terrorism, however blanket gaining data on everyone is not really the answer. They want to monitor them to see who is among the organizers and perps for those acts, but just like the patriot act and even fisa warrants, it holds a heavy potential to be abused.

Biggest fear would be the doj using it against political rivals, let's say a senator visited the site a lot but committed no criminal activity, then some leaks happen oops that show him visiting there trying to paint him as a terrorist during a campaign.

What website was the DOJ interested in, exactly?

Looks like disruptj20.org is the website.

Irony alert........

donald-trump-tweets-2012-1478856552.jpg

Cant have people revolting now that you are president aye there tough guy.

:lamo

You reap what you sow.

Last edited:
A political administration weaponizing an arm of the government to attack political opposition? I thought that was ehat Clinton was going to do?

qT2VVCC.jpg

Literal right-wing fascism from Donny's administration. I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you.

If these people are smart they'll go ahead and also register on some neo-Nazi website so the DOJ will leave them alone.

A political administration weaponizing an arm of the government to attack political opposition? I thought that was ehat Clinton was going to do?

Well, she did try to do this, see Filegate. Obama actually did do it;

"
(CNN) — Here's some background information about the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) scandal involving the targeting of certain groups. In May 2013, the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration released a report indicating the targeting involved delaying the processing of applications by certain conservative groups and requesting information from them that was later deemed unnecessary.

The Justice Department is investigating circumstances surrounding the disappearance of IRS emails..."

IRS Scandal Fast Facts - CNN

This is concerning and not a good road to go down.

Well, she did try to do this, see Filegate. Obama actually did do it;

"
(CNN) — Here's some background information about the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) scandal involving the targeting of certain groups. In May 2013, the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration released a report indicating the targeting involved delaying the processing of applications by certain conservative groups and requesting information from them that was later deemed unnecessary.

The Justice Department is investigating circumstances surrounding the disappearance of IRS emails..."

IRS Scandal Fast Facts - CNN

Learn to deflect better.

If that is accurate then that is disturbing.

What website was the DOJ interested in, exactly?

This is concerning and not a good road to go down.

We Fight for the Users

For the past several months, DreamHost has been working with the Department of Justice to comply with legal process, including a Search Warrant (PDF) seeking information about one of our customers’ websites. At the center of the requests is disruptj20.org, a website that organized participants of political protests against the current United States administration. While we have no insight into the affidavit for the search warrant (those records are sealed), the DOJ has recently asked DreamHost to provide all information available to us about this website, its owner, and, more importantly, its visitors.

As we do in all such cases where the improper collection of data is concerned, we challenged the Department of Justice on its warrant and attempted to quash its demands for this information through reason, logic, and legal process. Instead of responding to our inquiries regarding the overbreadth of the warrant, the DOJ filed a motion (PDF) in the Washington, D.C. Superior Court, asking for an order to compel DreamHost to produce the records.

There is a link to the search warrant, and other documents to confirm.

We Fight for the Users

For the past several months, DreamHost has been working with the Department of Justice to comply with legal process, including a Search Warrant (PDF) seeking information about one of our customers’ websites. At the center of the requests is disruptj20.org, a website that organized participants of political protests against the current United States administration. While we have no insight into the affidavit for the search warrant (those records are sealed), the DOJ has recently asked DreamHost to provide all information available to us about this website, its owner, and, more importantly, its visitors.

As we do in all such cases where the improper collection of data is concerned, we challenged the Department of Justice on its warrant and attempted to quash its demands for this information through reason, logic, and legal process. Instead of responding to our inquiries regarding the overbreadth of the warrant, the DOJ filed a motion (PDF) in the Washington, D.C. Superior Court, asking for an order to compel DreamHost to produce the records.

There is a link to the search warrant, and other documents to confirm.

Thanks a lot. I clicked the link and now my IP is going to show up in some search warrant return.

I know why they are demanding those ip adresses but it is a rediculous demand. They want them because the acts committed on inauguration day were acts of terrorism, however blanket gaining data on everyone is not really the answer. They want to monitor them to see who is among the organizers and perps for those acts, but just like the patriot act and even fisa warrants, it holds a heavy potential to be abused.

Biggest fear would be the doj using it against political rivals, let's say a senator visited the site a lot but committed no criminal activity, then some leaks happen oops that show him visiting there trying to paint him as a terrorist during a campaign.

At most it can be used like that, but still the amount of information alone will be a logistical nightmare to deal with.

But that is the problem with living in the information age that we live in now, and we are a part of it whether we like it, or not.

Thanks a lot. I clicked the link and now my IP is going to show up in some search warrant return.

You could not have expressed the problem more eloquently - 1.3 million people. Of course with all the other information they can find those who really have problems with Trump. Be careful what you put on FB, or in your email. That information is now gonna be judged if Justice gets a warrant.

So, go ahead and Big Brother us, so long as it's all of us?

No thanks.

Try reading between the lines...

I was basically saying this company should tell the Trump Administration/DoJ to go ***k themselves in a polite way. :roll:

I wouldn't turn over a single IP Address without a federal warrant and even then I'd fight it.

Last edited:
Try reading between the lines...

I was basically saying this company should tell the Trump Administration/DoJ to go ***k themselves in a polite way. :roll:

I wouldn't turn over a single IP Address without a federal warrant and even then I'd fight it.

Just the Trump administration though.

I had the same sentiments when the Obama administration played fast and loose with my online privacy, and a raised a fuss with the Patriot Act.

Looks like it's part of a criminal investigation.
If these guys operate like Antifa in Germany does, they use websites to coordinate activities and logistics.
Seems like it would make sense.

Google could probably provide the info if they really wanted. They know everything about you.

Jeez, the Trumpanzees get pissed about gun registration, but want to register protesters? Who would have thunk it? Oh, I'd say just about everybody. LOL.

as members of an online political debate site, this kind of thing affects all of us regardless of where we consider ourselves to be on the political spectrum. it's utterly chilling.

Back
Top Bottom