• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Judge blocks Trump immigration order for Syrian family[W:44]

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
MADISON, Wis. — A federal judge in Wisconsin on Friday blocked President Trump's revised immigration order from applying to the case of a Syrian asylum recipient and his family.

U.S. District Judge William Conley in Madison put a limited freeze on the presidential order, which restricts immigration from six mostly Muslim nations. Conley’s order applies only to the Syrian man and only lasts until his case can be resolved, ensuring the government will keep working on the man's asylum request for his family while he challenges Trump’s latest immigration limits.

"Given the daily threat to the lives of plaintiff's wife and child remaining in Aleppo, Syria, the court further finds a significant risk of irreparable harm," Conley wrote in a brief order Friday.

Yea, that's right. We were about to deport someone who had been granted asylum to almost certain death. He gets to stay, and his family will get to come here and stay with him The cynical argument put forth by the government was that this family gets to be reunited if he is deported. They are right on that. This family will be reunited right here in the USA, and out of harm's way.

There are other cases moving through the Federal courts challenging Trump's Immigration Ban 2.0, but this decision applies to this family only. This intervention and decision has most likely saved lives. Contrary to popular opinion, FDR was not the greatest president ever. One of his orders deported a boat load of Jews back to Germany, where they were murdered, and the courts stood behind him. Thank God the courts are not rubber stamping something similar again.

Judge blocks Trump immigration order for Syrian family | khou.com

Last edited:
Re: Judge blocks Trump immigration order for Syrian family

Yea, that's right. We were about to deport someone who had been granted asylum to almost certain death. This family gets to stay. The cynical argument put forth by the government was that this family gets to be reunited. They are right on that. This family will be reunited right here in the USA, and out of harm's way.

There are other cases moving through the Federal courts challenging Trump's Immigration Ban 2.0, but this decision applies to this family only. This intervention and decision has most likely saved a life.

Calling a court order (injunction) preventing a single individual from being deported while his case is pending before that court a "limited freeze of the new ban" is a bit of a stretch.

Calling a court order (injunction) preventing a single individual from being deported while his case is pending before that court a "limited freeze of the new ban" is a bit of a stretch.

I don't think so. He had already been granted asylum because his government wants him dead.

Yea, that's right. We were about to deport someone who had been granted asylum to almost certain death. He gets to stay, and his family will get to come here and stay with him The cynical argument put forth by the government was that this family gets to be reunited if he is deported. They are right on that. This family will be reunited right here in the USA, and out of harm's way.

There are other cases moving through the Federal courts challenging Trump's Immigration Ban 2.0, but this decision applies to this family only. This intervention and decision has most likely saved lives. Contrary to popular opinion, FDR was not the greatest president ever. One of his orders deported a boat load of Jews back to Germany, where they were murdered, and the courts stood behind him. Thank God the courts are not rubber stamping something similar again.

Obama was passing out asylum to any Tom Dick and Harry. I doubt his asylum claims are legitimate. If he was run out of town for planting bombs and murdering people, that's not the type of asylum seeker we want. The actual details of his case weren't mentioned. Which is why I'm dubious.

I like that defamatory "mostly Muslim country" add on. It tells you all about the author.

1. I didn't read anything in that article about someone about to be deported. Where did you get that?

2. Where did you get that "cynical argument..." thing? That wasn't in the article, either.

3. What the hell does FDR have to do with any of this? Did you just add that in for ****s and grins?

4. Frankly, I don't think this judge's order is even necessary.

The federal government last month told Conley that Trump's immigration order isn't blocking the man's petition to be reunited with his family. Attorneys for the U.S. Department of Justice said the asylum request for the man's wife and daughter is being processed.

Where in that article does it indicate that we were about to deport that man?

The judges are overstepping their authority

Congress and the executive branch determine immigration policy not the courts

And this judge has no jurisdiction over the safety of a woman in syria

Btw: the picture of trump the story is a good example of leftwing bias ln the media

Given the journalists hate for trump we cannot even be sure the facts here are accurate

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong here, but I'm reading the article a little differently than the OP.

The Syrian man has already been granted asylum in 2016 and "his wife and 3-year-old daughter were near to having asylum granted before Trump became president and issued two immigration orders." Apparently Attorneys for the U.S. Department of Justice said the asylum request for the man's wife and daughter are being processed.

That reads to me like there are concerns that President Trumps revised immigration order that restricts immigration from Syria, could now apply to his wife and daughter even though their requests are currently being processed.

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong here, but I'm reading the article a little differently than the OP.

The Syrian man has already been granted asylum in 2016 and "his wife and 3-year-old daughter were near to having asylum granted before Trump became president and issued two immigration orders." Apparently Attorneys for the U.S. Department of Justice said the asylum request for the man's wife and daughter are being processed.

That reads to me like there are concerns that President Trumps revised immigration order that restricts immigration from Syria, could now apply to his wife and daughter even though their requests are currently being processed.

Still the budge is overstepping his authority by demanding that the trump adminstration let the woman come here

It's time to start impeaching some Federal judges.

Why bother, just round them up and hang them.. that is what you want right? Only "YES SIR" types in the judicial .

Why bother, just round them up and hang them.. that is what you want right? Only "YES SIR" types in the judicial .

We need judges who don't overstep their constitutional authority.

It's this simple: if an EO doesn't violate The Constitution, nor the existing law, a judge can't block it.

Federal judges should be term limited to 10 years

We need judges who don't overstep their constitutional authority.

It's this simple: if an EO doesn't violate The Constitution, nor the existing law, a judge can't block it.

And you are a legal expert on the subject right? ... :roll:

No, you dont like Muslims, and hence this judge must be wrong and has to be replaced.....

I don't think so. He had already been granted asylum because his government wants him dead.

I don't believe that was CA's point.

No, you dont like Muslims, and hence this judge must be wrong and has to be replaced.....

I'm an expert on common sense. Have a working knowledge of the Constitution. What I know is the job of judges is determining of a law has been broken. Judges are hot Constitutionally allowed to make law. That they do it anyway is a problem.

I'm expert enough to understand the limits of a judges constitutional authority.

How about, instead of silly attacks and accusations, you present an actual argument that refutes what I said?

Given the daily threat to the lives of plaintiff's wife and child remaining in Aleppo, Syria, the court further finds a significant risk of irreparable harm," Conley wrote in a brief order Friday.

The judge is overstepping his authority

Foreign policy and immigration are congressional and presidential responsibility

A woman in syria has no standing in a federal court

Foreign policy and immigration are congressional and presidential responsibility

Not only that, President Trump's EO doesn't violate The Constitution, nor the law, therefore the judge can't rule against it.

A woman in Syria didn't bring the action. The husband in America did.

A woman in Syria didn't bring the action. The husband in America did.

Doesn't change the fact that this is an illegal ruling.

Not only that, President Trump's EO doesn't violate The Constitution, nor the law, therefore the judge can't rule against it.

The woman in Syria didn't bring the action. A man and father in America did.

The order doesn't say it violates the Constitution, I think. In that specific case, I believe the Court is deciding irreparable harm because of something the country "guaranteed" before and is now changing its mind.

In any case, it is up to the Courts to determine its Constitutionality. It seems Constitutional, since it left out the Muslim ban language and clarified the green card and Visa situations.

But judges do. Often. And at all levels.

Doesn't change the fact that this is an illegal ruling.

That will be determined by a higher Court. Not you or me or Trump.

This is why the founding fathers set up the checks and balances system with the Courts deciding legalities of the other two branches.

I don't think the Court said the order is unconstitutional. But I haven't read the order yet. Maybe the decision will be overturned. Maybe not.

Trump is seeing that governing is very different from being the boss of a company, where there are no checks and balances.

Back
Top Bottom