• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Judge bars Biden administration from working with social media companies on 'protected speech'

Glitch

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
U.S. District Judge Terry Doughty of Louisiana granted the injunction in response to a 2022 lawsuit brought by attorneys general in Louisiana and Missouri. Their lawsuit alleged that the federal government overstepped in its efforts to convince social media companies to address postings that could result in vaccine hesitancy during the COVID-19 pandemic or affect elections.

Source:

This all began under Obama with the illegal seizure of information from Americans by the NSA and the willingness of corporations to violate the rights of every American by willingly giving this information illegally to the government. Naturally, it continues under Biden and includes the deliberate illegal censorship of Americans by government through their corporate puppets. Once again demonstrating how Democrats spit on the US Constitution daily and do not think any one has any rights whatsoever so they have absolutely no problem violating those constitutionally-protected rights.

This is what has made the Democratic Party the most serious threat the US and the American people has ever faced.

Source:

This all began under Obama with the illegal seizure of information from Americans by the NSA and the willingness of corporations to violate the rights of every American by willingly giving this information illegally to the government. Naturally, it continues under Biden and includes the deliberate illegal censorship of Americans by government through their corporate puppets. Once again demonstrating how Democrats spit on the US Constitution daily and do not think any one has any rights whatsoever so they have absolutely no problem violating those constitutionally-protected rights.

This is what has made the Democratic Party the most serious threat the US and the American people has ever faced.

Nonsensical bullshit.

Yep, having a federal ‘ministry of truth’ (wearing various official hats) able to label (politically?) ‘icky’ things (on social media sites) as being ‘dangerous disinformation’ is allowing our free speech rights to become no more than state issued privileges.

Yep, having a federal ‘ministry of truth’ (wearing various official hats) able to label (politically?) ‘icky’ things (on social media sites) as being ‘dangerous disinformation’ is allowing our free speech rights to become no more than state issued privileges.

Oh, piss off with that talk radio blather.

87C6C4DF-C35E-4BAC-850A-8DE03F63FF36.jpeg

It is so tempting.

38BE0682-1EF6-4D68-8DE9-CC36BC36AF10.gif

Source:

Well this won't last long.

Republican brought this up during COVID when it was happening. Democrats denied it ever happened. Now the truth comes out that there really was a Ministry of Truth hiding among several goverment organizations spoon feeding the public their tainted political narrative in the name of public safety. This is a huge problem and has the potential to be as big as Watergate. Stay tuned.

Long term listener first time caller judge.

Our judicial branch is a ****ing joke.
The First Amendment is crystal clear with regard to its' prohibition on government interference with free speech, especially political speech. When the government tries to circumvent that prohibition by restrictions via proxy it needs to bee called out for doing so.

You guys say you hate fascism but one of the key components of fascism is ideological dishonesty and there is little that's more ideologically dishonest than getting someone else to do your dirty work while claiming to have only the best intentions in mind.

As usual, the Republicans have it ass backwards.

It isn't "right leaning speech" being sequestered.

It just happens that right wingers tend to post more disgusting and dangerous lies.

What is "right wing" about lying about vaccines? Nothing. The left wing used to be the champion, in that sport, and very recently so. Not anymore.

What is "conservative" about spreading lies about elections? Nothing.

Ass backwards, I tell ya.

Source:

??????????? it is a violation to do so NOW------but not before the courts decided on the case.

Yep, having a federal ‘ministry of truth’ (wearing various official hats) able to label (politically?) ‘icky’ things (on social media sites) as being ‘dangerous disinformation’ is allowing our free speech rights to become no more than state issued privileges.t
I strongly object to broadcasting untrue information on social media. But I'm glad of this ruling. The govt needs to keep its pea pickin hands out of it.

I strongly object to broadcasting untrue information on social media.

Relying on social media or any single ‘news’ media source is moronic. After all, we were (once) told by ‘experts’ that being ‘fully vaccinated’ for COVID-19 meant that one could not get or spread that virus (it was a pandemic of the unvaccinated) and that Hunter Biden’s laptop content was ‘disinformation’ (until after the 2020 election).

But I'm glad of this ruling. The govt needs to keep its pea pickin hands out of it.

Absolutely, and the ‘public servants’ who participated in censorship should be held personally accountable.

The First Amendment is crystal clear with regard to its' prohibition on government interference with free speech, especially political speech. When the government tries to circumvent that prohibition by restrictions via proxy it needs to be called out for doing so.

Every single time!

You guys say you hate fascism but one of the key components of fascism is ideological dishonesty and there is little that's more ideologically dishonest than getting someone else to do your dirty work while claiming to have only the best intentions in mind.

I doubt the lot that defends Biden and his regime's interference with protected speech rights realize that they are for advocating fascism. How come they don't know this basic stuff, Lutherf?

Source:

So everyone in America can report fake content to social media companies, but the government can't?

Interesting.

Biden was elected. If he and officials in his administration admonish social media for posting lies and harmful misininformation, they're well within their rights. Biden has as much right to free speech as anyone else. This judge is an alt-right asshole.

Here's a non-paywall account:

If this had been limited to just vaccine misinformation I'd still have a problem with it (you fight misinformation with factual information), but it would be at least a somewhat forgivable sin given a near unprecedented health crisis. That the coercion targeted the lab-leak theory, with its possible ties to administration officials, and the political Pandora's Box that is Hunter's laptop makes this an act of raw supression of political speech.

This should surprise no one. If the far left is known for nothing else it's their willingness to use the power of the state in an attempt to control what you say and even what you think. Whether it's running conservative speakers off of college campuses or making it a felony to misgender, it all amounts to the same thing: authoritarianism.

Don't ever let these folks tell you they value real diversity. Their interest literally runs only skin deep.

".....Heart of Texas, a Russian-controlled Facebook group that promoted Texas secession, leaned into an image of the state as a land of guns and barbecue and amassed hundreds of thousands of followers. One of their ads on Facebook announced a noon rally on May 21, 2016 to “Stop Islamification of Texas.”

A separate Russian-sponsored group, United Muslims of America, advertised a “Save Islamic Knowledge” rally for the same place and time.....

.....Burr, the committee's chairman, unveiled the ads at a hearing Wednesday morning and said Russians managed to pit Texans against each other for the bargain price of $200......"

Protected speech. :unsure:

I strongly object to broadcasting untrue information on social media. But I'm glad of this ruling. The govt needs to keep its pea pickin hands out of it.
I am glad you also feel so. I didn't want to be the only left leaning person who has no issue with this ruling.

I think misinformation on social media is a HUGE issue, but this wasn't the way to solve it. Some legislation or regulation is a much better framework; more robust and less susceptible to the whims of any individual government.

We don't need the FBI micromanaging social media. Unprotected/illegal speech is one thing. What they were doing is another.

I am glad you also feel so. I didn't want to be the only left leaning person who has no issue with this ruling.

I think misinformation on social media is a HUGE issue, but this wasn't the way to solve it. Some legislation or regulation is a much better framework; more robust and less susceptible to the whims of any individual government.

We don't need the FBI micromanaging social media. Unprotected/illegal speech is one thing. What they were doing is another.

Maybe a whole agency devoted yo cyber security…. Like this one..

Some clarifying details about what this ruling actually means. NPR so far has the most in depth coverage of what exactly is restricted, how, and what is allowed.
The ruling provides exceptions for the government to inform social media companies about posts involving criminal activity, national security threats, and foreign interference in elections.

There are also a couple of pretty broad exceptions: Exercising "permissible public government speech promoting government policies or views on matters of public concern" is permitted, as is interacting with social media companies about posts that are not protected free speech.
"It was pretty clear on the part of everybody involved in this, that the speech involved was clearly protected by the First Amendment," he says. "It was statements about whether the election was fraudulent or accurate. It was statements about whether vaccines worked or not. And while those things maybe have scientific answers, the unscientific answers are clearly protected speech."

I tend to agree with this sentiment.
MacCarthy says the judge's tone was "a little bit over the top" and "apocalyptic," but the free speech issues involved in the case are real.

"I know it's a matter of the paranoia of the conservative groups that they're being victimized by shadowy agents and the government," he says. "But these are not one-sided partisan issues here. These are issues that everyone should be concerned about."

Back
Top Bottom