• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Judaism Might Become A Nationality??? (Allegedly)

What makes a Native American "Native American?" How are the Sioux different from the Arapaho?

Yet we have law that identifies these tribal groups as both distinct units AND racial identities. They are distinct tribal groupings under the legal heading "Native American."

How then NOT allow this kind of differentiation for Jews?

Hasn't all historical persecution of the Jews as a "people" come down from both the fact that they have always held themselves as a distinct "people," and that Christians held them in disdain as a "people" who crucified Christ?

That idea of "otherness" is a frequent justification of antisemitism. Why should that be codified inro law?

Also, this seems very antithetical to the conservative idea that separating people by national or racial characterisyics is not what to do.

Trump to sign order to interpret Judaism as a nationality - CNNPolitics

So there's a rumor that Judaism might be Executive Ordered into a Nationality.

At the risk of bringing too much politics into this area of DP, I just want to know why and/or how this makes any sense at all?

Is Christianity a nationality?

How does it make sense to turn a religious belief into a nationality? Is that even Constitutional?

Judaism is not a nationality. Israeli is a nationality. Judaism is a religion, a culture, and an ethnicity. But there's no nation called Judea, and there hasn't been one for thousands of years.

Trump to sign order to interpret Judaism as a nationality - CNNPolitics

So there's a rumor that Judaism might be Executive Ordered into a Nationality.

At the risk of bringing too much politics into this area of DP, I just want to know why and/or how this makes any sense at all?

Is Christianity a nationality?

How does it make sense to turn a religious belief into a nationality? Is that even Constitutional?

Why bother with nationalities in the US under our Constitutional form of Government. Our original Constitution and Bill of Rights are both gender and race neutral from Intelligent Design and inception.

The People and the Citizens in particular are what our form of Government should be about, every time it comes up.

Here's what actually is going on, despite the hysterics
The order, first reported by The New York Times, would define discrimination against Jewish students as a form of bias against their shared national identity—Israel—rather than just a form of religious discrimination. Defining Judaism effectively as a form of national identity allows the Education Department to open civil rights investigations into schools that it deems not to be fostering an open climate for Jewish students. Under federal civil rights law, the Education Department doesn’t have the authority to crack down on any direct form of religious discrimination.

Trump to Sign Executive Order Targeting Anti-Semitism on College Campuses - WSJ
Nice try with that "allegedly"

Here's what actually is going on, despite the hysterics

Trump to Sign Executive Order Targeting Anti-Semitism on College Campuses - WSJ
Nice try with that "allegedly"

I used "allegedly" because some people like to get all "faux outraged" over news sources.

Also - the biggest issue with the "alleged" antisemitism seems to be that some people get really angry when people question and/or condemn the political and military actions of Israel.

So there's plenty to be concerned with here on Constitutional levels.

Free speech for one.

I used "allegedly" because some people like to get all "faux outraged" over news sources.

Also - the biggest issue with the "alleged" antisemitism seems to be that some people get really angry when people question and/or condemn the political and military actions of Israel.

So there's plenty to be concerned with here on Constitutional levels.

Free speech for one.

Regardless, I question the misleading headline/title

Regardless, I question the misleading headline/title

:roll:

What's misleading?

It hasn't happened yet. Or it hadn't as of early this morning, and not many news sources had any info on it.

Recognized as American citizens and a member of the Jewish race; much like Black Americans, Native Americans, Hispanic Americans, etc.

BTW, American Jews, like Jews in other nations, hold dual citizenship; both U.S. and Israeli.

Except the United States does not recognize dual citizenship.

I'm still waiting for someone to post some evidence of rampant antisemitism on college campuses in the USofA.

Are there US colleges out there with systemic hatred of Jews as part of their foundation?
And isn't that already a blatant violation of civil rights?

The United States government does not recognize dual citizenship as a thing. It only recognizes United States citizenship.

Sort of true. It is true that the US doesn't recognize it. But there are cases where the US and another country both consider someone a citizen.

My kids are Russian adoptees. The US consudered them citizens of the US. Russian law considered them Russisn citizens until age 18 (which my daughter just reached on April and my son has about 6 months to go). Also, a US citizen can naturalize in another country and still be considered US citizens.

Sort of true. It is true that the US doesn't recognize it. But there are cases where the US and another country both consider someone a citizen.

My kids are Russian adoptees. The US consudered them citizens of the US. Russian law considered them Russisn citizens until age 18 (which my daughter just reached on April and my son has about 6 months to go). Also, a US citizen can naturalize in another country and still be considered US citizens.

Correct, the US only cares about whether someone has US citizenship. If they have citizenship with any other nation, the law ignores that fact.

Trump Signs Order Against Anti-Semitism At Colleges, Worrying Free Speech Advocates : NPR

Some key points:

Anti-Defamation League CEO Jonathan Greenblatt says the order won't define Jewishness as a nationality, but rather includes Jews under the rubric of Title VI.

"we feel it is misguided and harmful for the White House to unilaterally declare a broad range of nonviolent campus criticism of Israel to be anti-Semitic, especially at a time when the prime driver of anti-Semitism in this country is the xenophobic, white nationalist far-right."

He says that because Jews have a different kind of identity,

A different kind of identity??? What?

But he says he share the concerns of those who believe it could be used to infringe on the First Amendment rights of those who would voice controversial political speech about Israel and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

Back
Top Bottom