• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Joel Osteen to uproarious Hurricane victims: Don’t have a ‘victim mentality’[W:110]

Re: Joel Osteen to uproarious Hurricane Harvey victims: Don’t have a ‘victim mentalit

No, he's saying that there was concern that the church might flood and that's why it wasn't used as a shelter, right away.

Edit: I'm saying it. Not Blackdog.

Re: Joel Osteen to uproarious Hurricane Harvey victims: Don’t have a ‘victim mentalit

I am saying it is a red herring as in...

A Red Herring is a fallacy in which an irrelevant topic is presented in order to divert attention from the original issue.

Which was...

Joel Osteen to uproarious Hurricane Harvey victims: Don’t have a ‘victim mentality’ - Hauty

I am sorry I made it to complicated for you to understand.

The only misspelling was TOO (complicated for you?) Very good.

The only misspelling was TOO (complicated for you?) Very good.

So in other words you got nothing but a typo. I understand that.

No, he's saying that there was concern that the church might flood and that's why it wasn't used as a shelter, right away.

Actually, Olsteen is saying a little more than that.

Osteen relied on Biblical lessons in describing his predicament.

"This is not just an attack on me, it's an attack on what we stand for — for faith, for hope, for love," he said. "Jesus even said, 'When the world hates you, remember: it hated me first.' "

He also compared himself to the Bible's David, citing Psalms 35: "I am attacked by people I don't even know," Osteen said. "David, I feel your pain, and you didn't have social media, David."

Joel Osteen explains church's Harvey response in Sunday service - NY Daily News

The good news, attendance was down 90%.

Actually, Olsteen is saying a little more than that.

The good news, attendance was down 90%.

That's good news? Do you know WHY attendence was down 90%? You might want to going ahead and back that comment up, before you get embarressed.

The delusion among the right as to who this charlatan is continues.

I don't see--at all--what "the right" has to do with this.

His sermon was about self-worth and strength and those who believe in The Lord will be strengthened through their faith. "God helps those who help themselves".

How can anyone be outraged by that message?

A Bible believing Christian might be outraged by those that believe "God helps those who help themselves" is a message from the Bible, as it is not.

A Bible believing Christian might be outraged by those that believe "God helps those who help themselves" is a message from the Bible, as it is not.

But did Osteen say this?

Interesting how that video does not reflect the picture in the OP's link. In the video the place wasn't even half filled. Yet the picture shows a completely filled building. Every seat in the place filled. Which one am I to believe?

I guess at the start when she says " I am going to ask the ushers to come at this time. And you know, we just so appreciate your generosity."

Wrong sermon son, the one you posted was on Wednesday, the one in the OP is from Sunday.

Wrong sermon son, the one you posted was on Wednesday, the one in the OP is from Sunday.

Have you ever been to a church where they didn't pass the plate...on any given sermon...on any given day?

I have never made up my mind about this guy but i surely do like what I have seen this last week.

Is his "Prosperity Gospel" message the Alt-Rite?

If he passed the plates at the first sermon since Harvey he'll pass them at every sermon. It's all about the Benjamin's to Osteen.

son

If he passed the plates at the first sermon since Harvey he'll pass them at every sermon. It's all about the Benjamin's to Osteen.

son

That's for sure. People will buy anything. Made him a very, very wealthy man. Would Jesus wear a Rolex? I love that one.

Have you ever been to a church where they didn't pass the plate...on any given sermon...on any given day?

Stay away from organized religion. Religion is man made.

From HuffPo:

“We’re not going to understand everything that happens, but having a ‘poor old me’ mentality or ‘look what I lost’ or ‘why did this happen,’ you know that’s just going to pull you down,” he said in his first sermon at his Lakewood Church since the storm.

Instead, he urged his followers to “turn it over” to God.

“God won’t allow it unless he has a purpose for it,” he said. “We may not see it at the time, but that’s what faith is all about.”

Osteen said having faith will “allow” God to “turn situations around.” Joel Osteen Tells Harvey Survivors Not To Have A ?Victim Mentality? | HuffPost

A great reminder of why I'm glad I'm no longer a Christian. There was a divine purpose for Hurricane Harvey really? Really?? No. It was a product of meteorological and climatological effects. Period.

A great reminder of why I'm glad I'm no longer a Christian. There was a divine purpose for Hurricane Harvey really? Really?? No. It was a product of meteorological and climatological effects. Period.

Yet just a few weeks ago people were at each others throats.

now everyone in the US has come together to help these people, just like in a few days they will pull together
and help the people in FL that is getting ready to be smashed by irma.

The other nonsense is a distant memory right now and there are more important things occurring.

Natural disasters often bring out the best in mankind. And at the same time, they also allow bigots the opportunity to show themselves as who and what they are.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/...-harvey-victims-dont-have-a-victim-mentality/

Couldn't find a better source - but this made me chuckle. A sky being will pay you back for destroying your home, your personal documents, and killing your relatives with a storm. It will pay you back for destroying everything you've worked for allow you to function normally in a society, but not with interest for all of the time you'll spend trying to get your life back in order.

Just donate to Joel Osteen's church and you'll see.

I promise. :mrgreen:

He's the "pray for cash" guy, of course this would be his sermon.

Yet just a few weeks ago people were at each others throats.

now everyone in the US has come together to help these people, just like in a few days they will pull together
and help the people in FL that is getting ready to be smashed by irma.

The other nonsense is a distant memory right now and there are more important things occurring.

Not sure what this has to do with my point that there was no "divine purpose" for Harvey. Or for Irma, for that matter.

I don't see--at all--what "the right" has to do with this.

Funny, posters on the right make blanket statements and you only have a response to me.

This was sent from Putin's computer using Donald's credentials.

Thank you. Your insults proves that I made my point and you have nothing to counter with.

Which part do you feel was insulting you?

That is not what he said

Except that is exactly what is being reported and you've been caught woefully unable to dispute it with anything other than "it's a lie!"

Back
Top Bottom