• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Joel Olsteen, Is it Just about the Money?

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Prosperity Gospel indeed.

According to News Max on March 18, it didn’t take long for folks on the outside to do the math. Based on Osteen’s reported amount of money in this theft, it appears his Lakewood Church takes in an estimated $32 million a year, but some say that is a very low estimate. Calculator keys were punched around the nation taking the $600,000 for Olsteen's weekend donation collection and multiplying this by the 52 weeks in a year.

Many consider this a conservative estimate of donations this church receives, as March is just an average month with no holidays for the church. The spirit of giving around the Christmas holidays has to net this church more than the average week. Then there’s Easter and other holidays, not to mention the weekdays. The amount reported taken from the church was only for their take over a weekend.

Joel Osteen's church theft opens can of worms: Jaws drop as folks do the math - Hartford Pop Culture | Examiner.com

Is this what worship is supposed to be about? Seriously?

I don't know if it's what worship is supposed to be about. To some people? Probably so.
Olsteen is an interesting character to me. I've been keeping an eye on him for years, mostly because someone at work almost always has his show on in the break room on Sunday mornings, or one of my patients will be watching him.
He is pretty typical in some ways, for a TV preacher, and different in others. I've been waiting for the big scandal to hit, as it seems so many TV preachers eventually seem to deal with, but so far, no go. Either he lives up to the reputation that, as a "man of God", he is supposed to live up to, or he has an excellent way of keeping his dark side covered up well so far. Either way, I don't care that he probably makes gazillions of dollars on television. I don't care that he has a huge audience who seems to hang on every word. Judge the man by his actions and his deeds. That tells the story of his life. Judge the man by evidence that he learns and improves himself as a human, when he makes mistakes. So far, Olsteen seems to carry a message of positive changes in the lives of individuals. I think that if religion or God makes your life better, and doesn't turn you into a worse person, then it's okay by me.

edit:
It isn't money that is the root of evil. It's how a person lets money rule his life, or not, that says there is a problem.

download (4).jpg

Just send all yer munny ta JEEEEBUSSSSS ...(but be sure to use mah address.)

As a Christian I think Osteen is one of those "tell them what they want to hear" type of preachers. The stuff he typically says is more "feel good" things and he doesn't really touch on much Biblical truth or things people may be uncomfortable hearing about (sin, judgement, suffering for Christ, persecution, etc).

Based on appearance I would say he's likely in it for the money and he just tells people what he thinks they want to hear in the name of Jesus without delving much deeper or saying things most people wouldn't want to hear. It wouldn't surprise me if he's in it only for the cash. Not to say everything he does is bad, but I question his motives and think as a preacher he is depriving his congregants of other important things in the Bible and only giving them a partial picture of the Bible and God that serves to make people feel better.

What is your point?

Spur discussion; maybe look at putting limits on the tax free status on what is obviously a financial enterprise.

osteen-tweet.jpg

As a Christian I think Osteen is one of those "tell them what they want to hear" type of preachers. The stuff he typically says is more "feel good" things and he doesn't really touch on much Biblical truth or things people may be uncomfortable hearing about (sin, judgement, suffering for Christ, persecution, etc).

Based on appearance I would say he's likely in it for the money and he just tells people what he thinks they want to hear in the name of Jesus without delving much deeper or saying things most people wouldn't want to hear. It wouldn't surprise me if he's in it only for the cash. Not to say everything he does is bad, but I question his motives and think as a preacher he is depriving his congregants of other important things in the Bible and only giving them a partial picture of the Bible and God that serves to make people feel better.

I was raised to believe that persons of God lived simple lives and money which was collected went to the poor. Obviously, I quit buying that part of the story decades ago...but, I really find it hard to digest that a single church can collect $600K in cash on a mundane weekend in mid March. :shock:

Spur discussion; maybe look at putting limits on the tax free status on what is obviously a financial enterprise.

Maybe you should put that in the OP then instead of making one of your fake moral outrage post.

I was raised to believe that persons of God lived simple lives and money which was collected went to the poor. Obviously, I quit buying that part of the story decades ago...but, I really find it hard to digest that a single church can collect $600K in cash on a mundane weekend in mid March. :shock:

They are called Mega Churches for a reason.

Based on appearance I would say he's likely in it for the money and he just tells people what he thinks they want to hear in the name of Jesus without delving much deeper or saying things most people wouldn't want to hear. It wouldn't surprise me if he's in it only for the cash. Not to say everything ayin' you don't trust this 40 million dollar smile?he does is bad, but I question his motives and think as a preacher he is depriving his congregants of other important things in the Bible and only giving them a partial picture of the Bible and God that serves to make people feel better.
Aw come on ... are you sayin' you don't trust this 40 million dollar smile??
images (48).jpg
images (47).jpg

Prosperity Gospel indeed.

Is this what worship is supposed to be about? Seriously?
So, you're mad because his church takes in a lot of tithes and offerings? Is that an accurate deduction?

I think it is for just those reasons that he is so popular..He talks about how everyday people can make their lives better, but doesn't push religion down their throats....

Paul said it best. As long as the word is being spread.
Philippians 1:15-18

15 Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will:

16 The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds:

17 But the other of love, knowing that I am set for the defence of the gospel.

18 What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.

They are called Mega Churches for a reason.

Mega Churches should then make mega donations. I think it's sickening that this man stands up there, in the name of God, and rakes in this kind of money. Every day, 66,000 people go hungry in Houston. Almost 37,000 homeless people live in Houston, and 5,400 of them are children. Yet this guy is worth $40 million dollars, and takes in $600,000 a week in donations. He says God wants him to be rich. I think God might be more concerned about hungry children instead.

From what I've heard from Olsteen is that he doesn't worship money, but does believe that God wants people to be successful and enjoy the fruits of it.

My father was someone who I knew was business savvy and smart enough to be very wealthy, if he had dedicated himself more towards it. And I believe there are many people who could also but they don't because their focus is more on family and enjoying life. It's hard to be family centric, if you're driven to succeed financially, though sometimes it almost falls in some peoples laps.

The thing with wealth is it doesn't make all your problems go away, it just gives you new ones.

Joel Scott Osteen (born March 5, 1963) is an American author, televangelist, and the senior pastor of Lakewood Church in Houston, Texas. His ministry reaches over seven million broadcast media viewers weekly in over 100 nations around the world. - Wikipedia
You have probably seen his handsome face on your television. *It's hard to miss. *Shiny forehead, gleaming eyes, perfect hair, pronounced jaw, smashing smile, and irresistible feel-good Christian message...

But there is a problem... Joel Osteen is a charlatan, a fraud, and a liar. *Men like him have been preaching to widows and desperate people for centuries, it's not a new game. *He is not Christian; in fact, he is Jewish! *And his real name is Joel Alhadef.

If you are involved with Joel Osteen Ministries, or have given money to it, but you did not have the information in this blog post, please be advised that the leader of this organization is a fraud and a phony, and you would do well to divest yourself of all affiliations as soon as possible.

Listed below are the charity registrations in the US, Canada, and the UK. *Kindly spread the word to your loved ones who may have been victimized by this fraudulent organization:

IRS Section 501C3 Organization

Canadian Registered Charity: No. 82605 6368 RR0001

England and Wales. Reg. Co.: 1119836, Charity No. 6135565

This is a photo of Joel Alhadef with his real mother, Anita Alhadef. *Obviously, she also goes by the name of Dolores (Dodie) Pilgrim, a character she plays that is supposed to be Joel Osteen's mother, and was allegedly healed of her cancer. *You can be almost guaranteed to be right if you said that story was totally bogus. *This is the same character that plays Gloria Allred, who is at the centre of many fake media events. *I call her the Queen-pin. *More on her later...

In case you were also interested, here is a link to a new song that Joel Alhadef has composed. *Apparently, he is a budding star in the Jewish entertainment sphere?

FALSE PROPHET ALERT !!

Joel Scott Osteen (born March 5, 1963) is an American author, televangelist, and the senior pastor of Lakewood Church in Houston, Texas. His ministry reaches over seven million broadcast media viewers weekly in over 100 nations around the world. - Wikipedia
You have probably seen his handsome face on your television. *It's hard to miss. *Shiny forehead, gleaming eyes, perfect hair, pronounced jaw, smashing smile, and irresistible feel-good Christian message...

But there is a problem... Joel Osteen is a charlatan, a fraud, and a liar. *Men like him have been preaching to widows and desperate people for centuries, it's not a new game. *He is not Christian; in fact, he is Jewish! *And his real name is Joel Alhadef.

If you are involved with Joel Osteen Ministries, or have given money to it, but you did not have the information in this blog post, please be advised that the leader of this organization is a fraud and a phony, and you would do well to divest yourself of all affiliations as soon as possible.

Listed below are the charity registrations in the US, Canada, and the UK. *Kindly spread the word to your loved ones who may have been victimized by this fraudulent organization:

IRS Section 501C3 Organization

Canadian Registered Charity: No. 82605 6368 RR0001

England and Wales. Reg. Co.: 1119836, Charity No. 6135565

This is a photo of Joel Alhadef with his real mother, Anita Alhadef. *Obviously, she also goes by the name of Dolores (Dodie) Pilgrim, a character she plays that is supposed to be Joel Osteen's mother, and was allegedly healed of her cancer. *You can be almost guaranteed to be right if you said that story was totally bogus. *This is the same character that plays Gloria Allred, who is at the centre of many fake media events. *I call her the Queen-pin. *More on her later...

In case you were also interested, here is a link to a new song that Joel Alhadef has composed. *Apparently, he is a budding star in the Jewish entertainment sphere?

FALSE PROPHET ALERT !!

I don't know if it's what worship is supposed to be about. To some people? Probably so.
Olsteen is an interesting character to me. I've been keeping an eye on him for years, mostly because someone at work almost always has his show on in the break room on Sunday mornings, or one of my patients will be watching him.
He is pretty typical in some ways, for a TV preacher, and different in others. I've been waiting for the big scandal to hit, as it seems so many TV preachers eventually seem to deal with, but so far, no go. Either he lives up to the reputation that, as a "man of God", he is supposed to live up to, or he has an excellent way of keeping his dark side covered up well so far. Either way, I don't care that he probably makes gazillions of dollars on television. I don't care that he has a huge audience who seems to hang on every word. Judge the man by his actions and his deeds. That tells the story of his life. Judge the man by evidence that he learns and improves himself as a human, when he makes mistakes. So far, Olsteen seems to carry a message of positive changes in the lives of individuals. I think that if religion or God makes your life better, and doesn't turn you into a worse person, then it's okay by me.

edit:
It isn't money that is the root of evil. It's how a person lets money rule his life, or not, that says there is a problem.

And whats he does is make millions and millions of dollars by telling people God will make them rich if they give him money

He preaches that people should use their money to help others while living in a multi-million dollar mansion

And he calls himself a christian preacher but what he preaches is antithetical to christianity

Last edited:
And whats he does is make millions and millions of dollars by telling people God will make them rich if they give him money

Does he literally say that?

Does he literally say that?

I didn't quote him. But what he does say is that God will make them rich if they use their money to help other people. Then he asks them for money to help other people

And then he goes home to his multi-million dollar mansion.

And it's not the only home he owns.

I didn't quote him. But what he does say is that God will make them rich if they use their money to help other people. Then he asks them for money to help other people

And then he goes home to his multi-million dollar mansion.

And it's not the only home he owns.

Well, charities ask for money to help other people all the time. They don't say God will make you rich but they do insinuate you'll be blessed.

I don't have a problem with people getting wealthy, unless they're making others suffer for it. If someone post an Ad in the New York Times and says they're homeless and broke, and people send them millions of dollars, I think how lucky. But if they're rich and they say it, then it's crappy.

He doesn't take a salary. He stopped in 2005.

Do some research, people.

So, you're mad because his church takes in a lot of tithes and offerings? Is that an accurate deduction?

I'm suspicious that this church's only purpose is to bring in tithes and offerings.

He doesn't take a salary. He stopped in 2005.

Do some research, people.

Well he says that. :lol:

But then, somebody who got a 13 million dollar advance on his last book probably doesn't need a salary.

And besides, that doesn't even matter. The guy is supposed to be a Christian - a preacher. Why does a preacher need 40 million dollars? He doesn't. Too much of a need in Houston alone for him to justify being that wealthy.

Back
Top Bottom