• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Jeff Sessions Wants Police to Take More Cash from American Citizens

You coddlers of criminals really do make me laugh.

:mrgreen:

you spewed so much bull**** in the dead Australian lady from Minneapolis that was MURDERED by police thread that we understood you are a coddler of police brutality .............

but hey; hows 'bout some fried okra for a consolation prize? ....................

He would change his mind when a house guest stays over with a joint in his luggage and the police takes everything of his

Oh I know I just love the people that think seizing property when someone breaks the law is ok until THEY break whatever law is associated with it.

Oh I know I just love the people that think seizing property when someone breaks the law is ok until THEY break whatever law is associated with it.

I'd worry if I broke the law or associated with anyone who broke the law.

I don't.

Where does that leave your fancy hippy logic and vagina witchcraft?

:mrgreen:

Good to see you again prove that you're irrational.

Why is it the state's business what I do with my body/life?

Like many conservatives, "freedom" just means i'm free to live the way you approve of.

**** you and all of your ilk.

If a cop thinks they're criminals I'd say nail them. Cops usually know. Criminals usually say, "I dindu nuffin."

Do you not see the flaw in your logic here? If they usually get things right, that means they sometimes get things wrong. That means that people will be affected that did nothing wrong.

I don't speed.

That wasn't what I asked. would you be ok with homes being seized from speeders or anyone breaking any law no matter how small you might think?

I have no problem with seizing property or cash once arrested providing it's returned in full in found not guilty or the case doesn't go to trial.

That wasn't what I asked. would you be ok with homes being seized from speeders or anyone breaking any law no matter how small you might think?

Of course not.

I have no problem with seizing property or cash once arrested providing it's returned in full in found not guilty or the case doesn't go to trial.

So jaywalking should get your house taken away? Where are the boundaries that YOU see a house being taken away?

Of course not.

Then what are your boundaries and why do you see that boundary being valid in taking away your home?

Of course not.

So where is the cut off? What level of seriousness does a crime need to be for someone to lose their property on mere suspicion?

So where is the cut off? What level of seriousness does a crime need to be for someone to lose their property on mere suspicion?

Probably a drug dealer......unless we'd just execute them on the spot.

Whatever.

I obey the law.

Thus I fear no cop.

Sock it to the thugs.......please.
Abiding by the law is no defense against forfeiture. You never get a day in court before your property is forfeited. Your possessions are simply confiscated, without your being charged.

This issue is about taking property and money from law abiding citizens just because a cop thinks they might be doing something wrong.
Some people are so "preoccupied" obeying the law that they are incapable or understanding the reality in which they live.

Good to see you again prove that you're irrational.

The only irrational one in here is the guy that has no problem with people's Constitutional rights being stepped over.

Article intro:

(all bolding mine)

I find this last bolded statement startling!

Despite the seemingly hyperbolic article title, I chose this particular article from among many because it goes into depth explaining how the Trump administration is promoting "adoptive forfeiture", in response to the growing number of states that are enacting state legislation which holds state & local law enforcement to higher forfeiture standards than the federal standards.

During the Obama administration, Eric Holder issued a directive in January of 2015 essentially ending these types of seizures, in response to growing complaints by some state legislatures that the "adoptive forfeitures" circumvent state law.

Now the Trump administration is issuing a directive to increase these very types of seizures:

Also from the article, some commentary from an (anti-seizure) attorney:

Source Article: WaPo: Jeff Sessions Wants Police to Take More Cash from American Citizens

Mirror: Independent UK: Jeff Sessions Wants Police to Take More Cash from American Citizens

Asset forfeiture has been out of control for a long time.

On one hand, you might think that maybe criminals shouldn't benefit from criminally obtained money. On the other, they aren't criminals until convicted.

So where to err? Let someone use drug money to hire a great lawyer, or take their assets and stick them with an overworked public defender? Tough question. I'd err on the side of letting them keep their assets until proven guilty. If we're talking 100 million.....well, maybe I might be convinced to cede some of it being frozen. But the way it works is abominable.

It kills me that the standard of proof is so low. It is obscene.

I'd say more, but I've wasted altogether too much time on here today. Will be working the weekend...

Last edited:
Abiding by the law is no defense against forfeiture. You never get a day in court before your property is forfeited. Your possessions are simply confiscated, without your being charged.

It's ****ing bull**** is what it is.

This issue is about taking property and money from law abiding citizens just because a cop thinks they might be doing something wrong.
This is not entirely accurate, though.

The reality is the cop *claims* he suspects you might be doing something wrong. We do not know what a given cop is thinking. We might suspect what the cop's thinking, but we don't know.

Why is it the state's business what I do with my body/life?

Like many conservatives, "freedom" just means i'm free to live the way you approve of.

**** you and all of your ilk.
Well since you were willing to sacrifice a ding for that honest remark I say kudos to you, I feel the same way.

Probably a drug dealer......unless we'd just execute them on the spot.

Whatever.

I don't get your thing with drug dealers. Yes, drug dealers can be dangerous individuals, but the act of selling drugs does not make someone dangerous. I don't get why you're so into the idea of punishing someone for selling a plant.

Back
Top Bottom