• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is your soul in the "cloud"?

RobertU

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Information technology may offer a useful metaphor in examining the question of life after death. If your mind and body is a "computer," perhaps your soul could be a "website" that is stored in a "cloud" outside your physical being.

Conceivably, some people have souls in the "cloud" but in other people, the soul stays in the body and perishes at death. It would be the difference between being "saved" and not being "saved." Or perhaps everyone starts with the soul in the body, but the soul only goes to the "cloud" if the person has some kind of transcendental experience. Thus, if you are preoccupied with the material world and physical pleasures, you will never reach the "cloud."

Conceivably there is no such thing as a soul.

Conceivably there is no such thing as a soul.
That's just your imagination playing tricks with you. I mean, "conceivably" atheists have an argument. But it's all ignis fatuus.
A voracious reader such as yourself will know what that means.

That's just your imagination playing tricks with you. I mean, "conceivably" atheists have an argument. But it's all ignis fatuus.
A voracious reader such as yourself will know what that means.

Yes, the idea of a soul is much like the will-o'-the-wisp.

I am a living soul...

"And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul." Genesis 2:7 KJV

And when I'm dead I will be a dead soul...

"Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die." Ezekiel 18:4 KJV

Yes, the idea of a soul is much like the will-o'-the-wisp.
Well, you learned a new word. Now work on your reading. The point was about atheism. Unless you're back to channeling Paul Reubens.

Well, you learned a new word. Now work on your reading. The point was about atheism. Unless you're back to channeling Paul Reubens.

The point was about illusions. Atheists have no illusions about gods. You can't have an illusion that something is not there.

Everything remains an idea, even your pommes frites and your buddy's rutabaga. Get with it.

No, rutabagas aren't ideas. The only idea involved is the word made up to label them. The rutabaga is a physical thing. As such, it is not merely an idea. So everything is not just an idea. Are you just an idea?

No, rutabagas aren't ideas. The only idea involved is the word made up to label them. The rutabaga is a physical thing. As such, it is not merely an idea. So everything is not just an idea. Are you just an idea?
Everything that exists and everything that does not exist are ideas or they are nothing. This is basic empiricism. Yes Angel is an idea in your mind, just like the rutabaga.

The point was about illusions. Atheists have no illusions about gods. You can't have an illusion that something is not there.
I made the point. I know what point I made. Atheism is based on an argument from ignorance. Atheists believe this fallacy. Therefore, atheism is an ignis fatuus.

Everything that exists and everything that does not exist are ideas or they are nothing. This is basic empiricism. Yes Angel is an idea in your mind, just like the rutabaga.

I'm not an idea. I'm a physical entity we label human being. The rutabaga exists in reality whether or not my brain ever registers one. There are things on the earth and in space that exist that never enter my brain nor do they rely on my brain to exist. We don't think things into reality, we observe them in some way or we don't. Physical reality is not an idea. Where did you get your cats? In your mind? Did you think them into existence? Or did you have to physically welcome them into your home?

I made the point. I know what point I made. Atheism is based on an argument from ignorance. Atheists believe this fallacy. Therefore, atheism is an ignis fatuus.

Atheism is a lack of belief in gods. It is not based on any argument of any kind. Atheism does not even imply any beliefs in anything.

And you can't have an illusion that nothing is there. That is not what an illusion is.

Atheism is a lack of belief in gods. It is not based on any argument of any kind. Atheism does not even imply any beliefs in anything.

And you can't have an illusion that nothing is there. That is not what an illusion is.
Yeah, right. Tell it to the Marines. That bull cocky might fool atheists, but that's all you're fooling with it: yourselves.

I'm not an idea. I'm a physical entity we label human being. The rutabaga exists in reality whether or not my brain ever registers one. There are things on the earth and in space that exist that never enter my brain nor do they rely on my brain to exist. We don't think things into reality, we observe them in some way or we don't. Physical reality is not an idea. Where did you get your cats? In your mind? Did you think them into existence? Or did you have to physically welcome them into your home?
All things material and immaterial, real and unreal, exist as ideas or you couldn't write a sentence about them. Get off it.

All things material and immaterial, real and unreal, exist as ideas or you couldn't write a sentence about them. Get off it.

No they don't exist as ideas, they exist as physical material. We are not composed of ideas, ideas are what occur in our brains. I'm doing fine writing sentences and i am not an idea. Ideas do not write sentences, people do.

No they don't exist as ideas, they exist as physical material. We are not composed of ideas, ideas are what occur in our brains. I'm doing fine writing sentences and i am not an idea. Ideas do not write sentences, people do.
Ideas are in the mind, not the brain. My idea of you is doing fine writing sentences filled with ideas you don't recognize as the ideas they are. You're apparently way over your head here. But you seem unable to resist posting on things you don't understand. So have at it.

Ideas are in the mind, not the brain. My idea of you is doing fine writing sentences filled with ideas you don't recognize as the ideas they are. You're apparently way over your head here. But you seem unable to resist posting on things you don't understand. So have at it.

Ideas are in the brain. Mind is just a word describing the workings of the brain and nervous system. And once again with the ad hominem. My ability to understand your illusions is just fine.

Ideas are in the brain. Mind is just a word describing the workings of the brain and nervous system. And once again with the ad hominem. My ability to understand your illusions is just fine.
I've asked you many times at this point not to bother me with your nonsense, your uninformed cynicism, as I politely called it. You refuse to relent. Bringing in your uninformed physicalism is adding insult to injury. You can't complain of characterizations of your unreasonableness; you've invited them.

Back
Top Bottom