• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Trump's victory forever sullied?

Your OPINION is noted.

And has nothing to do with the post I responded to.

BTW -Don't care how tired you get speaking of things not germain to my post.

It was my post you responded to so...

Well this is my thread and my assertion so you can address my points.

You threw "stained" out there.

My response was fitting.

I don't see the republicans harassing the electors, but I sure do see the whiny azzed liberals doing it.

There is nothing stained about the election other than the liberals tossing chit against the wall to see what finally sticks.

A mandate means he won.

The left is trying to destroy the USA. On the one hand, "the Electoral College is illegitimate. Destroy it!!" On the other, "Electoral College!!! Do your job!! Do not cast your votes for Trump!!!" The EC is NOT a pathway to the popular vote. It is a pathway to the presidency. Period.

What is happening in the US right now is frightening. We should all be very nervous. The Left is attempting a coup...a sudden appropriation of power... a takeover.
Argh! :doh

The Electoral College determines the winner.

The popular vote determines whether the winner won by mandate. And for that, it needs to be an overwhelmingly one-sided win.

You threw "stained" out there.

My response was fitting.

I don't see the republicans harassing the electors, but I sure do see the whiny azzed liberals doing it.

There is nothing stained about the election other than the liberals tossing chit against the wall to see what finally sticks.

I agree. The liberals who are trying to overturn the election results are embarrassing themselves. Do you think Trump has a mandate?

Irrelevant since 86% of the country see his victory as legitimate, as stained as it is.

Absolutely! He is incredibly thin skinned. The moment he realized he lost the popular vote he jumped on any rationalization he could garner. It was the illegals! It was because I wasn't trying to win the popular vote! Etc. Now he repeats the "I won an electoral landslide" line every chance he gets even though it betrays his own insecurity and is something of a lie given he is ranked 46th in electoral college vote for presidential elections.

I think he wants his victory to be a mandate. I think he will convince himself and his supporters he has one. I think he will act on that belief. I think he will get a shellacking for it. I think he will find himself in a similar position as Obama, with watching his achievements being dismantled because he did not care to build bridges.
To the bolded:

Well said! :thumbs:

Most people who don't vote do so because they believe their vote does not count. It is an unfortunate outcome of the electoral college. For example, if you are a Democrat in a traditionally red state then you will assume your vote does not count. Same if you are a Republican in a blue state. Voter turnout tends to be much higher in swing states.

In addition to that, voters may be busy, apathetic, lazy, not understand the process, too impatient with the process, hate all the candidates, or lack the ability to get to a poll. There are a myriad of reasons why people don't vote.

You have narrowed it down to one, they don't mind Trump. Which is a pretty big unsubstantiated assumption given the wide range of other likely options available.

I'm not sure I agree with that. Some certainly and in some elections more than others. Possibly in this case D voters stayed away believing the election was a lock. If true, the MSM shot themselves in the foot and the R voters tried harder.

I believe the chief reason for low turn out is apathy. People just don't care or are too lazy to get up and go vote.

Most people who don't vote do so because they believe their vote does not count. It is an unfortunate outcome of the electoral college. For example, if you are a Democrat in a traditionally red state then you will assume your vote does not count. Same if you are a Republican in a blue state. Voter turnout tends to be much higher in swing states.

In addition to that, voters may be busy, apathetic, lazy, not understand the process, too impatient with the process, hate all the candidates, or lack the ability to get to a poll. There are a myriad of reasons why people don't vote.

You have narrowed it down to one, they don't mind Trump. Which is a pretty big unsubstantiated assumption given the wide range of other likely options available.

When I haven't lived in a swing state, I tended to vote 3rd party, generally libertarian. It was a statement - I know my vote was meaningless and I didn't want to possibly contribute to any sense of "mandate" for the eventual winner.

People don't do things, because they have things to that they prefer doing, will say cost less. It is the way price equivalent values i.e. maximum prices are determined by the opportunity costs methode, when no market prices exist. In this case voting down Trump was worth less than watching tv or going to the office.

This business of being unwilling to accept the results of elections which dont net the result which is wanted is part of the breakdown of civility, and it will be with us for the foreseeable future.

I'm not sure I agree with that. Some certainly and in some elections more than others. Possibly in this case D voters stayed away believing the election was a lock. If true, the MSM shot themselves in the foot and the R voters tried harder.

I believe the chief reason for low turn out is apathy. People just don't care or are too lazy to get up and go vote.

Possibly, but your commitment to your civic duty earns my admiration if you vote and you are a Democrat in Mississippi or a Republican in New York.

Trump is such a radical outsider that any win by him is a mandate.

A mandate for change.

Radical outsider? Are you joking? The Clintons were at Trump’s wedding for crying out loud! How much more insider can you get?

But whatever. We had a candidate for hope and change 8 years ago. He claimed a mandate and pushed through change. Now most of it will be dismantled.

Trump will probably make the same mistake.

Possibly, but your commitment to your civic duty earns my admiration if you vote and you are a Democrat in Mississippi or a Republican in New York.

CT, I've been on the losing side more often than not. I've never failed to vote.

My vote counts. It may not win, or it may not be needed, but it counts.

I may be off topic, but in Presidential elections what matters as much as the Presidential is the down ticket. Democrats lost the down ticket big time. Stay at home voters possibly caused that.

From your own link:

The FBI had stopped short of endorsing the CIA's new assessment that Russia was hoping to boost Trump,

haven't you noticed the 4th estate/5th column, have been suggesting new news, based on old news, as if that old news is new?

Not really. It probably started out as an information gathering mission until they were successful with the DNC.

Moving goal posts. the claim is that russia wanted to help trump, your evidence shows, that they were going after, anyone they could break through.

If you didn't count any of the votes from California then Trump would have won the popular vote by 1.4 million votes. But California is a state, like Texas or Mississippi. The people there are Americans. Nobody contests he won the electoral college and the presidency, but the fact remains most voters did not vote for him.

Missing the point completely. we are a nation of independent states, who have agreed to come under one flag under a representative republic. every single vote in all the states that chose hillary could have 100% for hillary, she still should lose because we are a representative republic, not a mob rule democracy.

As far as electoral college margin, it is ranked 46th in the history of presidential elections.

306-232 that's all I'm looking at. don't matter what it was tho.

We shall see. The pipeline in South Dakota will be his first test. I imagine he will send in the National Guard to secure it from protesters.

you are speculating from the point of the view of the bogey man you created of trump in your mind,

What has obama done about it?

"Trump supporters" are no different than their ideological twins, the leftist supporters of whoever the rat party nominates or has a D next to their name. You should and probably do realize that there is comparatively a handful percentage wise of both. The majority of people that voted for Trump voted against Clinton, just as the majority of Clinton voters voted against Trump. Perhaps we should wait til after he is actually officially 'elected' and inaugurated before we look for excuses to declare him a failure. And if you are ALREADY doing that? Well...you know which group you fit in at least.

I have no doubt that after Trump is sworn in, during the first major international crisis, Trump will prove to you that he is a failure. Every indication there is (Tweets etc) about Trump so far is that he is in way over his head. The reason that so many people are ragging on Trump and his supporters is because there is nothing we can do but wait for trump to be a failure. Its like watching a train wreck.

You and your wet dreams. He has all the Mandat he needs. And 25 percent being enough to win seems more like only few people care. So stop blowing nasty hate and be constructive. I know it's tough on the losers. But sour grapes will only pucker the mouth, which doesn't look dignified.

You hypocrites didn't stop blowing nasty hate and weren't constructive with obama so what goes around comes around. Deal with that.

It seems we haven't had a "legitimate" president since GHWBush. They're all "bastards".

Yes. If he didn't care he wouldn't be tweeting at every comment or stupid thing the media says about him. He's a bona fide narcissist.
I think his tweets are more a sign of immaturity...but I really dont think he cares one way or the other. He got the job...to him I think thats all that matters.

You hypocrites didn't stop blowing nasty hate and weren't constructive with obama so what goes around comes around. Deal with that.

I sincerely doubt you can find anything of hate I might have said about Obama.

I have no doubt that after Trump is sworn in, during the first major international crisis, Trump will prove to you that he is a failure. Every indication there is (Tweets etc) about Trump so far is that he is in way over his head. The reason that so many people are ragging on Trump and his supporters is because there is nothing we can do but wait for trump to be a failure. Its like watching a train wreck.
Seeing as how he is a multi-billionaire with global assets and some 500 worldwide business entities and has been doing this for over 4 decades...your words sound...silly. PERHAPS it will go as you think it will and if/when it does I will gladly join you in the critique.

"Is Trump's victory forever sullied?"

No. But that's what all the leftists want us to believe.

Back
Top Bottom