• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is this taking a smoking ban too far?

• Total voters

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist

Local community colleges bans smoking on their campus. Ok, fine, so far. But, they ban it in ALL instances, regardless of scenario. For example: A person is not even allowed to smoke in their own vehicle with the windows rolled up while driving on a street on a remote part of campus.

Is that reasonable, or is that going too far?

Please note that this thread is NOT about their right or ability to make such rules. If that's you're comment, you can rest easy knowing that we acknowledge and admire your prowess at stating the obvious and the irrelevant. Here's you're pat on the back. This thread is about whether or not the rule is reasonable.

Local community colleges bans smoking on their campus. Ok, fine, so far. But, they ban it in ALL instances, regardless of scenario. For example: A person is not even allowed to smoke in their own vehicle with the windows rolled up while driving on a street on a remote part of campus.

Please note that this thread is NOT about their right or ability to make such rules. If that's you're comment, you can rest easy knowing that we acknowledge and admire your prowess at stating the obvious and the irrelevant. Here's you're pat on the back. This thread is about whether or not the rule is reasonable.

As a non-smoker, I hate being in smoky places or even around people smoking, walking by is disgusting in some level and many times I will hold my breath as I do so. That being said, in general, I have hated smoking bans. Either make tobacco illegal or don't, but forcing bars to be non-smoking I think was a mistake. So of course, I would see this ban as even more egregious than that.

That's going a bit overboard.

As a non-smoker, I hate being in smoky places or even around people smoking, walking by is disgusting in some level and many times I will hold my breath as I do so. That being said, in general, I have hated smoking bans. Either make tobacco illegal or don't, but forcing bars to be non-smoking I think was a mistake. So of course, I would see this ban as even more egregious than that.
You're preaching to the choir. I have never been a smoker*, but at the same time I think we treat smokers very unfairly overall. I'm with you, if all this crap regulation is legally acceptable then just lower the boom of your true agenda and make illegal outright.

I believe that bars (where no minors are allowed) should be allowed to have smoking inside, just make them post a sign by their door saying so, then let the customer make their informed decision.

This example, IMO, is utterly petty and ridiculous. They're in an enclosed environment. Get off the petty micromanaging. I'm sure someone will come along and claim that the second-hand smoke can still affect others, but they're going to have to produce some pretty awesome research and evidence to sway me. It wouldn't be impossible, but it'd be a hard road to go.

*- Tried it in high school for a couple weeks, then thought, "WTF am I doing? This is dumb.", and never tried it again.

Imagine that, instead of smoking, it was certain types of music. I don't like death metal. Wouldn't want someone with a boom box blasting it in the cafeteria while I'm trying to eat. Or at the park while in trying to relax.

But if they're in their car, and no one can hear it...wtf do we care?

I can understand banning smoking in publics places for health reasons. I could even understand banning smoking in dorm rooms (it rots the paint like crazy). But banning altogether is too much. People should be free to inhale any expensive poison because it makes 'em look cool.

I think that's an interesting question. While you are in your car, you are on private property, I think. So if this were challenged in court, it might not survive. As to your specific question, is the rule reasonable? My answer is no.

I think that's an interesting question. While you are in your car, you are on private property, I think. So if this were challenged in court, it might not survive. As to your specific question, is the rule reasonable? My answer is no.

In the case of colleges/universities, many are on state-owned property, so there's that.

But for 20+ years some corporations have banned smoking, including on the property as you drive in. I have no idea whether this has been challenged in court, but if you signed a contract of employment that includes your agreement that no smoking is allowed, I don't think a court will be sympathetic.

Unreasonable. Also incredibly hypocritical. In most cities, there are far more people who die due to car exhaust exposure than because of second-hand smoke. So you can drive the car around campus all day long while it's pumping out fumes from the back, but they're worried about the cigarette that only burns for 5 minutes and isn't even being let outside of the car?

This is another example of the way pariah culture tends to sabotage legitimate attempts at public health. It does make sense to ban smoking from indoor public venues obviously. But driving your 10-mile-to-the-gallon car up the street to the grocery store when you could have walked in 5 minutes is seen as acceptable, while being a smoker is not. The former is the majority, while the latter is the minority -- and often a minority who are relatively poor and have little ability to fight against the stigma other people have of them.

This is just petty people who need someone to spit on to feel better about themselves, not a genuine effort at improving air quality. If they want to improve air quality, they should be looking at ways to reduce car use, not hypocritically berating smokers.

In the case of colleges/universities, many are on state-owned property, so there's that.

But for 20+ years some corporations have banned smoking, including on the property as you drive in. I have no idea whether this has been challenged in court, but if you signed a contract of employment that includes your agreement that no smoking is allowed, I don't think a court will be sympathetic.

But you're getting solely into the ability to impose the rule, and this thread is not about that.

The smoking bans indoors? I 100% agree. I have no problem with any public or private company/organization banning smoking ANYWHERE indoors.

But banning smoking outdoors? That makes no sense. A smoker wants to smoke outdoors? So what? If they want to ban smoking 25 feet or whatever from a building's entrance? That's fine too. But if no one is near and they are smoking? Like in this example? On a remote road by themselves. I see no problem with that. They are only harming themselves.

OH ****! I answered the poll wrong. I read the question in the subject line and said "Yes" because I think it's taking the smoking ban too far.

This is ridiculous and inexcusable. I'll do whatever I want in my property as long as it's legal, and last I checked, smoking is still legal.

Their handbook and any written agreement is an excellent point.

OH ****! I answered the poll wrong. I read the question in the subject line and said "Yes" because I think it's taking the smoking ban too far.

This is ridiculous and inexcusable. I'll do whatever I want in my property as long as it's legal, and last I checked, smoking is still legal.
No worries. I think I might have worded the questions or options awkwardly. :)

You're preaching to the choir. I have never been a smoker*, but at the same time I think we treat smokers very unfairly overall. I'm with you, if all this crap regulation is legally acceptable then just lower the boom of your true agenda and make illegal outright.

I believe that bars (where no minors are allowed) should be allowed to have smoking inside, just make them post a sign by their door saying so, then let the customer make their informed decision.

This example, IMO, is utterly petty and ridiculous. They're in an enclosed environment. Get off the petty micromanaging. I'm sure someone will come along and claim that the second-hand smoke can still affect others, but they're going to have to produce some pretty awesome research and evidence to sway me. It wouldn't be impossible, but it'd be a hard road to go.

*- Tried it in high school for a couple weeks, then thought, "WTF am I doing? This is dumb.", and never tried it again.

I think the science on 2nd hand smoke is clear. There is a link.
As to the OP, smokers are an easy target. As to overreaching, in your car, on their property. They make the rules.
HUD is implementing smoke free housing.
The US plans to ban smoking in public housing ? but will it work? - The Verge

As usual it all goes back to litigation and keeping up appearances. A lot of colleges pride themselves on being special access for the disabled. All it would take is one person with asthma to complain about smokers on campus and there could be a legal suite. I can just hear the arguments.

to me, "ban" says "can't do that" - not "can't do that except"
authorizing smoking in designated areas is not a ban, it's more like a suggestion

Private institutions can have whatever rules they want. The less smoking the better. Want to smoke more that get an education? Go for it...

What reasoning do you have to deem it fine?

Smoking is unhealthy.
Smoking is disgusting.
Smoking is rude.
Smoking should be illegal...

This is not about what you can do on your property but about smoking on a college campus...

Back
Top Bottom