• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is the virus thing overblown? A hoax?

Do u sometimes think the virus is a virtual hoax?

• Yes

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • No

Votes: 101 84.2%
  • You wonder..

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Seems like it

Votes: 6 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No, only morons think this is a hoax.

I've been pretty sick for over a month with covid/pneumonia and it's serious. It could've killed a lot more people but I also believe we've way overreacted in other aspects. Only time will tell if we've handled it too soft or not hard enough. I believe we've done the best we knew how.

Is Covid hysteria a kind of hoax?

Do you know anyone with it? You are pushing garbage every day. You don't know squat about this, grow up.

Totally... 20 million people died from the Spanish Flu... this Covid thing? Not many at all. Hoax.

Are you being sarcastic?

Well anyway.. only half of one percent die..but everyone needs to alter their whole life just bc those w underlying health issues need to stay home...

Sounds rather communist

Please, please, I beg you to stop, just stop perpetuating even the thought that this pandemic should be taken so lightly. This is real and this isn't going anywhere, we're only in the first third of this pandemic and have a long way to go before it begins to fade only because most of us will already have been either infected and died, infected and hospitalized and survived, had it and recovered at home or are just a carrier without symptoms but passing it on to many others.

When it reaches the majority of people in this country, it's going to devastate those people at high risk. Children undergoing chemotherapy for cancer. Obese people with breathing problems and diabetes and circulatory problems. People with chronic illnesses like Lupus and ALS. These people have a certain death sentence if they contract this virus, there's no surviving it for them - zero chance of that.

Do we really want to guess that this is 'nothing', a 'hoax', no reason to wear a mask or maintain social distancing. These are such trivial, minor inconveniences that we can all do in order that thousands of our fellow Americans can get a chance at surviving this. There's no vaccine and no magic pill to take. All we can do is to unify in fighting this virus instead of fighting each other because the virus wins when we do that.

I've been pretty sick for over a month with covid/pneumonia and it's serious. It could've killed a lot more people but I also believe we've way overreacted in other aspects. Only time will tell if we've handled it too soft or not hard enough. I believe we've done the best we knew how.

Pray you get better asap

Where did u get it?

Please, please, I beg you to stop, just stop perpetuating even the thought that this pandemic should be taken so lightly. This is real and this isn't going anywhere, we're only in the first third of this pandemic and have a long way to go before it begins to fade only because most of us will already have been either infected and died, infected and hospitalized and survived, had it and recovered at home or are just a carrier without symptoms but passing it on to many others.

When it reaches the majority of people in this country, it's going to devastate those people at high risk. Children undergoing chemotherapy for cancer. Obese people with breathing problems and diabetes and circulatory problems. People with chronic illnesses like Lupus and ALS. These people have a certain death sentence if they contract this virus, there's no surviving it for them - zero chance of that.

Do we really want to guess that this is 'nothing', a 'hoax', no reason to wear a mask or maintain social distancing. These are such trivial, minor inconveniences that we can all do in order that thousands of our fellow Americans can get a chance at surviving this. There's no vaccine and no magic pill to take. All we can do is to unify in fighting this virus instead of fighting each other because the virus wins when we do that.

Oh my...sounds like Virus Derangement Syndrome

Only those with underlying condition should be encouraged to stay at home..and the paranoid can wear masks...but as long as ppl distance...no need to shut down businesses..or force everyone to wear a mask

Do you honestly believe the whole world is doing some kind of hoax? Someone actually believes these are just actors we see in the hospital lying in ICU.

But we should not be surprised as there are some who think the Sand Hook elementary shooting was all done by actors. They got the teachers, police, medical, and parents in on this big fake.

Only those with underlying condition should be encouraged to stay at home..and the paranoid can wear masks...but as long as ppl distance...no need to shut down businesses..or force everyone to wear a mask

Stop it, you are making trolling posts about a serious disease. Grow up.

Thanks.

It had to be the grocery store or doctor's office.

You may not believe this but...

As u may know Catholics believe Jesus is truly. Physically Present in the Eucharist (consecrated host) which after Mass is placed in a Tabernacle in the church so we can all experience that Presence. I have gone there feeling not so great and came away feeling better. I can't promise anything but maybe u could go visit Jesus.. :)

If having a friend die from Covid-19, or a young neighbor have it and survive, or having 18 elderly people die in a nursing home one mile from my front door, or having my neighbor's granddaughter become very ill with Covid-19 but surviving. After being in one of the hardest hits state in the country in April and now being one of just two states that are reporting a decline in new cases -- if all that translates to you that I have 'virus derangement syndrome' then I sure hope the hell you never have to go through all of that and end up with 'virus derangement syndrome' too and then have some stranger on the internet with a wise mouth start making fun of you.

Do you honestly believe the whole world is doing some kind of hoax? Someone actually believes these are just actors we see in the hospital lying in ICU.

But we should not be surprised as there are some who think the Sand Hook elementary shooting was all done by actors. They got the teachers, police, medical, and parents in on this big fake.

I didn't say Hoax but Virtual hoax...and admittedly maybe that wasn't the proper word, but sometimes u wonder...such things as

Why all the hysteria when only half of one percent die?

When those w health concerns can stay home.

Why should the whole damn country come to an abrupt halt?

The Dems in DC would love to see the economy destroyed. Their own jobs are quite secure..paid, ironically, by we the suckers...

If having a friend die from Covid-19, or a young neighbor have it and survive, or having 18 elderly people die in a nursing home one mile from my front door, or having my neighbor's granddaughter become very ill with Covid-19 but surviving. After being in one of the hardest hits state in the country in April and now being one of just two states that are reporting a decline in new cases -- if all that translates to you that I have 'virus derangement syndrome' then I sure hope the hell you never have to go through all of that and end up with 'virus derangement syndrome' too and then have some stranger on the internet with a wise mouth start making fun of you.

He has no idea, he is just here to troll.

Making fun? I don't see it that way. Sorry u did..

And sorry about what you've been through. Frankly, you are only the 2nd person I've encountered who is or knows someone who had it so u can hardly blame me...

Still, only half of one percent who gets it dies, so I don't know why healthy people should live in terror or the economy be wasted

He has no idea, he is just here to troll.

This isn't even cute or in any way funny anymore and today I heard Dr. Fauci say some things that actually made me feel despondent about all of this. People in my state have been fighting this together. People have signs on their front lawns "We're all in this together" and children have painted small stones with little sayings on it and piled them together in one of our parks along the walking path. 'Hope' 'Together' 'Courage', all kinds of hand-painted uplifting little messages. Then I see what happens here and listen to those people who are still refusing to mask up because it's a political thing, or their eyeglasses fog up, or their face gets too moist. Honest to God it all just obliterates my respect for my fellow Americans, it's just gone and replaced with feelings for others that I just don't want to have inside.

When I watched Dr. Fauci earlier today, his demeanor was different. He looked frustrated but he also looked fearful. He talked about contact tracing and why it's not working out, not at all, for several reasons. Here's what he said about contact tracking;

"A lot of contact tracing is done by phone, some is done by 'feet on the ground', and 50% of the people don't want to talk to anyone from the government. People in areas of 'Latinx', near the border -- they're afraid to give confidential information because they're afraid it'll be used against them. Then if they give you a contact and you don't isolate them, so you've lost them in the shuffle.

When you have community based outbreaks, it creates a a community based spread where 20-40% don't even have symptoms, so the the basic, standard paradigm of identification, testing, contact tracing and isolation doesn't work."

Even the current testing methods are not working. They're considering changing the ways we test by 'pool testing' meaning a bunch of swabs are all tested in a batch, if none are positive, those people are all ruled out. But, if even one swab tests positive, then every swab in the pool must be separated and tested individually.

To me, this all sounds like the CDC and our pandemic task force don't have any idea where to go with this or how to try to fix it. It's all very scary.

Whoa! I'm sure you've had quite a fright. Hope you're feeling better quickly.

This isn't even cute or in any way funny anymore and today I heard Dr. Fauci say some things that actually made me feel despondent about all of this. People in my state have been fighting this together. People have signs on their front lawns "We're all in this together" and children have painted small stones with little sayings on it and piled them together in one of our parks along the walking path. 'Hope' 'Together' 'Courage', all kinds of hand-painted uplifting little messages. Then I see what happens here and listen to those people who are still refusing to mask up because it's a political thing, or their eyeglasses fog up, or their face gets too moist. Honest to God it all just obliterates my respect for my fellow Americans, it's just gone and replaced with feelings for others that I just don't want to have inside.

When I watched Dr. Fauci earlier today, his demeanor was different. He looked frustrated but he also looked fearful. He talked about contact tracing and why it's not working out, not at all, for several reasons. Here's what he said about contact tracking;

"A lot of contact tracing is done by phone, some is done by 'feet on the ground', and 50% of the people don't want to talk to anyone from the government. People in areas of 'Latinx', near the border -- they're afraid to give confidential information because they're afraid it'll be used against them. Then if they give you a contact and you don't isolate them, so you've lost them in the shuffle.

When you have community based outbreaks, it creates a a community based spread where 20-40% don't even have symptoms, so the the basic, standard paradigm of identification, testing, contact tracing and isolation doesn't work."

Even the current testing methods are not working. They're considering changing the ways we test by 'pool testing' meaning a bunch of swabs are all tested in a batch, if none are positive, those people are all ruled out. But, if even one swab tests positive, then every swab in the pool must be separated and tested individually.

To me, this all sounds like the CDC and our task force doesn't have any idea where to go with this or how to try to fix it. It's all very scary.

The OP is just making childish trolling trash threads, shame on him.

I hope he never has to live with this, or wait for a result, or have a loved one with it.

Most ppl get over it before they know they had it...

We can't shut down the whole economy and live in craven fear every time some virus comes along, esp one few...very few die from.

You may not believe this but...

As u may know Catholics believe Jesus is truly. Physically Present in the Eucharist (consecrated host) which after Mass is placed in a Tabernacle in the church so we can all experience that Presence. I have gone there feeling not so great and came away feeling better. I can't promise anything but maybe u could go visit Jesus.. :)

I'm quarantined and can't leave but I'm about ready to pray for a little help. I'm getting kind of scared now. If three rounds of antibiotics, steroids, and inhaler treatments don't work, it's the hospital next.

Making fun? I don't see it that way. Sorry u did..

And sorry about what you've been through. Frankly, you are only the 2nd person I've encountered who is or knows someone who had it so u can hardly blame me...

Still, only half of one percent who gets it dies, so I don't know why healthy people should live in terror or the economy be wasted

COVID-19 alert
Common questions
Is the coronavirus disease more severe than the flu?
COVID-19 causes more severe disease than seasonal influenza.

While many people globally have built up immunity to seasonal flu strains, COVID-19 is a new virus to which no one has immunity. That means more people are susceptible to infection, and some will suffer severe disease.

Globally, about 3.4% of reported COVID-19 cases have died. By comparison, seasonal flu generally kills far fewer than 1% of those infected.

WHO Director-General's opening remarks at the media briefing on COVID-19 - 3 March 2020

I'm adding a note regarding seasonal flu. There are over 60 different coronavirus that gets people sick with the flu, sixty individual types of coronavirus, most of which we have vaccines for. All those sixty flu viruses account for the low percent of deaths annually from the ordinary flu. Covid-19 is not like any one of those 60 flu viruses. There's no vaccine of course, but there's no drugs for it, there's no real treatment for it, and it's lethal compare to any other coronavirus particularly for immune-compromised or for people that are elderly or have co-morbidities such as hypertension, obesity, diabetes, cardio-vascular disease, etc. And there are millions upon millions of such cases.

Back
Top Bottom