• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is the Patriarchy a real thing in today's society?

Is the Patriarchy a thing today or not?

• Total voters
Sexual assault, as it is at my university, is an enormous problem. I agree that alienating men could very well reinforce these sentiments that the program are trying to dissipate. Universities however are under enormous pressure to effectively deal with these occurrences. Which is a behemoth of a task, because those perceptions come from their socialization and how they were raised. How can a higher education facility hope to properly lead someone to re-approach such a sensitive issue?

Frat party sexual assault and partying sexual assault can be a problem. I told my daughters university is about a degree and study though.

Sexual assault, as it is at my university, is an enormous problem. I agree that alienating men could very well reinforce these sentiments that the program are trying to dissipate. Universities however are under enormous pressure to effectively deal with these occurrences. Which is a behemoth of a task, because those perceptions come from their socialization and how they were raised. How can a higher education facility hope to properly lead someone to re-approach such a sensitive issue?

I'm not doubting what you say, but it is also a fact that a lot of college-age women have consensual sex, then decide after the fact that it's rape. This is happening in epidemic proportions across the country. And I'm sorry, but you cannot decide you were raped retroactively. But if you proposed forcing all women in college to take a class telling them to tell the truth, feminists would have a crap.

Show me the anthropological and biological data/research that proves that.

Like women being pregnant... giving birth... breast feeding... mother/child bonding... needing time off work to recover... that kind of stuff?

I see you making these big posts but offering nothing more than your opinion. If you want to start demanding proof why dont you start offering some. M-kay?

Frat party sexual assault and partying sexual assault can be a problem. I told my daughters university is about a degree and study though.

People can and will still do both. There is nothing wrong with socializing and having fun with your friends. Sexual assault is a problem, and they should be able to go out like anybody else and not have to worry about some (pardon my french) asshole taking advantage of them. I know you obviously have the same sentiments towards your daughters, but the way we tell them to be careful almost makes it seem like they are the ones doing something wrong.

Patriarchy is a social system in which males hold primary power and predominate in roles of political leadership, moral authority, social privilege and control of property.

How can anyone look at society and deny that.

People can and will still do both. There is nothing wrong with socializing and having fun with your friends. Sexual assault is a problem, and they should be able to go out like anybody else and not have to worry about some (pardon my french) asshole taking advantage of them. I know you obviously have the same sentiments towards your daughters, but the way we tell them to be careful almost makes it seem like they are the ones doing something wrong.

No, it doesn't. Telling your children how to keep themselves safe doesn't treat them like they are doing anything wrong.

I'm not doubting what you say, but it is also a fact that a lot of college-age women have consensual sex, then decide after the fact that it's rape. This is happening in epidemic proportions across the country. And I'm sorry, but you cannot decide you were raped retroactively. But if you proposed forcing all women in college to take a class telling them to tell the truth, feminists would have a crap.

I won't say that doesn't happen, but the occurrences of instances like that are infinitesimal in comparison to sexual assault of women. They are not equivalent circumstances in their prevalence and is frankly a distraction of an argument. Show me the statistics pointing to this "epidemic" and maybe I'll readjust my thoughts on it.

Poll is incoming. So the question is very simple: is there a system in our society that excludes women from opportunities and positions of power, while men get to make all of the decisions? Or is that not the case at all?

My take is that there isn't any "patriarchy" in today's society. And if there is, they are doing a downright terrible job at keeping women oppressed. Now in other places around the world like Saudi Arabia, there most definitely is a patriarchy, seeing as in those countries women have little to no rights at all.

Yes of course. Just because out-and-out misogynists have been told to shut-up or have been regulated to the dark places on the internet, doesn't mean we are suddenly perfect and in equality dreamland. Statistics speak loudly. The fact that there's an entire cottage industry dedicated to distorting those stats is telling. ("Women *choose* not to go into those fields" ... yeah okay, sure buddy.)

Also patriarchy isn't the result of "comparative" analysis. The lives of women in the Western world do not be better or worse just because women in Saudi Arabia are being denied basic freedoms and rights.

In the States and other developed Western countries it was a very real thing previously, but now I don't really see it anymore.

HRC ran in part on it, and we see how well it resonated! :mrgreen:

Yeah. 40 years ago it was definitely a thing. A single (or divorced) woman would likely have a hard time getting a credit card or a mortgage. Unless she was a nurse or a teacher she probably had a hard time getting a job in the white collar world beyond "administrative assistant". It's definitely different now.

No, it doesn't. Telling your children how to keep themselves safe doesn't treat them like they are doing anything wrong.

When a significant portion of half of our children are harming the other half, and we tell the victimized half to be wary of the others without really addressing it to the harming party we have a discrepancy.

while men get to make all of the decisions?
False premise, a misuse/misunderstanding of the term.

a system of society or government in which men hold the power and women are largely excluded from it.

You took "largely" and turned it into an absolute. I don't believe many here argue that the US has a total ban on women holding positions of power.

But then I would not expect you to create a fair, semantic-gaming-free post or thread.

Putting false fears into them makes them victims waiting to be victimized.

The problem of sexual assault is as worrying as the problem of men being generally blamed for domestic abuse even though we have known for years that women are guilty of almost 40% of domestic abuse assault. Men still get the blame. Judges and cops often arrest or find guilt in men but not women indicating those percentages could be even higher.

When a significant portion of half of our children are harming the other half, and we tell the victimized half to be wary of the others without really addressing it to the harming party we have a discrepancy.

What are we supposed to do towards boys about the problem then? It's not like we are raising our boys to think it is ok to rape someone.

Of course there is not, but the feminists will use every tool they can for as long as they can, truth is not required...so long as enough people believe their clap-trap or cuck men can be bullied into saying that they do in the hopes of getting laid the feminists will keep pushing it.

In the end their overt manipulation and dishonesty will result in negative consequences, much as we are watching the DC ELITE pay the price now for years of lies and incompetence.

What they are doing to men on college campuses will be at the top of the list of the charges against them btw, their willingness to bash men unfairly will not be forgiven.

The feminists won't be forgiven, eh? And will there be "negative consequences"?
What are you and your alt right buddies going to do about it, besides slaying them in your epic dungeons and dragons battles in your mom's basement??

I won't say that doesn't happen, but the occurrences of instances like that are infinitesimal in comparison to sexual assault of women. They are not equivalent circumstances in their prevalence and is frankly a distraction of an argument. Show me the statistics pointing to this "epidemic" and maybe I'll readjust my thoughts on it.

Really? Because upwards of 20% of rapes on campuses are false. And almost all of the high-profile rape cases in the media turn out to be wrong. Now that's not saying that we shouldn't take legitimate reports of rape seriously, but when the feminists are screaming "believe them all" and a lot of them turn out to be total nonsense, that doesn't seem to be the most rational way to handle reports of rape, does it?

What are we supposed to do towards boys about the problem then? It's not like we are raising our boys to think it is ok to rape someone.

“Grab them by the *****. You can do anything.”

Like women being pregnant... giving birth... breast feeding... mother/child bonding... needing time off work to recover... that kind of stuff?

I see you making these big posts but offering nothing more than your opinion. If you want to start demanding proof why dont you start offering some. M-kay?

Sure, you just had to ask.

egalitarianism in tribal societies:

Sex equality can explain the unique social structure of hunter-gatherer bands | Science

Men and Women Hunters and Gatherers

Political Organizationl: Political Levels of Integration

Your turn

The argument is a quarter of all college females are brutally raped with many more sexually assaulted. Why any college grad female would ever let her daughter go baffles me.

No ****. If your daughter has a twenty-five percent chance of getting raped if she goes somewhere why in the hell would you let her there? WTF?

Because you guys don't distinguish between rape as being ****ed behind a dumpster by a guy in a ski mask and as opposed to being pressured into sex by a close friend. The vast majority of rapes are in the second category, not the first. And many people (many of whom are parents) don't seem to see the second as an issue.

Poll is incoming.

So the question is very simple: is there a system in our society that excludes women from oppurtunities and positions of power, while men get to make all of the decisions? Or is that not the case at all?

The truth lies somewhere between these two endpoints.

My take is that there isn't any "patriarchy" in today's society. And if there is, they are doing a downright terrible job at keeping women oppressed. Now in other places around the world like Saudi Arabia, there most definitely is a patriarchy, seeing as in those countries women have little to no rights at all.

Some other women feel this way. Until reality comes knocking.

BTW, it would have been interesting to see a gender breakdown of the poll results.

Putting false fears into them makes them victims waiting to be victimized.

The problem of sexual assault is as worrying as the problem of men being generally blamed for domestic abuse even though we have known for years that women are guilty of almost 40% of domestic abuse assault. Men still get the blame. Judges and cops often arrest or find guilt in men but not women indicating those percentages could be even higher.

From my and many others' perspective that is an aspect of what patriarchy constitutes. People have a preconception of what men and women are capable of and they base decisions on those ideas. I think your example is entirely coherent with what I am saying in regards to the construct, but in the instances of sexual assault on college campuses we do see a clear gender based discrepancy.

It's not something so explicit. Aggression, in this case in relation to sexual activities, isn't something that is addressed very openly or distinctly between children and their respective guardians. This is a problem so clearly something is not happening that should be. Its not as if this is a natural part of life or should ever be considered as such.

In some ways yes. In some ways no. Patriarchy is a form of government. I can't think of any governments that revolve solely around elevating men above women. I would say the GOP meets some aspects of a Patriarchy, but not all of them. I don't think it is an immediate issue so - no, not really. But patriarchal aspects of government still exist in some forms.

If you say a Patriarchy exists absolutely, then you're essentially saying the Rockefeller and Rothschild, Clinton-Bush-Trump Dynasty Patriarchs are the ones who really run things, and then we get into Conspiracy territory.

Back
Top Bottom