• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is having a small business still viable in the USA?

Is having a small business still viable in the USA?

• Yes, if you are independently wealthy otherwise

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe, but only if you have years of savings

• Capitalism has failed. Nationalize all businesses

• Total voters

joko104

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Is having or starting a small private business still viable in the new totalitarian Amerika?

Unprecidented in American history, at any time any mayor, chief executive of county government, or governor can order any business indefinitely out of business, while taking total control of people's personal lives. That's over 20,000 absolute power tyrants when counting all mayors and heads of county government.
When summarily ordered by one of the tens of thousands of totalitarian tyrants to have $0 income indefinitely for weeks, months or years - no clue given as to how long, the business owner(s) still have to pay:
The business loans
All outstanding invoices
Insurance
Property taxes
Maintainance
Utilities
Security
While at the same time having to still pay their personal mortgage/rent, car payments, credit cards, and all personal living expenses. Because of the continuing business debts, their income is far, far less than even $0.

It is not just all personal liberties that the new totalitarian tyrants of Amerika that can be instantly outlawed, but also any and all businesses outlawed without any new laws, legislation, hearing, trial or appeal even possible. At any minute, your business can be decreed to be illegal on the decree of one of 20,000+ totalitarian tryants.

Since it is - for the first time - impossible to know if and when the government will order your business outlawed for weeks, months or years, is having or starting a small business in the USA still even viable?

Or can only billionaires be capitalists in the new totalitarian Amerika of over 20,000 absolute authoritarian tyrants that can instantly and indefinitely order any business outlawed?

Last edited:
Well you have to have a nitch. Big box stores and Amazon dominate the retail market. You can't compete. You have to have a product or service that they can't or don't want to sell.

Sure you can advertise a unique product on Amazon. No doubt that gets your product into a huge market but i bet there are at.least 6.other sellers out.there with the same product

Another path is to offer a service for your local market that is underserved

Just remember if someone sees you doing something and making money they will jump into that market.too.

Retail is evolving. Big boxes are dying. AMAZON type businesses are the future. This virus is going to speed it right along.

Wish we could go back to my youth when mom and pop stores dominated retail. No malls, walmart, lowes, home
Depot, best buy ...... everyone closed up at 5 and went home and ate dinner with their family. Didn't take 2 people working to support a family. A man made enough money to buy a home raise a family and participate in the American dream.

The greedy rich have stole that from us.

Last edited:
I try really hard to shop and support local businesses. Amazon makes it tough to do but if you just work at it a bit, most everything you buy has a set price so shopping locally is usually not going to cost you much at all.

Is having or starting a small private business still viable in the new totalitarian Amerika?

Unprecidented in American history, at any time any mayor, chief executive of county government, or governor can order any business indefinitely out of business, while taking total control of people's personal lives. That's over 20,000 absolute power tyrants when counting all mayors and heads of county government.
When summarily ordered by one of the tens of thousands of totalitarian tyrants to have $0 income indefinitely for weeks, months or years - no clue given as to how long, the business owner(s) still have to pay:
The business loans
All outstanding invoices
Insurance
Property taxes
Maintainance
Utilities
Security
While at the same time having to still pay their personal mortgage/rent, car payments, credit cards, and all personal living expenses. Because of the continuing business debts, their income is far, far less than even $0.

It is not just all personal liberties that the new totalitarian tyrants of Amerika that can be instantly outlawed, but also any and all businesses outlawed without any new laws, legislation, hearing, trial or appeal even possible. At any minute, your business can be decreed to be illegal on the decree of one of 20,000+ totalitarian tryants.

Since it is - for the first time - impossible to know if and when the government will order your business outlawed for weeks, months or years, is having or starting a small business in the USA still even viable?

Or can only billionaires be capitalists in the new totalitarian Amerika of over 20,000 absolute authoritarian tyrants that can instantly and indefinitely order any business outlawed?

Every one of your so called tyrant leaders ordered TEMPORARY shutdowns under authority of a State of Emergency. The goal was to save lives. None of that long rant belongs anywhere but in the CT sub-forum.

What a waste of every ones time.

Every one of your so called tyrant leaders ordered TEMPORARY shutdowns under authority of a State of Emergency. The goal was to save lives. None of that long rant belongs anywhere but in the CT sub-forum.

Your's is one of the stupidest possible messages to declare what HAS and IS happening is a "conspiracy theory." It could not be more possible to post a moronic message than yours.

Well you have to have a nitch. Big box stores and Amazon dominate the retail market. You can't compete. You have to have a product or service that they can't or don't want to sell.

Sure you can advertise a unique product on Amazon. No doubt that gets your product into a huge market but i bet there are at.least 6.other sellers out.there with the same product

Just remember if someone sees you doing something and making money they will jump into that market.too.

Retail is evolving. Big boxes are dying. AMAZON type businesses are the future. This virus is going to speed it right along.

Wish we could go back to my youth when mom and pop stores dominated retail. No malls, walmart, lowes, home
Depot, best buy ...... everyone closed up at 5 and went home and ate dinner with their family. Didn't take 2 people working to support a family. A man made enough money to buy a home raise a family and participate in the American dream.

Dying? They HAVE been KILLED - literally outlawed - by the government. That isn't "dying." That is instant murder.

With the Brown Shirts running around smashing business windows and lighting things ablaze?

Oh... never mind. Those are the Liberals in ANTIFA.

Your's is one of the stupidest possible messages to declare what HAS and IS happening is a "conspiracy theory." It could not be more possible to post a moronic message than yours.

Give him some more time...

Amen to that. Many fond memories of stores that no longer exist. Like everything you wrote. :)

The goal is to transfer wealth and power from the merchant class - the guardians of freedom - to the wealthiest and most powerful men on earth establishing corporate fascism across the world without firing a shot. All it took was buying out the media, press and having control of the Internet - and running a 24/7 bio terrorism campaign every day, week and month.

With this, as example, they could have it ordered that WalMart, Target and Amazon all could have clothing stores as they highest traffic and most likely locations to infect people with covid-19, while literally outlawing small merchant class clothing stores - the least likely to spread covid-19. Because most people are 100% controlled by the media, it proved remarkably easy to do.

Literally not 5% of people on this forum even question that THE MOST CROWDED locations are declared the safest locations - while at the same time otherwise ordering it is illegal for people to even touch each other or be in the same room together. They recognize just how truly ignorant most people really are. The propaganda employees do all your thinking for you, even have total control of your emotions. You worship their propaganda actors of the MSM and agree you exist solely to serve and prove your worth to them.

Vaxxer, accelerationists and shamelessly pro-Trump.

All you need to know before you respond.

Я Баба Яга [emoji328]

Yeah.....the good old days..... when I had to drive all over town to do the family grocery shopping....run by the bank, deposit pay check.... run to the butcher, then the drug store, then the corner grocery store with very little selection and high prices... Then if I was going to do some repairs around the house, off to the lumber yard...the hardware store...then the roofing company....then the plumbing supply house......and of course the electrical supply if the job also required some wiring. Then my wife would load the kids in the car and take them to the clothing store...and if they needed shoes the shoe store. Of course, none of these places had everything you needed, but they could order it. They placed orders twice a month and charged shipping. Sometimes they had a catalog you could look at. Remember though, no returns !! Those were the days all right. Not horrible like now where I can sit there in my underwear and push a button and everything gets delivered that day or the next, huge selection, competitive pricing, free or bulk shipping, and I can return anything for any reason.

Yeah.....the good old days..... when I had to drive all over town to do the family grocery shopping....run by the bank, deposit pay check.... run to the butcher, then the drug store, then the corner grocery store with very little selection and high prices... Then if I was going to do some repairs around the house, off to the lumber yard...the hardware store...then the roofing company....then the plumbing supply house......and of course the electrical supply if the job also required some wiring. Then my wife would load the kids in the car and take them to the clothing store...and if they needed shoes the shoe store. Of course, none of these places had everything you needed, but they could order it. They placed orders twice a month and charged shipping. Sometimes they had a catalog you could look at. Remember though, no returns !! Those were the days all right. Not horrible like now where I can sit there in my underwear and push a button and everything gets delivered that day or the next, huge selection, competitive pricing, free or bulk shipping, and I can return anything for any reason.

Just curious. How old are you?

Two scenarios

You buy from big box retailers or Amazon and the profits go right to the top 1%

Between 1989 and 2018, the top 1 percent increased its total net worth by $21 trillion. The bottom 50 percent actually saw its net worth decrease by $900 billion over the same period.

You buy from local mom and pop businesses and the money is spread widely in the local economy. All those small business owners buy from other local businesses and create jobs in the local economy. So what if it cost a little more than walmart if they are creating quality jobs in the local economy.

Sure it is

Gov is even bailing them out after a self inflected Coronaviris

Natural disasters such as floods, fires and medical emergencies are a part of any business equation. There were great plans made for the government to step in with PPP payments to help keep small business alive during the emergency. Bad management by banks and greed by larger business kept much of that money from getting to the ma and pa small shops that really needed it. Perhaps instead of railing at the government one should be looking at those corporations that leaped into the line to gobble up as much money as they could. Some of the corporations that grabbed money were shamed into giving it back (LA Lakers, Shake Shack) but they unfortunately were just the tip of the iceberg.

Natural disasters such as floods, fires and medical emergencies are a part of any business equation. There were great plans made for the government to step in with PPP payments to help keep small business alive during the emergency. Bad management by banks and greed by larger business kept much of that money from getting to the ma and pa small shops that really needed it. Perhaps instead of railing at the government one should be looking at those corporations that leaped into the line to gobble up as much money as they could. Some of the corporations that grabbed money were shamed into giving it back (LA Lakers, Shake Shack) but they unfortunately were just the tip of the iceberg.

The government is tasked with regulating those corporations. Instead our government is owned by those corporations. Can't really blame corporations. They exist for one reason. To create profits.

The government is tasked with regulating those corporations. Instead our government is owned by those corporations. Can't really blame corporations. They exist for one reason. To create profits.

I can blame them for that anytime I wish. Morality should not be the first victim of business.

I can blame them for that anytime I wish. Morality should not be the first victim of business.

Corporations have no social conscience. They are isolated from the results of their decisions. They are.only accountable to their shareholders. As long as they follow the rules laid down by government they are free to take every advantage offered them.

Another BS poll, just what this site needed.

The business loans
All outstanding invoices
Insurance
Property taxes
Maintainance
Utilities
Security

Other, I guess, since there's no way to simply say yes, minus leading qualifiers.

Sure, it's viable. We just have to print a couple more trillion for the hyper-rich, and it will trickle down to small businesses for the hyper-rich to purchase or drive out of business.

Corporations have no social conscience. They are isolated from the results of their decisions. They are.only accountable to their shareholders. As long as they follow the rules laid down by government they are free to take every advantage offered them.

Why do we allow and accept that?

Because government makes the rules they operate by and the corporations own the government.

It's too easy for some to give up.

Back
Top Bottom