• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Biden Running Out of Gas?

Is Biding Running Out of Gas?

• Biden is Crispy Toast

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Nice and Brown

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Barely singed

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Get the mayo. I want a sandwich

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Zombie Apocalypse

Votes: 9 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Warren and sanders are essentially the same candidate splitting the same demo. If one of them were to drop out, Biden would be behind. Bernie needs to exit stage left.

Hmm, I tend to agree that Warren and Sanders are basically the same candidate. You can probably add Harris to that mix. I don't know who'll be the Democratic nominee, I feel that it won't be Biden. Call it a gut feeling without numbers to back it up. I wouldn't put too much stock in my gut feeling though, it told me the GOP would never nominate an 8 time party switcher either.

Gabbard is about as left/progressive as Sanders/Warren in case that wasn't evident; she just has more of a foreign policy focus.

I disagree Surrealistik, Gabbard is left for sure but not to the levels of bat**** crazy as Sanders and Warren. Right now she has been called into military service for the next two weeks. But hey you don't like Gabbard? What about the former CEO of Starbucks who pretty much said earlier this year he would run as an independent if his party chose some left progressive as an alternative. I don't think the DNC wants to see that happen.

One thing came apparent in the debates. While Sanders wants "the rich" to chip in for his programs, Sneering Elizabeth Warren makes it clear that she despises "the rich" and wants to punish them. It's a subtle but important difference.

Hmm, I tend to agree that Warren and Sanders are basically the same candidate. You can probably add Harris to that mix. I don't know who'll be the Democratic nominee, I feel that it won't be Biden. Call it a gut feeling without numbers to back it up. I wouldn't put too much stock in my gut feeling though, it told me the GOP would never nominate an 8 time party switcher either.

I disagree Surrealistik, Gabbard is left for sure but not to the levels of bat**** crazy as Sanders and Warren. Right now she has been called into military service for the next two weeks. But hey you don't like Gabbard? What about the former CEO of Starbucks who pretty much said earlier this year he would run as an independent if his party chose some left progressive as an alternative. I don't think the DNC wants to see that happen.

Go check our her policies then if you don't believe she's about on par with Bernie and Warren; I don't think it's really a matter of opinion.

Personally I love Gabbard for them.

Obviously her platform isn't identical, but it's close enough.

I don't think Biden will be the nominee either, but I pretty much called Trump from early on. I don't love Booker, but I think he would have the best shot against Trump. Otherwise I am afraid it is going to be 4 more years unless the DNC reels in a new candidate by December or a well-financed moderate independent gets in. If I were a democratic heavyweight, I would be doing everything I could to get someone like Mark Warner into this race.

Go check our her policies then if you don't believe she's about on par with Bernie and Warren; I don't think it's really a matter of opinion.

Personally I love Gabbard for them.

Obviously her platform isn't identical, but it's close enough.

While you did not like my suggestions of Gabbard as an alternative, it really isn't important what candidate the movers and shakers put their millions behind when Biden fizzles. They will all get behind a candidate and it will not be Sanders or Warren.

While you did not like my suggestions of Gabbard as an alternative, it really isn't important what candidate the movers and shakers put their millions behind when Biden fizzles. They will all get behind a candidate and it will not be Sanders or Warren.

To the contrary, I very much like Gabbard because of her policies and I would be happy with her as an alternative.

And yes, I'm sure the megadonors will do (and are doing, at the very least in the case of Sanders; the only candidate with no billionaire donors) whatever they feasibly can to stifle Bernie and Warren, but I'm not so sure they'll succeed this time.

Last edited:
I don't think Biden will ever run out of gas, ;) but if the Democratic Party were to grow a brain, they'd realize Biden is their only gasbag that could possibly beat Trump. Why? Because at heart, Biden is a moderate.

I don't know. I'd be a little worried that after getting elected, he'd still think he was VP, and go to the wrong house.

I don't think Biden will ever run out of gas, ;) but if the Democratic Party were to grow a brain, they'd realize Biden is their only gasbag that could possibly beat Trump. Why? Because at heart, Biden is a moderate.

Biden is a 'classic liberal' who has dedicated his entire life's work 'for the kids.'

To the bolded:

Yep. Biden there is the kind of candidate the Dems need, in order to take down Trump.

But Biden's past his prime, and needs to pass the torch. I think Kamala could easily go toe-to-toe with Trump, but it looks like the Dems don't want her like I do.

As we saw in the 2016 election, it's not going to be as much about policy, as it will be about personal charisma as expressed through public sparring. Honestly, I thought Oprah was the Dem's best bet against Trump. But it was not meant to be, it seems.

White folks don't want another person of color as President as evidenced with the poor performance by Booker and Harris. White folks want another white man so Biden or Sanders it is. My personal favorite is Warren because she actually has policy prescriptions.

Most elderly people have no shortage of gas. Bernie is probably eating boiled cabbage to outpace Joe. That's dedication, right there. Joe.might want to consider pinto beans and kale in response.

Really? Why not just go with Quarter Pounders and Big Macs? Seems to keep Trump's tank full. ;)

Ole Uncle Joe like anyone at his age has limited energy. He has to pace himself wisely to get through the primary which can be very grueling for even younger candidates. That isn't a cut but rather a fact of life.

Uncle Joe has another problem with embellishing his stories for example his involvement in civil rights and constantly making gaffs that make him look incompetent.

But Uncle Joe's biggest threat is ahead coming in September and that is all I will say about it at this time. I believe the party will be in search of a centrist/left candidate that has no ties to the Obama administration by the end of September. Maybe a Gabbard or a Delany because they know they will lose a national election with Sanders, Warren and pretty much most of the candidates in the top 7 at this time because of the far left progressive agenda they have aligned themselves with.

He is only 3 years older than Trump....

Really? Why not just go with Quarter Pounders and Big Macs? Seems to keep Trump's tank full. ;)

I was actually leaning toward a couple of cheap beers, a black bean burrito, and a couple of old, picked eggs as the starting fuel. It's low class bar room fare.

Have you ever noticed that nearly all western revolutions start in pubs?

I see Biden's biggest asset (his "delectability" - currently having high polling numbers) as being his sure downfall. Once Biden loses that to anyone else (like Warren) who also polls ahead of Trump among "independents" then he is done for. The DNC base then has both a progressive and a candidate who beats Trump (based on polling data).

Hypothetical head to head isn't much use this far out. Interesting no doubt. One can put those into the category if the election were held today. What I look at is the favorable/unfavorable views of independents vs the candidates. Especially the very favorable and very unfavorable. Not the somewhat's. The very favorable and very unfavorable are pretty much etched in stone, the somewhat's change constantly. Along with the very's, I keep track of the "It depends."

Biden at the moment among independents has a 10/27 very favorable/very unfavorable, minus 17. 28% are unsure or don't know. Trump 21/42 a minus 21. A very slight advantage to Biden which can improve a lot or go under water more with 28% don't know. Warren, whom you mentioned among independents 13/29 very favorable/very unfavorable with 36% don't know. A minus 16. With a margin of error of plus or minus three points, all three could be tied or Warren and Biden could have a good lead.

What this tells me is at this point in time, independents don't really care much for the choices of Trump vs. Biden and or Warren. Put them all in the category as of now in the same one Hillary vs. Trump was in 2016. We're back to choosing the lesser of two evils or the candidate we least want to lose.

But with such a long time to go, all of this could change immensely.

I don't think Biden will be the nominee either, but I pretty much called Trump from early on. I don't love Booker, but I think he would have the best shot against Trump. Otherwise I am afraid it is going to be 4 more years unless the DNC reels in a new candidate by December or a well-financed moderate independent gets in. If I were a democratic heavyweight, I would be doing everything I could to get someone like Mark Warner into this race.

I always thought the best way to go was with a fresh young face, if that fresh young face is from flyover country, so much the better. Fresh young faces won with Carter, Georgia, Bill Clinton Arkansas, and Obama Illinois. Old tired northeastern political types lost with Dukakis, Massachusetts, Kerry Massachusetts and Hillary, New York.

The Democrats haven't won with a Northeasterner since JFK back in 1960. But that was when the Northeast was Rockefeller, liberal, Republican territory. Now since I'm not a Democrat, whomever they nominate is their business.

1. The Dems are so desperate to oust President Trump that the moderates feel that Vice President Biden is their only choice.

2. Besides, he will no doubt choose a woman of color for Vice President.

a. This means that she will be in line to be the next President.
b. She will be the real power behind the throne.

3. Vice President Biden should really NOT be running. He has not aged well. Regardless of what his supporters say, he is NOT really up to the rigors of the job. Poor old dude.

a. Not to worry: He will actually let his cabinet govern the nation. And his cabinet will be filled with liberals who will be eager to hit the ground running in order to change this nation into the paradise that they envision.

I really don't care about Biden or the DNC political theater revolving around their upcoming primaries, but it's clear Biden has a big problem when he opens his mouth to speak.

Here is what he said yesterday:

“In my generation, when I got out of school, when Bobby Kennedy and Dr. King had been assassinated in the 70s, the late 70s, I got engaged,”

“Up to that time, you remember—none of you women will remember this, but a couple men will remember it, That was the time in the early to late 60s, in the early 60s, the 60s, when it was, ‘Drop out, go to Haight-Ashbury, don’t get engaged, don’t trust anyone over 30.'"

1. Kennedy and King were assassinated in 1968.

2. I don't think the women he wants to vote for him will like him saying "none of you women will remember this, but a couple men will remember it". Sounds kind of misogynistic to me.

Biden has a good lead nationally, up by 14 points over Sanders and 15 over Warren in today's released CNN poll. Here's the RCP averages which includes CNN.

RealClearPolitics - Election 2020 - 2020 Democratic Presidential Nomination

Nationally can give us an indication, but it is in the states that the nomination will be decided. I have always thought Biden led was mostly name recognition along with the fact Joe seems like a safe candidate to beat Trump. At least at this point in time.

Even so, I never thought Biden would win the Democratic nomination. I think Biden is too much the moderate and old fashioned Democrat who actually could work with Republicans to get things accomplished. I highly doubt that is what the progressive wing of the Democratic Party wants. It's the hard core progressives that flock to the polls during the primaries and caucuses. I think once the primaries get started, Biden fads into retirement.

Dont really know about that. Will depend on who comes out to vote in primaries. If a lot of young show up it could end up being someone else. If its mostly seniors then its possible Biden makes it. Also, lets not forget that many states have open primaries and there could be a lot of indies and non Trump republicans that could come out and support Biden as the moderate alternative to Trump. That could really skew things a lot and would be under reported. I do think Biden is problematic though as many know him as VP and he definitely has lost a step or two with his flubbing. He always had gaffes but now he does seem to have memory issues. There is an entire year left of campaigning and debates if he is the nominee. Thats a very long time for someone his age. Lastly, Warren and Sanders combined beats Biden. Progressives definitely have the energy but can they secure a primary with so many elderly and blacks that are more moderate in the democratic party?

Warren and sanders are essentially the same candidate splitting the same demo. If one of them were to drop out, Biden would be behind. Bernie needs to exit stage left.

Bernie is never going to leave. He is in it to the end. In fact I can actually see him making the argument that Warren is the one that needs to drop out since MA has a GOP governor. He would argue the risks are too high to leave that senate seat up for grabs.

Ole Uncle Joe like anyone at his age has limited energy. He has to pace himself wisely to get through the primary which can be very grueling for even younger candidates. That isn't a cut but rather a fact of life.

Uncle Joe has another problem with embellishing his stories for example his involvement in civil rights and constantly making gaffs that make him look incompetent.

But Uncle Joe's biggest threat is ahead coming in September and that is all I will say about it at this time. I believe the party will be in search of a centrist/left candidate that has no ties to the Obama administration by the end of September. Maybe a Gabbard or a Delany because they know they will lose a national election with Sanders, Warren and pretty much most of the candidates in the top 7 at this time because of the far left progressive agenda they have aligned themselves with.

Never understood why Klobuchar wasnt taken more seriously? She has a moderate lane with progressive leanings and represents the rust belt.

Thats the thing right there, thus far there are no big third parties or indies running yet making the news. A Howard Schultz go if Biden stumbles would be enough to give Trump a second term. Imagine if Bill Weld VPed on that ticket? First bipartisan independent ticket would cause huge damage in 2020.

Back
Top Bottom