• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is being Transgender a mental disorder?

Is being Transgender a mental disorder?

• Total voters
you already can do so, look at before/after of michael jackson

if it doesn't harm others, i don't see why you think you can impose these "should be able to" limitations

Michael Jackson is African American. He appeared caucasian but could not legally change his race to caucasian.

Why are you trying to compare unalike things?

Just because you say you a female, does not mean you are a female. Gender is determined at the time of conception.

Why are you so upset about something that others do that does not affect you in any way? It is almost as if your issues are the problem, not other people...

The Transgender issue does affect everyone. When someone born a man, who know claims themselves as a woman is going into the Girls bathroom, should young girls be subjected to a transgender? How about showering?

False equivalencies, but nice try!

Nope. Gender cannot be changed just because someone says so or have surgery. Just like a black person cannot change his/her race or a human can change his/her age. Life doesn't work like that.

Not if your aim is to have any meaningful discussion of the trans experience

Technically, transgender is the just the new word for transsexual, but less accurate. Transgender implies supporting societal gender roles.

Technically, transgender is the just the new word for transsexual, but less accurate. Transgender implies supporting societal gender roles.

Technically anus is just another word for butthole

Technically anus is just another word for butthole

...Yes...that's true, but that doesn't change the reality that the term was changed and the term that's now being used basically reinforces societal gender roles. People who are transgender/sexual aren't all, "I'm cool with my body but I want to do more things like staying at home, raising kids, and baking cookies." No, they are, "I don't feel like I have the right sex for my body."

Gender has only recently been used as a separate thing from sex in around the 60s and it was initially used to for feminist purposes and to highlight how society treated women.

Michael Jackson is African American. He appeared caucasian but could not legally change his race to caucasian.

Just because you say you a female, does not mean you are a female. Gender is determined at the time of conception.

The Transgender issue does affect everyone. When someone born a man, who know claims themselves as a woman is going into the Girls bathroom, should young girls be subjected to a transgender? How about showering?

Nope. Gender cannot be changed just because someone says so or have surgery. Just like a black person cannot change his/her race or a human can change his/her age. Life doesn't work like that.

This is an excellent display of your ignorance and intolerance.

When I want to pee in the ladies room I enter a stall, exit, wash my hands and re-apply lip stick or brush my hair and leave.

Pretty normal behavior in the Ladies Room.

The difficulty with this question is that many people are unfamiliar with the personal side of the issue. I am lucky enough to have a close family relation who is transgender. As the protagonist in the film Transamerica said, "Don't you find it odd that plastic surgery can cure a mental disorder? "

This is an excellent display of your ignorance and intolerance.

I live my truth. Transgender people are not living their biological truth. If you are born a male, you are born a male. If you are born a female, you are born a female.

I believe in facts.

I live my truth. Transgender people are not living their biological truth. If you are born a male, you are born a male. If you are born a female, you are born a female.

I believe in facts.

What you believe in is The STATE.

And some folks are just born stupid. That's a fact I can believe in.

The difficulty with this question is that many people are unfamiliar with the personal side of the issue. I am lucky enough to have a close family relation who is transgender. As the protagonist in the film Transamerica said, "Don't you find it odd that plastic surgery can cure a mental disorder? "

Actually no and that is the real problem with mental illness, that cures are believed to be long and difficult. No one is shocked that surgery can fix a physical problem why would they be shocked that it could fix a mental one? If someone breaks their arm once the cast is off they are seen as healthy by everyone but once you have been labeled with a mental illness you are seen as irreparably broken.

Your comment was dumb and then you suggested that I have a problem when quite clearly I'm not the problem in the situation. If you're so upset about me being rude then maybe you shouldn't have been rude to me.

Of course you're the problem. You are being rude to the other person... and then you are upset that you are being accused of being rude. There is a solution to this problem. When you return, let's see if you can figure out what that solution is.

Actually no and that is the real problem with mental illness, that cures are believed to be long and difficult. No one is shocked that surgery can fix a physical problem why would they be shocked that it could fix a mental one? If someone breaks their arm once the cast is off they are seen as healthy by everyone but once you have been labeled with a mental illness you are seen as irreparably broken.

Perhaps you missed the movie. The line was sarcastic. People should not judge her until they've walked a mile in her heels.

I believe in facts.

You are ignorant of facts. Transsexuality is caused by an inconsistency between the brain and the body in regards to gender. During the 2nd trimester, a hormonal surge of testosterone occurs in the brain of males. In some rare cases, it does not occur and in some rare cases it occurs in females. The result is someone who is transsexual. The brain has been programmed towards the gender opposite of what the anatomy is. Research has told us that there are parts of the brain that resemble the opposite gender to the individual's anatomy. So, your definition of "biological truth" is incomplete and uneducated on this matter. You have now learned some very basic information on this topic. Make a note of it so you don't make these kinds of errors again.

Oh, and to your OP... no, it is not a mental disorder. GDD, which often affects transsexuals IS a mental disorder, but transitioning nearly always cures it.

Perhaps you missed the movie. The line was sarcastic. People should not judge her until they've walked a mile in her heels.

I have volunteered my time with those with mental disorders. I know this man who believes ghosts are trying to rape him.

Do I encourage his behavior? Of course not. The man needs help and is better after taking medicine. I don't need to walk in heels to realize the trans community needs help. Mutilating their bodies may not be the best solution.

Technically, Transgender is an umbrella term for a loose community of people with gender related 'issues'. Transsexuals are people that often times choose to be under the Transgender umbrella and sometimes do not depending upon how they see themselves in their communities. Not all transgender people are transsexual.

I believe in facts.

You are entitled to 'your truth', you are not entitled to have it taken seriously.

The standard you just laid out there for gender is one that I would be amazed to find that you were actually living your whole life by.

If you live life so black and white then you must be a very lonely person, unless of course your 'my truth' only applies to stuff you personally find icky.

Technically, Transgender is an umbrella term for a loose community of people with gender related 'issues'. Transsexuals are people that often times choose to be under the Transgender umbrella and sometimes do not depending upon how they see themselves in their communities. Not all transgender people are transsexual.

There are other terms used for people with other forms of "gender" related issues. Transgender is specific to those who believe they have the wrong sex for a body. The closest umbrella term I've heard is gender queer.

You are ignorant of facts. Transsexuality is caused by an inconsistency between the brain and the body in regards to gender. During the 2nd trimester, a hormonal surge of testosterone occurs in the brain of males. In some rare cases, it does not occur and in some rare cases it occurs in females. The result is someone who is transsexual. The brain has been programmed towards the gender opposite of what the anatomy is. Research has told us that there are parts of the brain that resemble the opposite gender to the individual's anatomy. So, your definition of "biological truth" is incomplete and uneducated on this matter. You have now learned some very basic information on this topic. Make a note of it so you don't make these kinds of errors again.

Oh, and to your OP... no, it is not a mental disorder. GDD, which often affects transsexuals IS a mental disorder, but transitioning nearly always cures it.

I sense that we are going to be playing whackamole with this meme for at least another 20 years until people grow up about it like they have with homosexuality.

Still, it's fun watching you destroy the arguments with clinical facts.

There are other terms used for people with other forms of "gender" related issues. Transgender is specific to those who believe they have the wrong sex for a body. The closest umbrella term I've heard is gender queer.

Then you need to go and do some research. You are simply wrong.

I have volunteered my time with those with mental disorders. I know this man who believes ghosts are trying to rape him.

Do I encourage his behavior? Of course not. The man needs help and is better after taking medicine. I don't need to walk in heels to realize the trans community needs help. Mutilating their bodies may not be the best solution.

I am a trained mental health professional, practicing psychotherapist for 20+ years. One of my specialty areas is working with transsexuals who suffer from GDD. That trumps anything you have.

Actually, that's inaccurate. Transgender is the umbrella term. Transsexual is specific and a subset under transgender.

I sense that we are going to be playing whackamole with this meme for at least another 20 years until people grow up about it like they have with homosexuality.

Still, it's fun watching you destroy the arguments with clinical facts.

It is tiresome, sometimes. I don't really mind educating people. What I do mind is educating those who don't want to be educated and RE-educating those who refuse to be educated.

Actually, that's inaccurate. Transgender is the umbrella term. Transsexual is specific and a subset under transgender.

Just to add, there are some 'radical' transsexuals that disassociate themselves from what would be considered the 'transgender community' for several reasons, I understand why but I think that they are wrong to do so.

Back
Top Bottom