• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Inside the AP: Fear, Determination

The death of the First Amendment, indeed, of the entire Bill Of Rights and rest of the US Constitution has been a decidedly bipartisan effort. Russ Feingold was the only Senator to vote against the unpatriot act. All his 'esteemed colleagues' voted for it, its various extensions, the abolition of Habeas Corpus, immunity for telecoms as seen in FISA II, etc etc etc.

Bipartisan effort.

Heya HD. :2wave: Well now Barone is saying just that with this IRS and AP scandals.....that it casts a Chill on Free Speech.

Chilling effect. That's the term lawyers and judges use to describe the result of government actions that deter people from exercising their right of free speech.

The acting director of the IRS was told about this activity in May 2012, and the chief counsel and deputy secretary of the Treasury Department were informed in June 2012.

Did they pass the information along to Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner? Did he tell the president? Did the president ever ask?.....snip~

IRS and AP Scandals Cast a Big Chill on Free Speech - Michael Barone - Page 1

if you're still trying to defend this mafioso administration...

well, doesn't it get lonely?

"Right now, we’ve sort of been struck by the fact that nobody’s explained why you needed such a broad subpoena, why so many people’s records were subpoenaed,” former White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said on "Morning Joe" today. “I know it’s difficult in the middle of an investigation, but I think, quite frankly, it’s something that’s sort of largely owed to the American people."

Gibbs: Obama Administration Must Explain AP Investigation To The American People | RealClearPolitics

There are some who believe that all this is the fault of "the right" when the truth is that the Obama Admin is now hoist by its own petard.

It is absolutely the political right's fault the Obama Justice Department ignored the Constitution and failed to follow the law they're charged with enforcing.

The Justice's subpoena was perfectly legal.

Just another lame GOP attempt to make a molehill out of a mountain

The Justice's subpoena was perfectly legal.

Just another lame GOP attempt to make a molehill out of a mountain
I don't speak for the GOP. No, according to Justice's own review of the procedure, even the proposed subpoena didn't go through the required procedure. The subpoena itself is legal, but let's not parse words here. Justice broke several laws, and talking about the subpoena a Judge issued based on the information supplied to the Judge by Justice in no way excuses the Justice Dept, or Eric Holder - who doesn't know anything - from that truth.

I don't speak for the GOP. No, according to Justice's own review of the procedure, even the proposed subpoena didn't go through the required procedure. The subpoena itself is legal, but let's not parse words here. Justice broke several laws, and talking about the subpoena a Judge issued based on the information supplied to the Judge by Justice in no way excuses the Justice Dept, or Eric Holder - who doesn't know anything - from that truth.

Again, the subpoena was perfectly legal.

If the GOP wants to raise Holy Hell because the DoJ didn't "follow procedure" I say "Bring 'em on!" ":lamo

But you know as well as I do that the issue isn't procedural.

Again, the subpoena was perfectly legal.

If the GOP wants to raise Holy Hell because the DoJ didn't "follow procedure" I say "Bring 'em on!" ":lamo

But you know as well as I do that the issue isn't procedural.
And again, you're making no point in that assertion. I have no idea what the GOP intends to do, but I have read about what AP is contemplating.

Back
Top Bottom