• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Influenza A/H1N1

Can we compare the CV19 and Influenza A/H1N1 crisis?

• Total voters

Lovebug

Be humble and kind
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Is there any comparison? Since this will get political, and many will call it a whataboutism, who again was VP during that time?

The 2009 flu pandemic in the United States was a novel strain of the Influenza A/H1N1 virus, commonly referred to as "swine flu", that began in the spring of 2009. The virus had spread to the US from an outbreak in Mexico.[SUP][116][/SUP]
As of mid-March 2010, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimated that about 59 million Americans contracted the H1N1 virus, 265,000 were hospitalized as a result, and 12,000 died.[

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_flu_pandemic_in_the_United_States

Edit, bad wording on my part. Should read are the...and the ...comparable. Sorry

No.

This current crisis is being dealt with much better than the previous crisis.

Is there any comparison? Since this will get political, and many will call it a whataboutism, who again was VP during that time?

2009 flu pandemic in the United States - Wikipedia

Edit, bad wording on my part. Should read are the...and the ...comparable. Sorry

So we're three-four months in. Those stats cover about a year.

Time will tell. It's gonna get much worse in numbers. It's out and we have no idea near where or how many already.

I wish we had gone with "Well, this is gonna suck for a few months. But a little inconvenience now will be better than playing catch-up later."

No.

How so? Specifics, please...I don't recall the President who dealt with the former crisis referring to said virus as a 'hoax.' Do you ?

No.

Your gonna need a source for that fat one.

No.

You only get one spot in my sig. I don't have room for more, despite how hard you are trying to double up. :2wave:

2019-2020 U.S. Flu Season: Preliminary Burden Estimates | CDC

Up to 52,000 people have died in the U.S. from the flu since October 2019. The coronavirus, by comparison, has seen the vast majority of its infections and fatalities in China.

We can compare it to H1N1 ("swine flu") in terms of the overblown hysteria that negatively impacted the stock market, and made people rush out to get a vaccine that did not have enough human clinical trials behind it.

I can't believe how much the mass media is doubling down on the fear, so much so that now ground level institutions are all issuing advisories. The FUD is real.

This looks very similar to me. A potentially serious virus that is deadly to a small segment of the populace. The worse case scenario is pushed by some in the media and the lemmings flip out.

2019-2020 U.S. Flu Season: Preliminary Burden Estimates | CDC

Up to 52,000 people have died in the U.S. from the flu since October 2019. The coronavirus, by comparison, has seen the vast majority of its infections and fatalities in China.

We can compare it to H1N1 ("swine flu") in terms of the overblown hysteria that negatively impacted the stock market, and made people rush out to get a vaccine that did not have enough human clinical trials behind it.

I can't believe how much the mass media is doubling down on the fear, so much so that now ground level institutions are all issuing advisories. The FUD is real.

This mentality right here is why these diseases are so hard to contain. Thousands will die all because people like you don't take it seriously. The irony is that people not taking it seriously and allowing it to spread due to ignorance and being hard headed will kill more Americans than all the illegals who crimes you people cry so much about. It will kill more people than the gang bangers in Chicago you people care so much about. Senseless deaths that can be avoided by following precaution. It is you people that are going to cost Trump the election because even now as he is trying to take steps (too late but anything is better than nothing) you people are still pretending it is nothing. Trump will suffer the consequences of your actions. As will thousands of Americans who suffer needlessly when many of these infections could have been avoided.

This mentality right here is why these diseases are so hard to contain. Thousands will die all because people like you don't take it seriously. The irony is that people not taking it seriously and allowing it to spread due to ignorance and being hard headed will kill more Americans than all the illegals who crimes you people cry so much about. It will kill more people than the gang bangers in Chicago you people care so much about. Senseless deaths that can be avoided by following precaution. It is you people that are going to cost Trump the election because even now as he is trying to take steps (too late but anything is better than nothing) you people are still pretending it is nothing. Trump will suffer the consequences of your actions. As will thousands of Americans who suffer needlessly when many of these infections could have been avoided.

Mass hysteria vs listening to the experts and being prepared.

The fatality rate is what separates this from H1N1. They are still gathering information, and not every case of COVID19 will be diagnosed so we'll never really know the exact number, but it seems it will be over 1% and some estimates have been up to 3%. That is a scare number if the virus spreads to the same number of people in the US or worldwide. Comparitively the H1N1 strain had a mortality rate of .01-.08%. If those rates hold and infections spreads the same or worse we'd be looking at somewhere between 500,000 - 2 million deaths in the US, more if it spreads further.

Listening to experts is what people should be doing. That is not happening. Some people are hoarding, others are price gouging but there isn't any mass hysteria happening at this point.

Why are they hoarding if not for mass hysteria?

Why are they hoarding if not for mass hysteria?

Maybe you should LISTEN to the first sentence of Kreton's post. Then you will clearly see that that answer has already been supplied to you. :)

But you're going to keep playing the "la la la can't hear you" game, and thus you will not hear that answer.

Prove me wrong with your actions. I dare you.

How so? Specifics, please...I don't recall the President who dealt with the former crisis referring to said virus as a 'hoax.' Do you ?

Neither did the President who is dealing with the current crisis.

And the current President didn't wait until a million American became infected before starting to deal with his crisis, either.

Neither did the President who is dealing with the current crisis.

And the current President didn't wait until a million American became infected before starting to deal with his crisis, either.

You don't know how many Americans have been actually infected with the virus because Trump was more concerned with playing golf than acquiring test kits to protect Americans....which is 'supposed' to be his #1 duty as POTUS. Please try harder to fail less.

You don't know how many Americans have been actually infected with the virus because Trump was more concerned with playing golf than acquiring test kits to protect Americans....which is 'supposed' to be his #1 duty as POTUS. Please try harder to fail less.

Obama had test kits for six months and he did nothing for six months.

We have millions of test kits. They are being used. Trump has been taking steps to contain this virus as much as possible for three of the past four months we've known about it.

It's not a fail to tell the truth. It's a fail to believe the media.

Obama had test kits for six months and he did nothing for six months.

We have millions of test kits. They are being used. Trump has been taking steps to contain this virus as much as possible for three of the past four months we've known about it.

It's not a fail to tell the truth. It's a fail to believe the media.

Prove Obama had test kits for six months and he did nothing for six months, or have that positive claim summarily dismissed due to inability to meet burden of proof. If you didn't get that 'info' from the media, how did you acquire that info you claim to be factual truth ? And prove Trump has done what you claim also with verifiable links, or have that claim dismissed also for the same reason.

Last edited:

I don't think there's a comparison. My kids' school just closed for at least 6 weeks. In my entire life I don't remember anything like that happening. This **** is real, Love and it doesn't care about political affiliation.

It would help if we had adults in charge, federally, but our State execs are picking up the slack, fortunately.

I'm going to encourage my teenage kids to pitch in and help with child care for parents of younger kids who can't take time off from work.

My mom and I caught the H1N1 flu, which resulted in severe, severe bacterial pneumonia. It damn near killed me. I think COV-19 is similar in that people's symptoms will vary quite a bit. The current reaction is based on excessive coverage, global/social media connectivity, fear, and the reality that this disease is probably a little worse overall. Many people who've caught the COV-19 are reporting high fevers which I've never done well with.

It is more comparable to the AIDS epidemic in the 80's

Disagree.

HIV/Aids is not near as contagious and didn't cause schools to close and people to be quarantined on cruise ships.

Oh the melodrama. Somewhere the world's tiniest violin is playing.

Honestly, what is going to spread this disease in the USA is lack of affordable health care, which is an election platform that Trump was AGAINST. I have friends in NYC, one of whom works in an ER there, and she said the Department of Health is only testing people who meet admission criteria to the hospital. This means most people who have it aren't even getting tested.

Do you understand? Our health care system is a mess. It's fragmented by privatization and non-uniform policy. Trump himself downplayed the seriousness of the disease at the outset because he was trying to preserve the economy; or have you forgotten that he himself said the #1 measure of the health of the U.S. is its economy? Well, the stock market is tanking now. Kudos.

The virus WILL spread and there's nothing we can do about it now. It's on our shores, and we lack the health care infrastructure to really prevent the spread. Millions of infected people without health care are not going to go to hospitals, or they will when it's already too late.

Do you understand yet??

It's not critical thinkers who spread disease. It's bad government. Did you even bother to read the links I posted? I'm assuming not.

No. We've never banned travel to Europe, cancelled the NCAA, NBA and NHL before. I'd say that alone adds up to $2B in lost revenue for the month of March.

The numbers of those infected don't reflect the actual number of those infected. And, this ain't no seasonal flu. It's a pandemic virus that won't go away soon.

Back
Top Bottom