• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

In Need of Military Advice

Mr. Invisible

A Man Without A Country
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
So, unfortunately I am being dismissed from Army Officer Candidate School for failing the land navigation portion twice. (I knew what I was doing the second time around, but my head lamp broke on the re-test day, which really screwed me over.) However, my Reserve unit is willing to begin the process to let me go active duty.

What I am looking for is two things: 1) Usually how long does it take for one to move from Reserve to Active duty status? and 2) What kind of job should I choose? Personally I want infantry or cav scout, however, I heard that if I chose infantry, I would have to do basic training all over again. Is that true?

Thoughts?

So, unfortunately I am being dismissed from Army Officer Candidate School for failing the land navigation portion twice. (I knew what I was doing the second time around, but my head lamp broke on the re-test day, which really screwed me over.) However, my Reserve unit is willing to begin the process to let me go active duty.

What I am looking for is two things: 1) Usually how long does it take for one to move from Reserve to Active duty status? and 2) What kind of job should I choose? Personally I want infantry or cav scout, however, I heard that if I chose infantry, I would have to do basic training all over again. Is that true?

Thoughts?

You should consider speaking with a USMC recruiter about officer training if you haven't already!

marine.JPG

Thoughts?

Can't offer any advice on US military recruitment but I've followed your progress, sad to read you're not going further in the officer corps.

~ What kind of job should I choose? ~

I stepped away from officer training because I had little faith in the officer corps except for a couple of elite units and I have no regrets from being a grunt. Land navigation is hard - some pick it up easily but others are lucky to have gone to schools where orienteering is offered to the young kids. Personally, I loved it but it can also cause problems when you know better than your officer where you're supposed to be going...

All the best for your future, I hope things work out for you.

Can't offer any advice on US military recruitment but I've followed your progress, sad to read you're not going further in the officer corps.

I stepped away from officer training because I had little faith in the officer corps except for a couple of elite units and I have no regrets from being a grunt. Land navigation is hard - some pick it up easily but others are lucky to have gone to schools where orienteering is offered to the young kids. Personally, I loved it but it can also cause problems when you know better than your officer where you're supposed to be going...

All the best for your future, I hope things work out for you.

Thanks! I really appreciate it.

They were the first ones I went to and when I mentioned that I had flat feet, they showed me the door.

Huh, back in my day the Army showed 'flat feet' the door as well. Especially if you're wanting to be a grunt.

The Army always need grunts so no problem getting a spot. Dunno about doing basic again but AIT will sure seem like redoing Basic. I never carried so much so far for so long in Basic as i routinely did in AIT. Plan on spending a great deal of time outside no matter the weather. Weekends off will be very few and far between. They need to harden you guys up for a more rigorous life than indoor office work.

But that was back in the Steel Pot days.

When it comes to the bad light ruining your land nav, the Infantry will teach you to carry spares of crap you really need (n ways to ditch the crap you don't)

Second to None Futher Mucker!!! :peace

Thoughts?

It's been a while since I was in the service.

But if I recall correctly, as long as you've already successfully completed the standard Army basic training course for your Reserve unit, then you should not have to repeat it.

You will have to successfully complete the Advanced Individual Training for whichever military Specialty you sign up for.

Still, talk to the recruiter to get the most up to date info.

When I retired from the Army a few years ago I thought they were in the process of combining BCT and AIT into one single school for the 11B MOS. If that was finalized I could see how it would be hard to be exempted from basic if you go 11B.

And when I transferred from the National Guard to active duty it took about 4 months. But that was back in the 90s.

When I retired from the Army a few years ago I thought they were in the process of combining BCT and AIT into one single school for the 11B MOS. If that was finalized I could see how it would be hard to be exempted from basic if you go 11B.

And when I transferred from the National Guard to active duty it took about 4 months. But that was back in the 90s.

Yeah, they have OSUT here for basic. If I can't do 11B then I will go 19D.

Thoughts?

On infantry it depends on if you did full basic or the quick one. The extended basic is also infantry ait, if you did not do extended basic you need to do the extended course, not the entire basic over again, they do the same for airborne too(atleast my brother had to before airborne school even though he was not an infantry mos)

For cav scout I believe you need the extended basic as well, not 100% sure but I believe it applies to all combat arms mos. As far as transition times between guard and active duty, it can vary wildly. It depends on how much the army demands you be there now in contradiction to how fast the guard files paperwork.

We had one guy there a little over a month before transferring, and another guy almost a year. The guy who took almost a year though I believe the guard unit was intentionally fudging the paperwork to delay it, since he was licensed on almost everything in the motorpool(why are officer candidates licensed on bulldozers and forklifts?) so he could keep working for them as long as possible.

edit- oh lamp head broke? I just remember national guard night time land nav course for medics, they only got a red lense light and were searched for even cell phones. I was a spotter to ensure using nighvision no one was cheating, also to rescue someone if they got attacked by lets day wild boars.

Last edited:

They did combine them, they have now normal and extended bct. Standard bct all mos use, while extended is an extra 4 or so week for combat arms mos.

Huh, back in my day the Army showed 'flat feet' the door as well. Especially if you're wanting to be a grunt.

The Army always need grunts so no problem getting a spot. Dunno about doing basic again but AIT will sure seem like redoing Basic. I never carried so much so far for so long in Basic as i routinely did in AIT. Plan on spending a great deal of time outside no matter the weather. Weekends off will be very few and far between. They need to harden you guys up for a more rigorous life than indoor office work.

But that was back in the Steel Pot days.

When it comes to the bad light ruining your land nav, the Infantry will teach you to carry spares of crap you really need (n ways to ditch the crap you don't)

Second to None Futher Mucker!!! :peace

I joined in 08, when they were still handing out massive bonuses, and I could not get infantry, despite my gt score qualifying me for almost every mos in the army, they were full up, so was every mos except mechanic and cook.

As far as few weekends off, it depends on the infantry unit, some run nonstop field excercises. Many I had seen though ran the field 24/7 and cycled troops in and out, like 3 weeks field training, then one week off where the only thing they do is pt, then back to 3 weeks on. Others would do every other week, like one solid week, then 2-3 days off then rest of normal week at work, then next week back on.

Infantry training schedules are very dependant on the unit, brigade, battalion, company, the comander, how big a crap he took that day etc.

Thoughts?

Join the Coast Guard.

Can not offer any specifics about your situation but just keep pushing forward.
A new door will open for you. Stay positive!

Take a look at Awesome Motivation

Awesome motivation.

Join the Coast Guard.

This is actually great advice. Instead of hiking up and down mountains and freezing my n**s off, I could have been riding around in helicopters and boats chasing drug runners.

Coast Guard is fun stuff.

Thanks! I appreciate it. Apparently my Reserve unit is going to release me without any hassle :)

Hell no! :p

Great news you are on your way to a new challenge! Do the best that you can.
And thanks for serving our nation!

This is actually great advice. Instead of hiking up and down mountains and freezing my n**s off, I could have been riding around in helicopters and boats chasing drug runners.

Coast Guard is fun stuff.

Nah. For me it was always Army or Marines. Never gave the CG, Navy, or AF a thought at all.

Thoughts?

Sorry to hear about that man. Sometimes that little **** will really screw you over. I heard a tale about one NCO who nearly finished the Air Assault course only to fail it because on the final ruck, he was missing a pair of socks.

I have a SPC in my last unit in Korea who was reserve and went active, I understand it varies a bit from unit to unit but she said the process took her about three months.

And yes, infantry BCT and AIT are merged into one OSUT. Personally, I'd say 11 bang bang over a cav scout, cause cav scouts are annoying as ****, but do what you want to man. I can't say a whole lot because I'm signals and not combat arms, but either way best of luck.

Sorry to hear about that man. Sometimes that little **** will really screw you over. I heard a tale about one NCO who nearly finished the Air Assault course only to fail it because on the final ruck, he was missing a pair of socks.

I have a SPC in my last unit in Korea who was reserve and went active, I understand it varies a bit from unit to unit but she said the process took her about three months.

And yes, infantry BCT and AIT are merged into one OSUT. Personally, I'd say 11 bang bang over a cav scout, cause cav scouts are annoying as ****, but do what you want to man. I can't say a whole lot because I'm signals and not combat arms, but either way best of luck.

Thanks man. I am leaning toward cav scouts as I really don't want to have to do basic all over again. However, I will see if they can waive it.

Also, I have a question regarding signals: Is there a way I can be an RTO and hang out with the infantry?

Thanks man. I am leaning toward cav scouts as I really don't want to have to do basic all over again. However, I will see if they can waive it.

Also, I have a question regarding signals: Is there a way I can be an RTO and hang out with the infantry?

Most infantry platoons will have one of their guys trained how to operate a radio, but he'll still be an 11B.

If you want to go a signal MOS but at least be in a combat arms unit, I'd recommend 25U, B, or C. They're more likely to be sent to a maneuver unit than other guys like me, a Sierra, or Quebecs and Novembers.

Most infantry platoons will have one of their guys trained how to operate a radio, but he'll still be an 11B.

If you want to go a signal MOS but at least be in a combat arms unit, I'd recommend 25U, B, or C. They're more likely to be sent to a maneuver unit than other guys like me, a Sierra, or Quebecs and Novembers.

OK. Thanks for the info.

Looks like 19D it is. :p

OK. Thanks for the info.

Looks like 19D it is. :p

cav-scout-army-cav-military-funny-1364607156.jpg

Obligatory.

Thanks! I appreciate it. Apparently my Reserve unit is going to release me without any hassle :)

Hell no! :p

You don't sleep in the mud. You learn to perform a real world mission, that you'll actually perform. All that soldier'n bull**** is fine, when you're twenty-something, but you have to think about when you're thirty-something, or forty-something. The Coast Guard is something you can still be doing at forty-something. There aren't many forty-something cav scouts, or grunts out there in the field. Even if you don't plan on making it a career, those few years of punishment will remind you all those good times, years later.

I was an infantryman for 13 years and I can attest that that life only gets harder as you get older and I can also attest to the physical punishment that I'm paying for, now that I'm almost 50.

Here's the best part, unlike the Army, Navy and the Air Force, the Coast Guard academy doesn't require a congressional appointment. If you have the SAT score, you're in.

You oughta research it, anyway. **** being a bullet stopper.

Back
Top Bottom