• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

IMPORTANT: A message for those who support 3rd party candidates

That's the spirit... Make sure that any compliment is accomapanied with a genorous portion of distain... :lamo

I'm just funnin ya... Good post.

I do try and come through for you, Admit it, you missed me when I was gone and could not criticize your posts.

I was just joking around, and attempting to do so at my own expense... That's what the green guy was for.

Yah, I know. Hence the :mrgreen: at the end of mine. ;)

I do try and come through for you, Admit it, you missed me when I was gone and could not criticize your posts.

I didn't realize it until you said something... That explains why that persistant feeling that I was being followed that dogged me on this forum for so long, had faded away... :lamo

Welcome back

Predictable. I however want everyone to vote and vote how they wish. I want Romney voters out in force voting for Romney just as much as supporters for Obama, Stein, Johnson, Anderson and Goode.

What's kind of funny in the difference between you and I is that you go very well with your parties philosophy of voter suppression tactics instead of for a better democracy.

yeah... You've chosen the right party for you. Perfect fit.

You just said "I however want everyone to vote and vote how they wish" except you want them to vote for Obama. You have supported Obama to the extent of doing everything you can to discredit Romney. I on the other hand make no excuses and want everyone to vote for Romney including you. We can't stand another four yrs of Obamafailure, are you with us? I didn't think so.

I didn't realize it until you said something... That explains why that persistant feeling that I was being followed that dogged me on this forum for so long, had faded away... :lamo

Welcome back

That feeling was just random paranoia tho~

Seriously, I have better things to do with my time than follow you around.

Electoral college needs to go. Media needs to cover all candidates. And while we're at it, throw in world peace.

We could also eliminate the House being divided into single-member districts and instead go to a statewide party proportional system. That way, we could get rid of both gerrymandering and the two-party hold in Congress.

This problem would be eliminated if you introduced instant runoff voting. It's not thats scary. You vote 1 the candidiate you like the most and number downwards to your least liked candidate. During counting there is then a series of rounds until a majority is reached, in the successive rounds candidates with lowest vote and thier vote is redistributed to whom you put down as your second option. If you only want to vote for one candidate then you just put a 1 and that's it. You can't deny that Nader spoilt the vote for Gore. IRV doesn't solve the two party centric, but I don't think even getting rid of the electoral college.

We could also eliminate the House being divided into single-member districts and instead go to a statewide party proportional system. That way, we could get rid of both gerrymandering and the two-party hold in Congress.

Ya, you and I have touched on this before. I'd be on board as long as we still had a strong presidential authority.

Ya, you and I have touched on this before. I'd be on board as long as we still had a strong presidential authority.

Well, with a totally separate Congress and Presidency, the President would be quite strong, since Congress would be divided among a number of political parties but the President and his Cabinet could be of only one party.

In fact, it may even strengthen the Presidency too much compared to Congress.

Well, with a totally separate Congress and Presidency, the President would be quite strong, since Congress would be divided among a number of political parties but the President and his Cabinet could be of only one party.

In fact, it may even strengthen the Presidency too much compared to Congress.

It would require restructuring of the government. However, on principals, I agree with you. Unfortunately, it would never come about short of revolution.

Sam, don't you have enough of a problem with gridlock with only two parties in the house? Whenever someone mentions proportional representations, I can't but quote Basil Fawlty and think 'this is how Nazi Germany started.'

First, it's pains me to say this, but it's the unfortunate reality of politics in America... Barring the winner of the next election dying before being sworn in, the absolute reality is, that on inauguration day this January there are only 2 possible outcomes.. Either Barack Obama will be sworn in for a second term as President of the United States, or Mitt Romney will be sworn in and become America's 45th President. That's it folks... There is nothing anyone can say or do to change that reality... NOTHING.

On election day, I know from experience that there is nothing more righteous, or more honorable, than going to the polls and casting a vote of principal and conscience, for the candidate you truly believe in your heart, is the best and most qualified person to be President of the United States. I admire those who stand by their principals by voting for the person they truly believe in. It's a noble thing to do.

Unfortunately though, for a small but growing segment of Americans that do this in support of a 3rd party candidate, it comes at a cost. In doing so, a person surrenders their influence and effectively has no say in who will lead the country. In reality, it means that their votes truly won't count, and their efforts end up contributing absolutely nothing to the process of electing a president. Understandably, that's a price they are more than willing to pay for standing by their convictions and beliefs, but there's another very important cost that I hope you all will give serious consideration to before you vote... It's what it could cost the country and every single one of us, if the wrong person wins the election.

In a perfect world, a person should always cast their vote for the person they feel is best for the job without exception... But the world, including this country, are far from perfect and given how close we find ourselves to the edge of that ever looming financial cliff that we're currently on, it wouldn't take many steps in the wrong direction for us to go over the edge. I truly believe for the first time in my life, that a real potential exists, that the American economy could collapse due to mistakes, errors in judgment, or incorrect actions possibly taken by our president in the coming 4 years.

Understand, I'm not saying this will happen, nor do I believe it's likely to happen, I just believe that the possibility of the economy tanking due to presidential mis-steps now exists, which for me raises the importance of who we elect. If you believe as I do, that the country is in trouble, and how the economy is handled over the next 4 years is of great importance, I strongly urge you to take part in deciding which candidate would serve the country's best interests, by casting a vote that's capable of effecting the outcome of the coming election.

Even if you can't stand Barack Obama or Mitt Romney and believe that electing either would be a disaster, for the sake of the country, I hope you will hold your nose and cast your vote for the one you believe to be the better choice of the two... Because casting a vote for anyone else, is no different than if you had just stayed home, and this election is far to important to do that.

There's a lot riding on this election, so I really hope that those of you who had planned to vote for a 3rd party candidate, would please reconsider that decision... There's just too much to lose here.

Thanks.

No way. This is what is completely wrong with our system as it is. We shouldn't have to be limited to the two parties.

We should have some kind of system that is more fair to third party candidates. It's not their fault that the Rep and Dem candidates have tons of money available to them, UNLIKE the third party candidates. How can they be expected to compete?

The only votes wasted are by those who do not vote.

Those voting 3rd party may not have a prayer in getting their guy elected but who are we to say because of this they should vote Romney or Obama.....if one of those guys are unable to win without the 3rd party voters then they don't deserve the win.

One of the most despicable things I have ever seen in american politics was the treatment of Ralph Nader in 04

Yeah, but if America is failing, don't you think we should take a good, hard look at the two political parties who got us here?

My bad... didn't end my post with "/sarcasm"

You just said "I however want everyone to vote and vote how they wish" except you want them to vote for Obama.

No I don't. I think they should vote their heart and not their fears whomever that may be. I would never have the arrogance to say "you should vote for this person" or the arrogance to say, "Only these two candidates should be considered by you". EVERY candidate should be considered.

You have supported Obama to the extent of doing everything you can to discredit Romney. I on the other hand make no excuses and want everyone to vote for Romney including you. We can't stand another four yrs of Obamafailure, are you with us? I didn't think so.

Romney has discredited himself. There's pretty much not a policy that you support him for that I can't find him being on the exact opposite end somewhere along the political way. You go ahead and put all your faith in Mr. Flip-floppity. I support you doing what your heart tells you to. I don't begrudge you that at all. But when election day comes to pass, you best believe that I'm going to come calling on you for your ridiculous prediction of how romney will in fact win.

First, it's pains me to say this, but it's the unfortunate reality of politics in America... Barring the winner of the next election dying before being sworn in, the absolute reality is, that on inauguration day this January there are only 2 possible outcomes.. Either Barack Obama will be sworn in for a second term as President of the United States, or Mitt Romney will be sworn in and become America's 45th President. That's it folks... There is nothing anyone can say or do to change that reality... NOTHING.

On election day, I know from experience that there is nothing more righteous, or more honorable, than going to the polls and casting a vote of principal and conscience, for the candidate you truly believe in your heart, is the best and most qualified person to be President of the United States. I admire those who stand by their principals by voting for the person they truly believe in. It's a noble thing to do.

Unfortunately though, for a small but growing segment of Americans that do this in support of a 3rd party candidate, it comes at a cost. In doing so, a person surrenders their influence and effectively has no say in who will lead the country. In reality, it means that their votes truly won't count, and their efforts end up contributing absolutely nothing to the process of electing a president. Understandably, that's a price they are more than willing to pay for standing by their convictions and beliefs, but there's another very important cost that I hope you all will give serious consideration to before you vote... It's what it could cost the country and every single one of us, if the wrong person wins the election.

In a perfect world, a person should always cast their vote for the person they feel is best for the job without exception... But the world, including this country, are far from perfect and given how close we find ourselves to the edge of that ever looming financial cliff that we're currently on, it wouldn't take many steps in the wrong direction for us to go over the edge. I truly believe for the first time in my life, that a real potential exists, that the American economy could collapse due to mistakes, errors in judgment, or incorrect actions possibly taken by our president in the coming 4 years.

Understand, I'm not saying this will happen, nor do I believe it's likely to happen, I just believe that the possibility of the economy tanking due to presidential mis-steps now exists, which for me raises the importance of who we elect. If you believe as I do, that the country is in trouble, and how the economy is handled over the next 4 years is of great importance, I strongly urge you to take part in deciding which candidate would serve the country's best interests, by casting a vote that's capable of effecting the outcome of the coming election.

Even if you can't stand Barack Obama or Mitt Romney and believe that electing either would be a disaster, for the sake of the country, I hope you will hold your nose and cast your vote for the one you believe to be the better choice of the two... Because casting a vote for anyone else, is no different than if you had just stayed home, and this election is far to important to do that.

There's a lot riding on this election, so I really hope that those of you who had planned to vote for a 3rd party candidate, would please reconsider that decision... There's just too much to lose here.

Thanks.
If as far a person can see is only to the end of their nose (read: this election), and no further, then yes, absolutely go ahead and pro-actively endorse the status quo.

On the other hand, if you have more vision than that, know that your vote this election is not exclusively about this year's election, you might want to consider your options. It is as much about the future as anything else. Bottom line: a vote for the status quo today is a vote for the status quo in 2016 and beyond.

Ask yourself: Are you really satisfied with the status quo?

If as far a person can see is only to the end of their nose (read: this election), and no further, then yes, absolutely go ahead and pro-actively endorse the status quo.

On the other hand, if you have more vision than that, know that your vote this election is not exclusively about this year's election, you might want to consider your options. It is as much about the future as anything else. Bottom line: a vote for the status quo today is a vote for the status quo in 2016 and beyond.

What's amazing to me is that EVERY 4 years without fail candidates will say "This is the most important election of your life" and it blows me away that partisans eat it up so much that they are absolutely positive that because their lemming leader said it is the most important election of their lifetime, that the sky will most definitely fall right after the election if they don't get their way. Fear rules these voters and by proxy our country.

People need to grow a pair when they enter the booth instead of being such cowards.

a die hard conservative would lose because all the independents would not turn out in his favor.

purists are worthless these days. you all want more kagans on the supreme court
I am not asking for a die hard conservative.I want someone who is actually a conservative and means what he says. Not someone who decided to do a 180 with everything he believes in order to run for president. People in Ohio might like dirty liberal republicans, but in many other states a liberal republican would have to switch his party affiliation to democrat in order to run.

Last edited:

I don't think he realizes that every time he votes for a lousy republican then that is what the republican party going to prop up each presidential election.

Thanks.

Sorry I won't vote for two dirt wipes.

If that makes me a party-pooper then so be it.

I'll always vote with my conscience and stick to my principals. I'd rather vote for something I want and not get it, than vote for something I don't want and get it.

I am not asking for a die hard conservative.I want someone who is actually a conservative and means what he says. Not someone who decided to do a 180 with everything he believes in order to run for president. People in Ohio might like dirty liberal republicans, but in many other states a liberal republican would have to switch his party affiliation to democrat in order to run.

Opinion noted not shared. Romney was as or more conservative than any of the other contenders on what really counts-the economy. Santorum was a social fascist and economic lefty. Newt is a pimp and its hard to fathom a guy who has had as many wives as he has had being seen as a real social conservative in his actions-why the bible thumpers were even considering him is a puzzle. Perry was a duffs.

Thanks.

Yeah....ummm... go suck an egg.

I will vote for the person I believe is best qualified to represent my views and what I think is best for the country and the world.

How dare you try to tell people how to vote, or who not to vote for.

Voting for a person you do not like, or even hate, is by far the worst hypocrisy going. It's a lie, and that's truly a "wasted vote".

This chicken-little shy is falling sh!t people scream about is pathetic and childish.

To suggest one man can destroy a country is just utter nonsense. We have a checks and balances government with three branches.

If this country is doomed for complete failure it won't be because of one man, it will be because of the entire political system.

By voting for Dem or Rep you're voting for the entire system and therefore supporting the very thing which might destroy the country.

So choke on that for a while.

Back
Top Bottom