• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How to reduce health care prices 80% in 2 easy steps:

James972

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
1) have people shop with their own money or vouchers and keep what they don't spend
2) have providers compete on basis of price and quality

Regulate Prices .. like Milk :lamo

no idea what you mean?? Can to tell us??

Regulate Prices ... Come On ... why should an Asprin chost 10x more in the Hospital?

If that’s the case, I should be able to bring my own.

I had a friend who was in intensive care for 3 days, if he didn’t have Insurance he said he may as well have Died.

Regulate Prices ... Come On ... why should an Asprin chost 10x more in the Hospital?

If that’s the case, I should be able to bring my own.

I had a friend who was in intensive care for 3 days, if he didn’t have Insurance he said he may has well as Died.

You do realize that milk prices are regulated to cost more not less right?

who wants to regulate prices???????????

1) have people shop with their own money or vouchers and keep what they don't spend

We're having a sale on heart valve replacements!

We should copy a system that already works in some other country rather than experiment.

We should copy a system that already works in some other country rather than experiment.

people shop with their own money all the time its not an experiment!!!!!!!!!!!

suppliers compete on basis of price and quality all the time. Its not an experiment!!!!!!!!

deregulation works extremely well on 99% of products

I think healthcare might be in that 1% though. The majority of healthcare costs are from emergency/hospital care and your aren't always in a position to comp shop when you need a hospital not to mention there are plenty of areas where there is no viable alternative choice. Even if you can get a better deal on deregulated insurance its still the hospitals that are the problem.

You do realize that milk prices are regulated to cost more not less right?

And that is so that in good times dairy farmers make money and in bad times they don't go under. So we continue to have milk. Also aside from some small dairy associations, who produce higher quality milk, such as Clover Stornetta in Ca, the great majority of milk production and marketing is controlled by the producers association.

We're having a sale on heart valve replacements!

Define "works" some of the other countries are better for the poor people but not as good for the middle class. All you hear about in those countries is complaints about the standard of care, the complaint in the US is about price. Should we sacrifice quality for cost and coverage by copying other countries or should we strive to do better and achieve both?

people shop with their own money all the time its not an experiment!!!!!!!!!!!

suppliers compete on basis of price and quality all the time. Its not an experiment!!!!!!!!

Are you aware that healthcare corporations have bought up or own most of the providers in many markets? There may not be a choice. Well, you may chose between 25 doctors, but they are all under the umbrella of the corporation. Here, it is Southeast Georgia Health. If you want to go to a hospital outside of them or get an MRI be prepared to drive 40 or 50 miles. And there will only be one choice in that town. There are reasons that healthcare costs are higher and the outcomes poorer in rural Georgia than in the North bay of the San Francisco area. One is that you don't have a choice. You can't shop what doesn't exist.
Luckily, we can afford to go 110 miles to Jacksonville and the Mayo Clinic for the important stuff.

Hm. This has only worked in pretty much every industry and market it has been tried - what makes you think it will work in healthcare?

Here's the problem with trying to apply Remedial Economics 099 to health care: It doesn't fit such simplistic thinking.

Health care isn't a free market in the way you and I normally think of it. Normal markets have the basic fundamental forces of choice, competition, and a reasonably informed consumer. When it comes to televisions, I have choices. Samsung competes with Sony and LG. There are different sizes and qualities and features. Better yet, I can make a decision regarding those features because they are something I am qualified to assess. (because it's all a personal, subjective measurement anyway) Also, I don't need to buy a television. These are "entertainment dollars" I'm spending. I can also buy an Xbox, a computer, a laptop, or a sound system instead. Or a tennis racket.

Or, probably most important of all, I can buy nothing. If the price of the available products just are not of sufficient value to prompt my purchase, I can walk away entirely and wait until something that piques my interest hits the market.

This simply isn't true of health care. Being sick or injured is not something I chose. The cure for it is specific, there's no competing product. I can't choose to take antibiotics instead of chemotherapy for cancer. Worse, I'm not remotely qualified to assess the effectiveness of various remedies when there is more than one option. Medicine is just too complicated. I am highly reliant on a doctor's advice. And not being treated... isn't really a choice at all. Particularly with serious illnesses or injuries. Life is the most inelastic product there is. The demand curve for continuing to live is infinitely steep. ]

How on earth can we expect the private market to function properly when such fundamental pillars of economics aren't present?

Hm. This has only worked in pretty much every industry and market it has been tried - what makes you think it will work in healthcare?

Because it does not work like that in any country on earth

Back
Top Bottom