• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How to fight book bans — and win

Status
Not open for further replies.

j brown's body

"A Soros-backed animal"
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
"A rising tide of censorship threatens to dash everything from lesbian dragons to Amelia Earhart picture books off the shelves of school and public libraries. Book lovers should take heart. The censors can be beaten. And longtime library advocates have mustered an arsenal of statistics, talking points and legal strategies to keep shelves full and fascinating.

The most powerful fact: Censorship isn’t popular. ...library supporters can point out that censorship has costs and wastes public resources. Libraries have been sued for removing books or restricting access to them on the grounds that it is illegal for public facilities to favor one political viewpoint over another. ...Another fiscal danger spot advocates can spotlight: Bills that make librarians who are public employees legally liable for distributing certain material could result in higher municipal insurance costs.

...Removing books from shelves entirely circumvents parents’ decision-making authority, notes Andrea Jamison, a former elementary school teacher and librarian ...As a librarian, she wouldn’t check out books for children that their parents disapproved of. That’s a better way, she says, to show respect without limiting others’ choices."

Link

Lets hope the appetite for banning school library books could be fading.

"A rising tide of censorship threatens to dash everything from lesbian dragons to Amelia Earhart picture books off the shelves of school and public libraries. Book lovers should take heart. The censors can be beaten. And longtime library advocates have mustered an arsenal of statistics, talking points and legal strategies to keep shelves full and fascinating.

The most powerful fact: Censorship isn’t popular. ...library supporters can point out that censorship has costs and wastes public resources. Libraries have been sued for removing books or restricting access to them on the grounds that it is illegal for public facilities to favor one political viewpoint over another. ...Another fiscal danger spot advocates can spotlight: Bills that make librarians who are public employees legally liable for distributing certain material could result in higher municipal insurance costs.

...Removing books from shelves entirely circumvents parents’ decision-making authority, notes Andrea Jamison, a former elementary school teacher and librarian ...As a librarian, she wouldn’t check out books for children that their parents disapproved of. That’s a better way, she says, to show respect without limiting others’ choices."

Link

It should be a lot harder to ban books than it currently is. Especially in Floriduh.

more books should be banned

Some people get hysterical and want books banned because little Susie and Timmy might see sexuality and/or religion expressed in ways that frighten their parents.

What needs to be asked is, who are the powers that be that go along with this demand to ban books, and why?

No books are being banned by anyone. It's books deemed inappropriate for children that are being restricted in school libraries. You perverts out there can still find these books on Amazon or Barnes & Noble.

Link

Interesting how the WaPoo OpEd doesn't mention the attempted "rewriting" of Dahl's books and the successful "editing" of Ian Fleming's stuff to help keep Leftist Pajama Boys from having mental overloads.

No books are being banned by anyone.

You lie.

It's books deemed inappropriate for children that are being restricted in school libraries. You perverts out there can still find these books on Amazon or Barnes & Noble.

Which "perverts"? Name them or you're lying here too.

You lie.

Which "perverts"? Name them or you're lying here too.

Tell me the title of a book that's been banned in the US in the last 50 years.

Tell me the title of a book that's been banned in the US in the last 50 years.

You didn't answer my question. If you don't, you were lying. :)

Interesting how the WaPoo OpEd doesn't mention the attempted "rewriting" of Dahl's books and the successful "editing" of Ian Fleming's stuff to help keep Leftist Pajama Boys from having mental overloads.
Who are Leftist Pajama Boys?

Leftists sure do seem desperate to get those books depicting children having sex back into school libraries. Almost like they have an agenda.......

No books are being banned by anyone. It's books deemed inappropriate for children that are being restricted in school libraries. You perverts out there can still find these books on Amazon or Barnes & Noble.

"you perverts out there" Who exactly?

Last edited:
You don't even pay your taxes to support libraries or public schools.

"you pervert out there" Who exactly?

I don't have kids I'm a responsible adult. Why should I pay to support public schools?

An Amelia Earhart picture book is pushed by peverts? Really?

Leftists sure do seem desperate to get those books depicting children having sex back into school libraries. Almost like they have an agenda.......

We love our Amelia Earhart picture books.

I don't have kids I'm a responsible adult. Why should I pay to support public schools?
Because that is what a responsible society does.

Lot of people don't have cars, but pay for the upkeep of the roads.

If everyone were deadbeats, we wouldn't have a society to live in.

Not examples of government repression.

Some people get hysterical and want books banned because little Susie and Timmy might see sexuality and/or religion expressed in ways that frighten their parents.

What needs to be asked is, who are the powers that be that go along with this demand to ban books, and why?
I hope those frightened parents have locked away the Bible. Especially the Old Testament.

I just noticed who the WaPoo op-ed author is: Alyssa Rosenberg. She who had zero problem with the child-sexploitation film Cuties (and claiming all opposition of it was Q-anon based).

Seeing as she approved of Cuties, it makes me cringe as to what she thinks of the book Gender Queer

I just noticed who the WaPoo op-ed author is: Alyssa Rosenberg. She who had zero problem with the child-sexploitation film Cuties (and claiming all opposition of it was Q-anon based).

Seeing as she approved of Cuties, it makes me cringe as to what she thinks of the book Gender Queer

Ad hominem attack. And Cuties gas an 87% approval rating by those who actually saw the film.

Because when you are older, those "kids" now will be in charge in the government. Best to get them educated best as possible before they make even more of a mess on Capitol Hill (or in state government, etc.)

Advocating for child mental development without brainwashing is a good thing.

It’s sickening that people want to push sexuality on children.

Monsters.

You should be ashamed, but you have no shame, you just play the blame game, and shift.

OP should read, “How to indoctrinate children so we all lose.”

Link

Lesbian dragons? o////o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom