• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How should the Canadian government handle trade talks with Trump?

Yes_Minister

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Trump often seems to suggest that Canada has massively benefited from NAFTA at the expense of the US, but that is not the case:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/01/...facturing.html?referer=https://www.google.ca/

Manufacturing in Canada Fading Much Faster Than In U.S. Since NAFTA

US officals often seem to believe in slights committed by Canada that do not exist, like Paul Ryan thinking Canada dumps dairy products on the US.

Canada started with a charm offensive and has now switched to more aggressive tactics with a WTO case against the US. Both of these methods have been criticized and Trump's team does not seem to want to act in good faith at these talks.

Trump often seems to suggest that Canada has massively benefited from NAFTA at the expense of the US, but that is not the case:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/01/...facturing.html?referer=https://www.google.ca/

US officals often seem to believe in slights committed by Canada that do not exist, like Paul Ryan thinking Canada dumps dairy products on the US.

Canada started with a charm offensive and has now switched to more aggressive tactics with a WTO case against the US. Both of these methods have been criticized and Trump's team does not seem to want to act in good faith at these talks.

Why don't you actually present both sides of the argument before you even ask?

You can present Trump's side if you want, but I do not think he acts in good faith and too many US officals make up stuff and argue against Canada based on fantasy rather then facts.

You can present Trump's side if you want, but I do not think he acts in good faith and too many US officals make up stuff and argue against Canada based on fantasy rather the facts.

Again, I'll ask you to present both sides of the argument before asking anyone else to do your homework.

This BS was going on long before Trump and you know it.

But please......don't let me interfere.

Again, I'll ask you to present both sides of the argument before asking anyone else to do your homework.

This BS was going on long before Trump and you know it.

But please......don't let me interfere.

What BS are you talking about? The US' unfair trading practices or the arguments against the Canadian dairy and lumber sectors?

Frankly I do think the US was acting unfair on trade before Trump, but I think he is the straw that broke the camel's back and his trade policies against Canada often seem petty and malicious. Sure past US governments have put tariffs on the Canadian lumber and complained about the Canadian dairy system, but Trump presents himself as someone who wants a one sided deal with Canada and if that is not his intenton, that is the face he is showing and why should we not take Trump at face value?

What BS are you talking about? The US' unfair trading practices or the arguments against the Canadian dairy and lumber sectors?

Frankly I do think the US was acting unfair on trade before Trump, but I think he is the straw that broke the camel's back and his trade policies against Canada often seem petty and malicious. Sure past US governments have put tariffs on the Canadian lumber and complained about the Canadian dairy system, but Trump presents himself as someone who wants a one sided deal with Canada and if that is not his intenton, that is the face he is showing and why should we not take Trump at face value?

You presented the one side in your original post. Not my fault.

shrug...

Canada can trot out any tactics they want.

Just remember...it takes two (at least) to tango.

You presented the one side in your original post. Not my fault.

Its a debate site and I put forward an argument, its not my job to put forward the opposition argument, that's not how a debate works.

Its a debate site and I put forward an argument, its not my job to put forward the opposition argument, that's not how a debate works.

You presented a a few biased accusations and then took the cowardly way out by not presenting the facts and arguments.

Cowardly liberalism at best................regardless.

You presented a a few biased accusations and then took the cowardly way out by not presenting the facts and arguments.

Cowardly liberalism at best................regardless.

Really, show me any debate where a debator argues both sides of argument, instead taking one side of an argument and inviting others to challenge them? If you think my points are wrong, then present counter arguments, this posturing wastes my time and I am getting annoyed by you dancing around the issues.

Canada is the US neighbor to the north.

NAFTA was a Clinton administration disaster for the US.

Think outside the box. If President Trump can negotiate a trade deal with Canada, that benefits the United States..... or the US and Canada ; then he should. Trade deals are essentially revenue in people's pockets.

Revenue is money that can be applied and put back in Govt, or use to pay debt..... or apply to other trade deals for more or added benefits. Or..... it can simply just be INCREASED revenue.

Major Lambda

Really, show me any debate where a debator argues both sides of argument, instead taking one side of an argument and inviting others to challenge them? If you think my points are wrong, then present counter arguments, this posturing wastes my time and I am getting annoyed by you dancing around the issues.

Most people get annoyed with one sided hacks trying to present a biased accusation to begin with...............just saying.
'
Which are you here?

Canada is the US neighbor to the north.

NAFTA was a Clinton administration disaster for the US.

Think outside the box. If President Trump can negotiate a trade deal with Canada, that benefits the United States..... or the US and Canada ; then he should. Trade deals are essentially revenue in people's pockets.

Revenue is money that can be applied and put back in Govt, or use to pay debt..... or apply to other trade deals for more or added benefits. Or..... it can simply just be INCREASED revenue.

Major Lambda

A typical greedy USA notion, trade should always favor the US, whether it is legal or the illegal invasions of sovereign nations by the US to steal others wealth; coupled with the usual USA ignorance. Bush 1 wrote and signed NAFTA into existence. Reagan spoke of such an agreement in 1979.

Most people get annoyed with one sided hacks trying to present a biased accusation to begin with...............just saying.
'
Which are you here?

Who gets to define what is a hack argument or not?

Do you have any counter points to make? If not, good day to you sir, please stop wasting my time.

The USA side doesn't want to present their position because they don't know anything about it. And having to do so would require reading, research skills, comprehension of big words, all extremely scary things!!

The USA side doesn't want to present their position because they don't know anything about it. And having to do so would require reading, research skills, comprehension of big words, all extremely scary things!!

Please identify the Americans who will be participating in the trade discussions; I'd like to vet them for myself. I'm going to guess, though, that they are able to read and even comprehend "big words."

So who are they, camlok?

Please identify the Americans who will be participating in the trade discussions; I'd like to vet them for myself. I'm going to guess, though, that they are able to read and even comprehend "big words."

So who are they, camlok?

The US Trade Representative is Robert Lighthizer.

Here is a short video of him:

RetiredUSN and Yes_Minister:

Here you go:

US demands against Canada in the NAFTA negotiations are as follows:

Low Prices of Canadian Softwood Lumber. The U.S. argues that Canadian stumpage fees charged by provincial governments or the Federal government for cutting on crown lands are too low, even though they are in line with similar types of fees in the USA.

Canadian Energy Production Foreign Ownership Restrictions. The U.S. objects to ownership limits in the oil industry and the role of government owned utilities in the electrical energy sectors of the Canadian economy.

Section 19 of the NAFTA Agreement. The U.S. wants this dispute resolution mechanism scrapped or changed to favour U.S. interests rather than being an impartial mechanism for dispute resolution.

Restrictions on U.S. Seed Exports. Canada limits imports to varieties that have been registered in Canada, and the U.S. says the registration system is slow and cumbersome.

Cheese Compositional Standards. The U.S. says the Canadian rules reduce Canada’s demand for U.S. dry milk protein concentrate. Hormone and antibiotic issues make these dry milk products unsuitable for Canadian markets.

Agricultural Supply Management. The U.S. says Canada’s regime severely limits the ability of U.S. farmers to sell into Canada. Unlabelled GMO crops and pesticide-use restrictions are cited by Canada as reasons for keeping these products at a disadvantage.

Special Milk Classes. The U.S. alleges Canada’s Special Milk Class Permit Programme sets up prices that undercut and displace those of similar products from the U.S. Canada argues that US reliance on hormones and antibiotics in milk production makes those products unsuitable for Canadian consumption.

Restrictions on U.S. Grain Exports. The U.S. believes Canadian policies limit the ability of U.S. exporters to receive a premium grade for their products. U.S. farmers say this means their grain can only be sold in Canada as animal feed.

The Personal Duty Exemption. Most Canadians are aware that they can only buy so much stuff duty free while on vacation outside the country: $200 after trips of more than 24 hours, and $800 for trips of more than 48 hours. The U.S. says this is less generous than its own duty-free exemptions.

De Minimis Threshold. The U.S. says that at $20, Canada has the lowest threshold for which no duty or tax is charged on imported items. In the U.S., the threshold is $800.

Wine, Beer and Spirits: The U.S. says Canada’s various alcohol retailing policies stop Canadians from buying U.S. booze. The U.S. has challenged B.C.’s provincial retailing rules under the WTO. The U.S. also says it’s studying the trade implications of Ontario’s move to let grocery stores sell wine. The U.S. is also looking at Quebec’s policies.

Aerospace Sector Support. The report takes note of loans and other assistance that Canada and Quebec have made to Bombardier, particularly for the development of the C-Series aircraft. Boeing filed an official complaint with the U.S. Department of Commerce and U.S. International Trade Commission seeking an anti-dumping, countervailing duties on the C-Series. However Boeing received $ 13 billion US in Federal, state and local support while Bombardier received about $ 2.5 billion Can.

Government Procurement. The U.S. says NAFTA and the WTO Agreement on Government Procurement should enable U.S. businesses to bid on most federal and provincial contracts. The report also notes that Hydro-Quebec has a local content requirement for some green energy projects, and says these pose hurdles for U.S. companies working in Canada’s renewable energy sector.

Intellectual Property Rights Protection. The U.S. flags this as a “continuing priority.” The U.S. welcomed a recent Canadian move to extend protection on some sound recordings to 70 years from 50 years, but the U.S. says it still has concerns on Canadian law regarding pharmaceuticals. The U.S. is also concerned about the “due process and transparency” of the geographical indications or point-of-origin labelling system in Canada. The U.S. adds it’s also concerned that Canadian law doesn’t allow for the inspection of possible counterfeit goods from overseas that may be passing through Canada on their way to the U.S.

Telecommunications. The U.S. describes Canada’s 46.7 per cent foreign ownership limit on Canadian telecom companies as “one of the most restrictive regimes among developed countries.”

Continued next post.

Last edited:
Canadian Content in Broadcasting. The report makes note of several “Can-con” requirements for Canadian broadcasters and cable companies. The U.S. also says it is “highly concerned” about the CRTC’s decision not to permit “simultaneous substitution” of advertising during the Super Bowl.

Investment Barriers. The report takes note of the hurdles, such as the “net-benefit” to Canada test, that some foreign buyers must clear before acquiring some Canadian companies.

Data Localization. The U.S. says a tender for a Canadian federal government “cloud” storage project requires the data be stored on servers physically located within Canada. The U.S. says this effectively prevents U.S. companies for bidding on the project. The U.S. also takes note of provincial legislation in B.C. and Nova Scotia that requires personal information in the custody of a public body to be physically stored within Canada.

See the link below for a description of most of the above points. They can be found between pp. 65-73 on the document.

https://ustr.gov/sites/default/files/files/reports/2017/NTE/2017 NTE.pdf

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

Last edited:
A typical greedy USA notion, trade should always favor the US, whether it is legal or the illegal invasions of sovereign nations by the US to steal others wealth; coupled with the usual USA ignorance. Bush 1 wrote and signed NAFTA into existence. Reagan spoke of such an agreement in 1979.

EVERY nation wishes trade to be in their favor. Nothing evil about that.

And Bush 1 signed the DRAFT. Clinton went before congress with it and signed the final.

EVERY nation wishes trade to be in their favor. Nothing evil about that.

And Bush 1 signed the DRAFT. Clinton went before congress with it and signed the final.

Except the Trump administration seems to think only needs to be favourable to the US.

Well, isn't this just about the dumbest post I've seen in awhile.
Tell me something, when was the last time anybody started a discussion or debate by presenting both sides? You want another side presented, you do it. That's how this works.

Back
Top Bottom