• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How About We Give The Administrations Puerto Rican Relief Efforts a Chance?

I am just sick of the uninformed bias news blaming the president who did his job declaring a national disaster and turned FEMA over to these incompetent criminals. If it was me I would declare martial law and take control of the situation from these incompetent crooks.

There are certainly people out there blaming Trump -- perhaps prematurely -- but when you conflate talking heads, op-ed writers, late-night comedians, social media posters, and legitimate reporters as "fake news," you not only unfairly discredit hard-working journalists, you blur the lines between opinion and fact-based reporting. It's a broken narrative. We must once again learn to differentiate between the front page and the op-ed page.

There are certainly people out there blaming Trump -- perhaps prematurely -- but when you conflate talking heads, op-ed writers, late-night comedians, social media posters, and legitimate reporters as "fake news," you not only unfairly discredit hard-working journalists, you blur the lines between opinion and fact-based reporting. It's a broken narrative. We must once again learn to differentiate between the front page and the op-ed page.

No the media needs to become credible again. People who for decades watched the news religiously every evening are now turning it off in disgust.

the best news i have heard about this situation is that the corps of engineers has been assigned to re-build the island's infrastructure
assuming the corps is not limited by budgetary constraints, PR will wind up with first rate construction, designed to withstand future storms
its citizens will become better off in the long run

That would be ideal.

They will need to straddle the lines between the quickest and the best and the most durable.

UPS is apparently delivering there, now. I have just ordered a little solar package to set up a temporary solution for a friend down there. Order from Amazon here and then ship it via UPS to PR. Crazy...

My whole life is based on electricity. I just can't imagine...

Maybe instead of comparing the situation to what you personally know, and maybe instead of bending over backwards to justify this president's weak response to the disaster, you should listen to people who are actually there, doing the hard work so that people might survive. For example:

Puerto Rico schools may not reopen for weeks - CNN
https://www.yahoo.com/news/apos-something-close-genocide-apos-220927532.html

Things were devastated there. That's the situation.

It's a tropical paradise that has 3.5 million people living there. While the relief effort is underway, the reconstruction is also moving forward. Two separate but related projects. Around here, when one of the freeways is under construction, it's a gigantic pain my rear.

Down there, EVERYTHING is under construction. I think I heard that 90% of the local crops were just wiped away. It's astonishing.

I wonder who got the Orange Barrel contract...

THey are not fully Americans....they are not as good as us.

There, I said it.

TOO MUCH LIKE HAITI

NOT ENOUGH LIKE REAL AMERICANS!

Wish I'd seen this earlier - would have saved me some time knowing better than to respond to arguments rooted in racism/bigotry.

Back
Top Bottom