• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

House GOP votes to gut IRS budget

And why did our Founding Fathers choose a strong central government after having tried a loose confederation? Think about that for a while.

And just like when it comes to education, you don't make a government agency work better by slashing its budget.

I'm not sure why that's here, or there, but this is a perfect example of why they chose three branches of government, with seperate powers: to keep one ranch from over-exerting it's power.

People can correct the problem now by voting for better candidates.
This is clearly not true. When power is centralized far away from where it is exercised accountability diminishes.

Unfortunately there are no better candidates being put up by any party and it doesn't matter if it's local, state or federal elections, they all suck. People no longer run for office to make a difference, they run for office for power, control and money. The idea of public service doesn't exist in politics anymore, it's all about feathering your own nest and the nest of your party. Corruption exists everywhere. How many governors of Illinois are in prison right now? How many mayors of cities are in prison right now? These are all people who are voted into office by their constituents yet were crooks.
Candidates are not the issue. Power centralized is the issue.

And the idea that you can go "influence" a politician is childish. Violence or threats are immature. These people are elected collectively, just because you don't like it, doesn't give you the right to take them out on your own.
I don't know. I have met my representative face to face. I know that I do not like him. Ii know that I can talk to my state representative and senator far easier than I can talk to the guy who lives in Washington.

When you lost your testicles was it painful?

Congressional term limits would go a very long way towards fixing the legislative branch.
Not just Congress. The judicial branch needs term limits. No supreme court justice should serve more than about a decade.

Then the noose or retirement.

And why did our Founding Fathers choose a strong central government after having tried a loose confederation? Think about that for a while.

And just like when it comes to education, you don't make a government agency work better by slashing its budget.
Are you familiar with the actual document? The Federal government agreed to was limited primarily with dealing with external issues and making sure that states treated one another fairly. That is about it.

Today we have a monster loose and it is the most dangerous threat to our liberties that exists.

The IRS should take at least as big a cut as the defense department.

Are you familiar with the actual document? The Federal government agreed to was limited primarily with dealing with external issues and making sure that states treated one another fairly. That is about it.

Today we have a monster loose and it is the most dangerous threat to our liberties that exists.

The IRS should take at least as big a cut as the defense department.

Really? The budget for the IRS has declined for three straight years already. The IRS budget is less than $13 billion, whereas the Defense budget is $643 billion. The real killer is that it's the IRS that ensures the tax revenue stream for everything else, including Defense...

...and to make matters even worse, HONEST taxpayers are still going to be paying the same amount of taxes - cutting the IRS is doing NOTHING but enabling DISHONEST people to safely cheat on paying the taxes they should be paying anyway.

Because of all that, it is eminently stupid to continue to cut the IRS.

Really? The budget for the IRS has declined for three straight years already. The IRS budget is less than $13 billion, whereas the Defense budget is $643 billion. The real killer is that it's the IRS that ensures the tax revenue stream for everything else, including Defense...

...and to make matters even worse, HONEST taxpayers are still going to be paying the same amount of taxes - cutting the IRS is doing NOTHING but enabling DISHONEST people to safely cheat on paying the taxes they should be paying anyway.

Maybe the White House and the IRS should have considered that before they decided to harrass innocent Americans.

I disagree. One of the main reasons congress is so corrupt is that too many politicians make it a lifetime career. The longer they stay in office, the more entrenched their power becomes. If we had term limits, Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid for instance would be gone.

And they'd be replaced by people who, like them, are looking for power and money, but since they know that they have only one or two terms to make it happen and they can't get re-elected, they'd be only worried about making backroom deals and garnering money and influence for themselves and their parties. The problem isn't how long these people serve, it's that we give them so much power to begin with, that we give the political parties so much power that the point of being elected isn't to serve the public interest, it's to make a buck and claim power. The system is inherently corrupt and we have to change the system or we'll never stop the politicians, even the most well-meaning ones, from being corrupted by it.

I don't know. I have met my representative face to face. I know that I do not like him. Ii know that I can talk to my state representative and senator far easier than I can talk to the guy who lives in Washington.

And yet, your representative is still your representative. Imagine that. Living close didn't magically make them a better person.

When you lost your testicles was it painful?

About as painful as when you lost your mind.

And why did our Founding Fathers choose a strong central government after having tried a loose confederation? Think about that for a while

They didn't choose a strong central government. Read up on "Separation of Powers".

You certainly do make a government agency work better by forcing it to live within it's means.

And they'd be replaced by people who, like them, are looking for power and money, but since they know that they have only one or two terms to make it happen and they can't get re-elected, they'd be only worried about making backroom deals and garnering money and influence for themselves and their parties. The problem isn't how long these people serve, it's that we give them so much power to begin with, that we give the political parties so much power that the point of being elected isn't to serve the public interest, it's to make a buck and claim power. The system is inherently corrupt and we have to change the system or we'll never stop the politicians, even the most well-meaning ones, from being corrupted by it.

You are a bit too cynical for me. The abuse of power in congress mostly comes from entrenched power. Term limits would certainly trim the corruption significantly.

Maybe the White House and the IRS should have considered that before they decided to harrass innocent Americans.

Well, if "harassment of innocent Americans" is the yardstick by which we should decide whether to cut someone's budget, there goes ALL the police stations, ALL law enforcement agencies...and almost every other part of the government, too - including the DOD.

In other words, you're just searching for something to gripe about.

They didn't choose a strong central government. Read up on "Separation of Powers".

You certainly do make a government agency work better by forcing it to live within it's means.

"Separation of Powers" does not equal "limited government". Read up on it yourself.

And can you point out any significant examples of how any major government agency anywhere has EVER been made to "work better by forcing it to live within its means"?

Didn't think so. Texas has the lowest rate of educational attainment in the nation. And 41% of ALL Texas teachers have to have second jobs in order to make ends meet. But in YOUR world, forcing those teachers to get second jobs in order to make ends meet SHOULD have made Texas the educational wunderkind of the nation....

Well, if "harassment of innocent Americans" is the yardstick by which we should decide whether to cut someone's budget, there goes ALL the police stations, ALL law enforcement agencies...and almost every other part of the government, too - including the DOD.

In other words, you're just searching for something to gripe about.

LOL !

A ridiculous statement like that speaks for itself.

I don't think there's really anything more to add.

"Are you familiar with the actual document? The Federal government agreed to was limited primarily with dealing with external issues and making sure that states treated one another fairly. That is about it.

The IRS should take at least as big a cut as the defense department."

Yes. Really. If the defense department takes a 10% cut then let all of the government take the same level of cuts. The IRS needs to be eliminated.Let the states collect the taxes and decide just how much to send the the federal government.

You lack imagination. The feds are a massive drain on the wealth of the nation. It is time to end most of it. Let it begin with the IRS and the EPA. States can collect the taxes and choose to provide money to the federal government only for those services that are Constitutional.

"I don't know. I have met my representative face to face. I know that I do not like him. Ii know that I can talk to my state representative and senator far easier than I can talk to the guy who lives in Washington."
And yet, your representative is still your representative. Imagine that. Living close didn't magically make them a better person.
I do not want him to be a better person. I want him to be my son of a bitch in Washington fighting people like you. That is why I voted for him again.

"When you lost your testicles was it painful?"
About as painful as when you lost your mind.
As I didn't lose my mind and so had no pain, I shall assume that you did not actually notice...

You are a bit too cynical for me. The abuse of power in congress mostly comes from entrenched power. Term limits would certainly trim the corruption significantly.

You just keep repeating that and haven't produced any evidence that shows that you're right. We've tried term limits and it hasn't made the corruption go away. Most major political offices are of limited term. They're still corrupt. So where is any evidence whatsoever that you're correct and politicians are going to magically become decent people, just because they can only be elected to their office once or twice?

"Are you familiar with the actual document? The Federal government agreed to was limited primarily with dealing with external issues and making sure that states treated one another fairly. That is about it.

The IRS should take at least as big a cut as the defense department."

Yes. Really. If the defense department takes a 10% cut then let all of the government take the same level of cuts. The IRS needs to be eliminated.Let the states collect the taxes and decide just how much to send the the federal government.

You lack imagination. The feds are a massive drain on the wealth of the nation. It is time to end most of it. Let it begin with the IRS and the EPA. States can collect the taxes and choose to provide money to the federal government only for those services that are Constitutional.

"{the IRS is} a massive drain on the wealth of the nation."

Just like the FBI is a 'massive drain' on the law and order of the nation, and schools are a 'massive drain' on the education of the nation.

Incredible. Absolutely freaking incredible.

Here is what I wrote,"The feds are a massive drain on the wealth of the nation."

and this is what you, a liar and a fraud, quoted me as saying:

Just like the FBI is a 'massive drain' on the law and order of the nation, and schools are a 'massive drain' on the education of the nation.

You are dismissed.

You just keep repeating that and haven't produced any evidence that shows that you're right. We've tried term limits and it hasn't made the corruption go away. Most major political offices are of limited term. They're still corrupt. So where is any evidence whatsoever that you're correct and politicians are going to magically become decent people, just because they can only be elected to their office once or twice?

money is what causes the corruption

we have to make being a politician a service job again...not the way to get rich

we need to completely gut lobbyists

we need to completely eradicate corporate donations

we need to eradicate pac money

you, as an individual should be able to donate to the politicians of your choice....but it should be anonymous, and limited to $ 2000 per federal office, $ 1000 state, and $ 500 local

the money goes to a central receiving unit, headed by a big 4 company

every week the donations are doled out to the candidates from the agency

no one knows who gave to who, other than the big 4 audit company

that way votes are bought....politicians are no longer beholden to the guys who fill their war chests

until we solve this, we will never get our representative government back

Here is what I wrote,"The feds are a massive drain on the wealth of the nation."

and this is what you, a liar and a fraud, quoted me as saying:

You are dismissed.

Um, 'scuse you, but you really should take a look at what you said:

The feds are a massive drain on the wealth of the nation. It is time to end most of it. Let it begin with the IRS and the EPA.

And that specifically shows you meant the IRS (and the EPA) as part of what you referred to as "The feds".

I quoted you as:

And since you clearly meant the IRS to be a part of "The feds", my quotation of your words is accurate. Perhaps I should have stated "{the IRS comprises a significant part of} a massive drain on the wealth of the nation." But in any case, your suggestion that the economy would be better off with a weaker IRS is very much like saying our society would have less crime if we had fewer cops and a weaker judiciary.

money is what causes the corruption

we have to make being a politician a service job again...not the way to get rich

we need to completely gut lobbyists

we need to completely eradicate corporate donations

we need to eradicate pac money

you, as an individual should be able to donate to the politicians of your choice....but it should be anonymous, and limited to $ 2000 per federal office, $ 1000 state, and $ 500 local

the money goes to a central receiving unit, headed by a big 4 company

every week the donations are doled out to the candidates from the agency

no one knows who gave to who, other than the big 4 audit company

that way votes are bought....politicians are no longer beholden to the guys who fill their war chests

until we solve this, we will never get our representative government back

Oh, I agree, the trick is how do you get any of that done without involving any of the politicians who benefit from keeping the system the way it is?

Oh, I agree, the trick is how do you get any of that done without involving any of the politicians who benefit from keeping the system the way it is?

it has to be a people's resolution on every ballot

how many people do you think would sign such a petition, and vote accordingly?

the rich, and their corporate buddies would of course try to stop it

but cant the people get items on the ballot? i believe they can.....

when there is a will, there is a way

question is....do we have the will?

it has to be a people's resolution on every ballot

how many people do you think would sign such a petition, and vote accordingly?

the rich, and their corporate buddies would of course try to stop it

but cant the people get items on the ballot? i believe they can.....

when there is a will, there is a way

question is....do we have the will?

That's idealism though and idealism doesn't work out well in the real world. In my experience, every time the voters put through something to change the political landscape, like redistricting, the political machine roars to life and fights it tooth and nail and either defeats it in court or has it declared unconstitutional or just ignores it. No, the American people do not have the will because at this point, another revolution may be the only way to actually change things. It probably cannot be changed any other way.

"Separation of Powers" does not equal "limited government". Read up on it yourself.

Sure it does. It includes checks and balances to hopefully prevent rogue leaders like Barack Hussein Obama from declaring themselves a king.

And can you point out any significant examples of how any major government agency anywhere has EVER been made to "work better by forcing it to live within its means"?

Yes...for example the sequester. The Budget Sequester Is a Success > Hawaii Free Press

Didn't think so.

Do you think that everyone who posts in this forum monitors the boards 24 hours a day?

Texas has the lowest rate of educational attainment in the nation.

The single biggest drag on educational attainment in Texas is dealing with out of control immigration. California has the same problem.
Why Does Texas Rank Last in High School Diplomas? | The Texas Tribune

41% of ALL Texas teachers have to have second jobs in order to make ends meet. But in YOUR world, forcing those teachers to get second jobs in order to make ends meet SHOULD have made Texas the educational wunderkind of the nation....

The average salary for a teacher in Texas in just under $49,000 annually. In the high range they make over $106,000. What's the problem? A lot of people making much less don't have a problem making ends meet.

Back
Top Bottom